Why not to customize scrollbars?

• RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a client that is asking for customized scrollbars. My project manager is asking for reasons to NOT customize the scrollbars.

At first I didn't think there was a great cross browser solution to this.. but since we're not supporting IE6, I've been able to find several libraries that allow you to customize scrolling divs (not the outer scrollbar). Anyone have some sites I can look up for reasons to avoid it? Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok a bit of a backward question here ;) the best reason not to use them is that if you use libraries they will need to use JavaScript which could be turned off and then if there was no fall-back there would be no way to scroll of course there SHOULD be a fall-back but thats your job...
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think customizing the look would still have a fallback. The libraries don't remove a scroll bar they just change it.

I think the biggest argument against changing scroll bars or other baked UI items in general is more of a usability thing. I don't have anything to back this up other than personal experience, but it seems that all those flash sites that create their own scroll bar look become really confusing and hard to use. Its really the same argument about changing anything that people have been trained to use.

However, as long as your not talking about a horizontal scroll bar, most people will be able to scroll with a mouse wheel regardless of the look and feel. This makes me think your boss is looking for an excuse to not spend the time/money to implement something thats really just aesthetic in which case I'd just say its out of scope and call it good.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I don't have anything to back this up other than personal experience, but it seems that all those flash sites that create their own scroll bar look become really confusing and hard to use.

I have to agree. It irritates me when a site uses Flash with their own scroll bars and my mouse wheel doesn't work for them. I would be equally irritated if I were to come across an HTML site that used some sort of non-scrollbar scrollbars that my mouse wheel didn't work for.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts