When is CSS3 coming to ALL browsers?

• tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

When is CSS3 comming to ALL browsers im using some of the styles now border-radius & text-shadow I know that Microsoft has decided that it is above css 3 and will not be supporting it (ha) :lol!: but opera and safari seem the only ones to support it in all its glory!
So what is the release date?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines_(CSS)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines_(CSS)

Interesting read... didn't know that word-wrap was CSS3 and was experimental as well...
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

The bigger question is: "When will all your viewers be using a browser that supports CSS3?" I expect the answer to that is that its not likely in the next several years. Look at how many people still use IE6. So unless you can completely control your audience (project only works on the iPhone, etc) I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well how long did it take for css2 to take over from css1 (it was before my time as a designer so im not sure) even if only 15% of my users use css3 then its better then supplying time with old css because css3 is there to be used!

And as for IE6 theres a campain to get people to stop using it (at least in the UK)
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

tastysite wrote:
Well how long did it take for css2 to take over from css1

Well here's the problem. The css2 spec was recommended by the W3C in 1998 no over ten years later very few if any browsers support the FULL CSS2 spec. Most current browsers support all but a very small handful of the features but its been left up to the individual companies to pick and choose how they will support the individual properties. I don't foresee that process being any different with CSS3.

tastysite wrote:
And as for IE6 theres a campain to get people to stop using it (at least in the UK)

There are campaigns for that all over the world and really the problem isn't the average user. The real catch is the large IT departments who have custom tools built using IE6 hacks that break when browsers are upgraded. My company just built some internal tools for one of the largest retail chains in North America and guess what they had to be compatible with IE6 or no pay check. These same departments face older workstations that can't handle Vista so its easier to simply maintain XP/IE6 company wide than having to deal with a mix of browser/OS combos. I assume most of the leadership in those departments actually do know the problems with IE6 but its not easy to convince a board of directors to spend a whole bunch of money to upgrade systems so that the web developers in the world will have an easier day.

Unfortunately, just because you as a web developer want people to use the newest version of something doesn't mean they will. If only 15% of your viewers have a good clean experience they'll go find the content elsewhere because someone will support them. As a professional designer I've seen many clients balk when 80% or more of their audience can see things correctly. So in reality 15% of the audience just isn't going to cut it.

If you can alienate a bunch of users because you want to use bleeding edge features thats really awesome. However, 99% of the people/organizations who make money with the web can't afford to do that scenario, including the people who make web browsers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts