Where to find older versions of IE and Netscape browsers??

• cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.

Can anyone tell me where to find older versions of IE and Netscape for testing sites? It seemed obvious to go to, for example, the Netscape's site but I found nothing there. Perhaps it was staring me in the face but I gave up.

I have version 6 of each of those browsers and want older versions too.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

For Netscape:
http://wp.netscape.com/download/archive.html

I don't think you can have multiple versions of IE running on the same copy of Windows.
  • allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: here

Post 3+ Months Ago

RichB wrote:
For Netscape:
http://wp.netscape.com/download/archive.html

I don't think you can have multiple versions of IE running on the same copy of Windows.

i was curious about this as well, how to test your pages in older browsers on the same system. i wonder if something like virtual PC might be helpful? seems a little bit of overkill to have to run a whole separate OS just to get the browser, but i can't think of another way to do it.

mark
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Netscape, Mozilla and Opera - just install them each in a separate folder. Be careful with NS 6, though -- on that release there were conflicts with Mozilla. They shared the same profile or something like that.

I'm pretty certain RichB is correct on IE. I've never found a way to do it. I'm lucky enough to have an older computer with IE 5 still on it and purposely did not upgrade it so I'd have it for awhile longer.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only solution I can think of that would allow two different versions of IE on the same PC, would be to dual boot two or more different OSes such as Win98/win2K/winXP.

Cheers...

C.C.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's the way I think too, CC - but I don't think MS has an "older browser archive" like Netscape does. I'm not even certain you could get older versions of their product unless you were lucky enough to have an OS disk with it on - like Windows98 - and installed the OS from scratch without the IE6 SP1
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I'm not even certain you could get older versions of their product unless you were lucky enough to have an OS disk with it on - like Windows98 - and installed the OS from scratch without the IE6 SP1

I was thinking more along the lines of ie5 being installed with win98, and ie6 with xp, I doubt that the os-installed version would allow itself to be downgraded in such a fashion.

Cheers, bud...

C.C.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
thank you for info.

I had multiple versions of Netscape on my last PC, without any problems. No sepatate OS or anything, all on the same drive partition too. It's a pity it's apparently not so simple with IE.

I have IE 6, Netscape 6 and Mozilla all on it currently, no conflicts with Netscape 6 and Mozilla, I'm happy to say.

Off to get the other versions of Netscape now.

Thanks all.
  • gilray4
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • gilray4
  • Loc: Hawai'i

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found this to be very interesting topic, so I asked one of my "gur'u's"
about this as I know he runs multiple, I mean multiple> browsers!
He told me real simple> just gotta have "virtual pc" he also told me that there is a site with a full archive of all older browser versions, once I find it I will post it here>

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts