Why learn to code?

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

ogames wrote:
it gives you a buzz knowing you created something yourself!

How many people get excited over doing some word processing?? You just can't because its just not interesting. wysiwyg is like that, its no challenge and it's just doing the same boring stuff all the time.
I find using a wysiwyg takes out all the enjoyment I get from doing this. I don't think I ever would have gotten into this unless I could hand code.
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

coming from a design perspective, im not particularly turned on by the code, for me as long as it is clean and works and displays my design correctly in the browser im cool. not having a go ;-)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a designer and code in PHP and ASP (2-3 years commercial experience)

Its all about work flow and if your not using a proper* WYSIWYG editor for making a quick final table then you are wasting your time. You may use ImageReady to slice first but you should do it again in a proper* WYSIWYG like Dreamweaver in split window mode.

The rest is upto you.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:
Its all about work flow and if your not using a WYSIWYG editor for making a quick table then you are wasting your time. The rest is upto you.

What if you are trying to do things the correct way and lay out your page with stylesheets and no tables?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
What if you are trying to do things the correct way and lay out your page with stylesheets and no tables?

DIVs instead of tables then I would hand code it for a dynamic site BUT for non dynamic site I would set up a Dreamweaver template. All hand coding is done in a editor of choice.

rtm223 wrote:
the correct way

:shock: don’t get me started... NO I am not even going to comment on that cos you are technically correct and I will lose my argument for tables!
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use WYSIWYG and like rtm said earlier, it is hard to try to learn to hand code when you have got an easy option sitting on your desktop.

In a way i wish that i learnt HTML instead of using wysiwyg editors. Althought i see my self as a designer rather then a coder, but it would still be cool to learn html, the only thing holding me back is having the time.

I think that you should learn the code now other wise its gonna make it harder for you in the future.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tone2k11 wrote:
I think that you should learn the code now other wise its gonna make it harder for you in the future.

hehe i don't think it's really worth addressing the original poster, he left quite a while ago - I don't think he liked it here....

I think in this respect I was lucky to have not really been aware of wysiwyg editors when I started out.

@ johan hehe I wasn't really trying to start an arguament. Although the "official" method is the box rather than tables, it's really just my opinion - I've been looking into some really advanced stuff with css and would never consider going back now.
I guess i can see why people want to use wysiwyg but its just not for me.
  • 360Varial
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • 360Varial

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
Tone2k11 wrote:

hehe i don't think it's really worth addressing the original poster, he left quite a while ago - I don't think he liked it here....

You know me so well don't you? I check this board several times a day. I like it here.

I thought I had already stated that I've decided to learn to code, guess not.

I'm currently working on a site for a poet I know. I'll be sure to post it when I'm done and let you guys judge it. No WYSIWYG either...all hand-coded.

Thanks for helping.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:
if your not using a proper* WYSIWYG editor for making a quick final table then you are wasting your time

lol, thanks, best joke I've heard all day :)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

360varial, I appologise. My comment was based on the fact that you posted here and, to be honest, got some pretty arsey replies from some people (possibly including me :oops:) and you havn't made any posts for a while. I'm sure you can see why i thought you had left us.

Well I'm glad that you are leaning to hand code :) and I look forward to seeing your work. I spend quite a lot of time in the reviews section so I will make sure I give you a review.

I don't know if this helps to reassure you but I stumbled across something the other day that might. html was originally designed to last for years, even decades, slowly evolving and expanding. Until it is practical for everyone to have huge bandwidths, hypertext will always remain the core technology forthe internet. So this stuff will not be useless in 2008.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 40 posts