What would you like to see in a Social Network?

• ben_sigma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: South Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all, What in your opinion do you find appealing in a social networking site.
e.g. The ability to write blogs, Be Customizable, good messaging facilities.

What would you like to see in a social network?

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

nothing really, I am all over social networks ... it was cool and all, but I think it's time for something else ... for me at least ...
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to agree with Righteous its time to move on. The minorly useful social networking sites have been out for quite a while (didn't MySpace just turn 4 or 5 recently?) and I think from here out the new ones will have a vary hard time competing in a very crowded market.

So that said my advise is to come up with a special useful feature all your own and not simply try to replicate what people like about the already existing market. Because if people already like whats available elsewhere why would they make the effort to move to your site?
  • ben_sigma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am planing on having a lot of local competitions and working with local businesses. Also i would like to have a large content section where locals can display art music and video created by locals.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you done any research with you're locals? If you haven't you need to, or you might find yourself putting a lot of effort into something that isn't going to fly. In other words, go door to door and do surveys and talk to them to find out if you are even going to have any who would be the least bit interested. Targeting local businesses on a site like that is going to be super tough. Business are too concerned about running there businesses to worry about a social network website.

//btw, I agree with the others. Social networking sites don't hold a lot of interest for me. Great for kids or stretching it a bit adult dating communities fare well, but honestly don't think your idea is going to fly. Don't want to sound discouraging but it's the way I view it.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

Lots and lots of people, period.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ben_sigma wrote:
Hi all, What in your opinion do you find appealing in a social networking site.
e.g. The ability to write blogs, Be Customizable, good messaging facilities.

Thanks

Social network that is full of interaction with other members and spam free social network.
  • wanna kill
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

these sites are useless for me. i think so.

thanks
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think one with lots and lots of wiggets but I am with most people sorry but networking sites have had there day even bebo and myspace are not getting many members any more the popularly now lies in MMO's.

If you were to make one I would have to say try making it in flash.
That not been tried yet.
  • martinsejas123
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I would like to see in a social network are features that are modifiable so that users can customize the design of their pages to their own liking. Facebook with some of the flexible design characteristics of MySpace would be great.
  • littlephoenix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

you must have something unique, e.g myspace now has mafia wars, which people are playing and love, the question is, what and how :)
  • ben_sigma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, i have done a bit of research in my area and small surrounding areas and the overall feeling is quite positive.

A feature i have added is a real world game section.

The real world games are games that me and a few of my mates set up around the town. Like scavenger hunts, searches, races, etc.
Users register to the game as an individual or team.
Then complete the game and post their results. Or bring the results to a specific meeting place for dated events.
Winners recieve prizes for local business or donated by local businesses.

As for Social Networking Dying. I dont believe that is a true statement.
Yes it is true that i dont really find it exciting or usefull to use facebook/ myspace etc, but im a computer person. Computer people dont find it exciting because it has been around so long.
People who arent completely computer litterate as us love social networking. it gives them a bit of control over the machine. The younger generation loves it.
Each generation goes through a stage of social networking.
And of course registration numbers on myspace and bebo have slowed.
Everybody has some form of social networking.
When the sites where released up until recently many didnt have it. So they all registered hence high registration numbers.
They still recieve uber amounts of traffic.

Thanks for the comments.
  • krissybee14
  • Born
  • Born
  • krissybee14

Post 3+ Months Ago

:) I would want social networking sites to be more accessible. Like stumbleupon... It is so nice to have controls like that when you just see the progress in your status bar... Not just go to the site on which you are a member of...
  • 48ways
  • Born
  • Born
  • 48ways

Post 3+ Months Ago

Someone once told me I would be addicted to FB. Never was after signing up and finding a bunch of friends. I don't see what the big deal is other than it's interesting to connect with the people from the past. I wanna check out twitter and see why that's so awesome as well.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Facebook has started to do this already with its [forgot codename] that tracks where you went on the web so others see it. That is only the first step.

I want what valve via steam has done.
Friend list, showing what game you are in, you can join the game and even the server to instantly go to them. Message them ingame without having to alt tab (shift tab instead, but its overlay of game, not exit). Ability to play games with friends, HUGE!

Being able to skype call them from the website. TTS! SMS!

If they have iphone/otherwannabe with geo, ability for facebook app to turn on google maps and see where they are at! Go meet them at the bowling alley or whatnot. Perfect stalker tool too!

I also would want one that is ad-free.
  • kikwete
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kikwete

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am making a Social Network for my town called Barbourville. I need suggestions for names that I should call it.

The website will connect people who where from the area, display news from the area, have profiles like other social networks along other things.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

connect-barbourville?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts