Dreamweaver
  •  
    Other

What do you use most to code?

• Layzie Bone
  • Layzie Bone
  • Loc: Hayesville, NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

You guys will rip on me big time, i'm not exactly what you would call a skilled coder, not that i cant do it, but read my name :P, depending on what is in the page such as a flash objeect I use either MS Word, which is decent for most things except it can't handle a flash object, it will actually remove it from the page. So with that problem I'll use Open Office's HTML editor, but I do not pefer it, it's error free, but if you're used to MS's junk then it's hard to get used to. Naturally if i need to add script, like a counter or something I'll pull out notepad.

Ever notice if you open some php files in notepad it doesn't show up correctly? Using wordpad is usually the solution to that.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

You use ms word?!!?

Whoa boy...I'm gonna stay out of this one.....*grumbles about excessive code that does nothing*
  • Layzie Bone
  • Layzie Bone

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh yeah all that junk at the top of the file, it is pointless, it's IE optimized :? like over half the file is filled with that junk...
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not just the stuff in the header, Word puts in positioning tags for about every letter of content, heh. So basically what would normally be a 2 or 3K page ends up being about 30-40K per page, heh.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a big fan of dreamweaver. Mainly because of it's upload/download and file management abilities, but the new mx2004 has excellent css support.

When it comes to php, there's no need for WYSIWYG, but as far as design is concerned, when I'm brainstorming a layout I do it in the wysiwyg and then after I have my idea I CSS it to death. Straight hand-coding until the page loads lightning quick and all the garbage tags have been removed.

The line numbering also comes in handy when error-checking. "Syntax error on line 46" doesn't exactly help much if you can't see the numbers (eg Notepad).

Dreamweaver forever. Might have to try the Zend tools one of these days, but last trial version didn't help me one bit. Any php developers using the zend soft?
  • Layzie Bone
  • Layzie Bone

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
It's not just the stuff in the header, Word puts in positioning tags for about every letter of content, heh. So basically what would normally be a 2 or 3K page ends up being about 30-40K per page, heh.

no kidding. I dont MS Word for anything, not just the fact it's crummy with webpages but it often crashes and hangs. Also doesn't allow simple html stuff, like table background images...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just saw a link to Nvu WYSIWIG editor at another tech board I frequent. Looks promising and it's open source, and here's the kicker - it's design for Linux desktop. Haven't tried it yet, but like I said, looks promising.

http://www.nvu.com/
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Other. I started with vi and emacs in '93, then moved on to Notepad, and then to Nick Bradbury's HomeSite. Then Allaire bought it, and it got kinda chubby. Then Macromedia bought it, and it got downright obese. However, I continued to use it, until Nick came through again, with TopStyle.

The only pseudo-wysiwyg editor I've tried is Dreamweaver. I've attempted to work with every version that's been released, and I keep going back to a text editor. Wait, no, I tried NetObjects Fusion once, and I'm not sure I've ever been that flummoxed by an application.

Anyway, I absolutely love TopStyle. What started out as a CSS editor is now a full-fledged CSS/XHTML editor. Bobby, HTML Tidy, syntax highlighting, collapsible rules, clip library (code snippets - very handy), tag inspector, the works. It's sleek, and very customizable. Pro version ain't cheap, but it's worth every penny. The Lite version's free, and nice to get your toes wet. Plays well with other apps (integrates into HomeSite, Dreamweaver, and others). Best of all, the whole thing's under 4mb. Not as svelte as some other editors, but still very sexy.
  • phpSelectah
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
I'm a big fan of EditPlus (http://www.editplus.com) due to its syntax highlighting support (you can download custom file formats for syntax highlighting if the application doesn't natively support it), and its built-in FTP client. This allows me remote editing of files directly rather than having to transfer them to my PC, edit, upload, reload the page to test, edit, upload, reload to test, edit, upload, reload to test, etc..

Now, it's just...

Edit, CTRL+S, ALT+Tab, F5 :D

yup editplus for me too :D

on BSD its gotta be vi and quanta though !

Quanta has everything editplus does except it speaks fish and has a GUI that lets you collapse functions in the edit window m which
is pretty awesome. It gets a 10 in my book.
  • fivebyfive
  • Loc: Moon, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll have to check out EditPlus too.

I currently use CoffeeCup ($49 for life--free upgrades) and the only knock that I have it that it sometimes runs out of juice if you're working for long hours switching between the html and the preview screen a lot.

Same as other products already mentioned: color syntax, ftp upload built in. It's got a Preview mode, and a Quickview mode (see the screens as you type the HTML which is kinda cool - and it supports javascript, css and dhtml) Lotsa snippets, wizards, application launch setups, and other minor stuff.

But....I use it plain vanilla.....a color-syntaxed notepad with shortcut keys, use the ftp upload, and quick launch other apps from it. That's about it.

For the php/perl side of (Linux) things, my soon-to-be-arthritic hands only use VI. I guess it all comes down to: use what you know and what you're comfortable with!
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

List ur Favorites Web design tools(software)?
  • Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: ChicagoLand, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Photoshop and Dreamweaver, only tools I use...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to only use a combination of notepad and self written browser based utilities untill I read so many good things about HTML-Kit here on Ozzu. I'll rate HTML-Kit like this, I have access to dreamweaverMX for free and still don't want it.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Photoshop & EditPlus :)
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro for graphics.
1stPage 2000 for html and Netscape composter for quick tables.
TopStyle for style sheets.
Html-Kit is nice, but I prefer 1stPage.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe Type Manager, Flash, Dreamweaver, Visual Studio.NET, http://www.w3c.org/ , http://www.ozzu.com/ , Flash, 3D Studio MAX, IE-Moz-Opera, Ace FTP, Source-Off-Site, Sound Forge, AllWebMenus......to name a few.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe Type Manager, Flash, Dreamweaver, Visual Studio.NET, http://www.w3c.org/ , http://www.ozzu.com/ , Flash, 3D Studio MAX, IE-Moz-Opera, Ace FTP, Source-Off-Site, Sound Forge, AllWebMenus......to name a few.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

• pbrasilbr_brasil
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • pbrasilbr_brasil
  • Loc: Brazil

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm...
Dreamweaver MX , Absolute Edit, Flash MX 2004, Notepad, Adobe Photoshop 7 , CoffeeCup Scrollbar Maker, CoffeeCup Flash Text Wizard, Swish2 Max & AllWebMenus.

Most of my CSS i do on Dreamweaver, AbsoluteEdit only as a text-only edit toll with preview... Flash and Photoshop for graphics (Sure i use flash for animation too), Swish2Max for Flash Text effects and Allwebmenbus to design my menus...

And...u can design tables easier on Dreamweaver...
bye =)
Pablo.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:

No kidding right? Has this this already been covered a FEW times?
  • stewis
  • stewis

Post 3+ Months Ago

my aps i use:

PHP: Maguma Studio Pro (1.3.2)
MySQL: MySQLFront (3)
Design: Photoshop 7
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*sighs - gsv2com - I see a couple missed my hint anyway. *wink - Once again, I'm going to lock this repetative question and merge it with the original. Later today I'll get around to merging these with the original topic.

For those who want to continue this discussion, please do so in the orignal question I linked to above from last October.

http://www.ozzu.com/website-design-forum/what-you-use-most-code-t1887.html
  • Alderak
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Australia, Vic, Melbourne

Post 3+ Months Ago

hms is it realy that bad to post a topic if you didn't know its there? :'(

anyways i'm posting on behalf of that locked topic and all the people who make this site of ours great :)

i said....

Hmms i'm hearing alot about dreamweaver Isn't that a flash program?
oh well
i like to generate my starting script (frontpage)
then i add graphics Jasc paintshop and just for a bonus i add flash yousing macromedia derector :) sounds i make with ulead media studio and after i get al that i'm broke :)

coincidently cant we have some more frind forum smilies i usually sml like a maniac but i'm not sure about this site the
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks to ATNO/TW, my new HTML editor is HTML-Kit. 8)
I use photoshop for the graphics.
I use notepad for quick two second changes to the file if it's on my local disk. If the file is already uploaded and I just need to change something small I use the HTML editor in cuteFTP.

for PERL I'll use vi on unix or notepad if using windows.
For CGI with C I'll use gcc and vi, and I'll do it with putty through SSH remotely on my server.

Browser for testing.... Internet Explorer, I should really get some other browsers but my computer won't be able to handle it. :(
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tom the Great wrote:
I should really get some other browsers but my computer won't be able to handle it. :(

Head on over to Opera for a copy of their web browser.
http://www.opera.com
Not only is it multi-platform, it's also a small footprint browser (only 3.2 MB for the non-java version). it's very fast, very stable, doesn't need a fast machine to operate and more closely follows the standards set forth by the W3C.

Do yourself a favor and download it, you won't be sorry :)

Cheers...

C.C.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to have opera, but I can't remember why I got rid of it. :?
Well, I just downloaded it again, and it's pretty fast, I tried mozzila before but I didn't like how it took to long to start up. So thanks for reminding me about it.
Opera is much better looking then IE as well. 8)
  • David
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • David

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use: Notepad ++
Thats great for HTML and CSS also XML.

David.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.notepad.org/
"...the world's most versatile HTML editing tool..."

Some of this writeup is hilarious :)

Cheers...

C.C.
  • homeworker
  • Born
  • Born
  • homeworker

Post 3+ Months Ago

And i use/and have begin with Maguma Studio Free, but now i have purchase Maguma Workbench, a cool tool!

Question why the poll is not each month new, with also new editors!
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

My favorite editor at the moment is Edwin. If it weren't that, it would either be Emacs or Textpad.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 97 posts