•  
    Other

What do you use most to code?

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since I'm tied for first in my football pool this week and since a couple posts inspired me, and I start my new job tomorrow, I just thought I'd post this just for the heck of it. (don't mind me, I'm just happy today)

What do you use to write code for HTML/XHTML websites?

(Poll included above)

(My "Other" vote is HTML-kit)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am so excited for you! I really hope your new job goes well, i am sure you make lots of new friends and learn some very interesting things, you have a lot of skills to offer so no doubt they are going to love you! :D

As for your little poll, as by now you all now I am a FP geek, I use it and tweak the code myself, other bits and peices I do in Wordpad :D
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Dreamweaver, but I code entirely by hand, I don't use the WYSIWYG side of Dreamweaver, I have no idea of it's capabilities actually....lol.

So why do I use it then? Color coding, and the included Javascript, CSS, and HTML references. Without those I wouldn't have ever learned any of those languages, now i'm pretty good at it but for some things that I don't use often I have to refer back to those references so they are quite handy.

My 2nd place is Notepad, it's great for quick edits of files and is just simple and fast to use altogether.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I voted for other, being Context, it has a lot of different highlighting schemes, and I believe you can even add your own (so if you create a function or what not)
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm more like lostinbeta,

I work with Dreamweaver if only for the sake of the file management and upload facilities (which really does help timewise), and css.

Occasionally I might also set up a table using Dreamweaver, but 95% of the time I delete it and format the table by code. Then I use Dreamweaver WYSIWYG again to click on the table cells, which finds the place in the code that I want to insert code for that particular cell, and so on...

I have to admit, I steered clear of Frontpage for no other reason than it being from Microsoft and have no experience with it. Is it worth giving a try over dreamweaver!?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depends on how much you already know with Dreamweaver. Being MS software aside (someone had to make money from software) I dont have any hassles with it. Like any program you still need a fair amount of HTML knowledge so you can tweak things but generally it makes things a lot easier.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sometimes I think it's how you started. I learned HTML in Notepad and Wordpad. I've tried about a half dozen WYSIWYG editors including Frontpage and Dreamweaver. The end result is I always go back to writing the code plain and simple. I have never yet been able to get them to do something like I want it. I do like the Flash stuff built into Dreamweaver, but that's about it.

For those who do like doing their stuff in text editors, I do recommend HTML-kit. It's open source and has some great features for validating and editing code including HTML Tidy -- and you just can't beat the price -$0.00

Info:
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
Download:
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/download/
Plugins:
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/plugins/
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

WYSIWYG is just for fun, I mean what else would something with such a weird name be used for other then fun (is it pronounced y-seye-wig?). I learned in geocites advanced editor, I never even used their template system. Then I moved to notepad, and now context. I have made some goofy pages in Dreamweaver, but all of my "real" projects are done the "real" way ;).

//Note the underlying humor, I am not an idiot ;)

ATNO- I might try html-kit, does it manage to colorcode the text of several documents without being a massive memory hog?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember when I first started making websites back in 93' All I had was a text editor to make the pages, now I do it the easy way!! After all who the hell is really looking at your codes anyway? As long as the page loads fine and it looks right in browsers.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

93? there was a www in 93? *checks history books*...
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep there sure was! :lol:

I also remember in the same year doing my very first "web cam" experience from Australia to America at my teachers house. We used a normal video camera and there were a billion cords all over the place.
The picture was rather pixelated and distorted, the sounds was rather *plum* but at the time it felt like we had just been the first people to land on the moon!

:D
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ah yes there were already 2.06 million internet hosts then, compared to the 23 only 20 years earlier. And then the 15 Million in 1996.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeppers :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer -- download it -- I guarantee you you'll be hooked in less than a half hour.

Colors for code....
Line numbers for editing.
HTML Tidy for validating and pointing out errors.

How about this? Convert your HTML 4.1 docs to XHTML in three clicks...not to mention the .asp .jsp .php support with added plugins.

I can also edit perl scripts, javascripts, template files, etc, etc...with zero issues. It has never crashed on me except when my dinosaur win98 ran out of system resources.

I think you'll love it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, did I mention that you can create your own plugins if you feel inclined?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

which one did you recommend ?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh man...

lmao I am laughing so hard. No offense to you at all, those last two posts are packed full of retail quips. Kind of like the slices and dices thing. I can tell you've been in retail.

Anyways I will download it now, against my...better.. judgement because I have other things I could be doing, like reading the Man of Law's Tale by Chaucer....hahah nevermind flash-kit sounds much more enlightening compared to my friends take on the story:
Quote:
her: have you started it yet?
me: nooo
her: IT'S NOT EVEN A STORY!
me: :-P
me: peaches!
her: it's this guy going on about how to lead a good life
her: and what things are bad to do
me: oh fun
her: like drinking
me: thats nice
her: and eating
me: cool
her: and READING BORING *plum*!
me: hahahahahaha
me: hrmm I wonder if there are spark notes....
her: ugh
her: prolly a quiz on it :-P
her: i hope not!
her: anyway
her: i need to go finish it
her: only HALF DONE!@

Ok well I will go dl it now.

Have fun at work atno/tw! Best of luck!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol -- enjoy -- I'm going to go watch some football, and tease myself into believing I can read about 700 pages tonight and understand how to use Veritas Backup Exec to learn how to fix the fact that my new company can't backup anything because the software keeps crashing the server! *lol -- talk about a first day on the job!
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess I'll need 30 minutes to be convinced. It doesn't highlight my brackets or parentheses (something I love about context) and it has a lot of pretty tabs and options and menus....something that makes my head hurt right now. BUT! I will be unbiased next time I have a mini project to do in PHP and see how it fairs.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL heyer, ive just downloaded it too and opened a page in it, its abit confusing at the moment to deal with but i will give it a go :)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

*guidance counsler voice* Keep your windows of opportunity open! *end voice*

My windows are saying go read and do good in english, I'll talk to you guys tomorrow (maybe pop in during 7th period if I have a momment or two).
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

cya cya bye bye cya!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Stay with it. If you want tips, let me know. I'm telling you after two years with it...I won't write code in anything else.

Just try this...open an established page and then press F9

Check the bottom to see how well you did. HTML Tidy is really pretty close to the w3c validator. If it validates in HTML kit it should validate at w3. The only discrpency I've found so far is that it doesn't take into consideration the ISO Char-set. If you don't have that somewhere in your head tags, W3 isn't even going to try to parse it.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

problem is i am so lazy!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

P.S. b-heyer -- yep --17 years of retail tends to ingrain a few little quips on ya! *lol
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
WYSIWYG is just for fun, I mean what else would something with such a weird name be used for other then fun (is it pronounced y-seye-wig?). I learned in geocites advanced editor, I never even used their template system. Then I moved to notepad, and now context. I have made some goofy pages in Dreamweaver, but all of my "real" projects are done the "real" way ;).

//Note the underlying humor, I am not an idiot ;)

ATNO- I might try html-kit, does it manage to colorcode the text of several documents without being a massive memory hog?

WYSIWYG

Pronounced: WHI-ZEE-WHIG
Stands For: What You See Is What You Get
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*smiles lostinbeta -- he knows that:
Quote:
//Note the underlying humor, I am not an idiot

But I'm glad you posted, because there's probably some reading this thread who didn't/don't know that.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
*smiles lostinbeta -- he knows that:
Quote:
//Note the underlying humor, I am not an idiot

But I'm glad you posted, because there's probably some reading this thread who didn't/don't know that.

I wasn't entirely sure exactly which part that was referrering to or if it was referring to the whole thing so I figured I would comment anyway.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmmm...interesting...I think that's the first time in about 6 months or so that I've seen a "quote" included inside a "quote"...I need to go look at how the php group did that...that's pretty cool.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

stuff will still get parsed within quotes, like smilies and stuff...So I am assuming the just didn't take the parser off for quote boxes.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 97 posts