why wont flash play in firefox or netscape ?

• jon123
  • jon123

Post 3+ Months Ago

my site has a flash intro and oter bits like a newsletter signup and postcard section, its a php site and it works fine in IE and did work in every other browser until recently. Now it goes into the quick time player symbol and then the broken quick time symbol.
what has happened ?
than you
john
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uhhmmm ... yeah ... Well ... So ... How about the weather ... have you got a link to the site ... or some code maybe please ... ?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

mozilla based browsers use a different code to display flash than IE does. Most likely you're code is wrong. as Righteous_Trespasser said post the code you are using to display the flash and we can tell you were you problem is.
  • jon123
  • jon123

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you both,
I did'nt post the link because I don't think it's allowed, but I'll get the code and paste it here, the flash worked fine in the other browsers only a while back so I'm wondering if its an update conflict.
anyway I'll get the code for you.
thank you again
John
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

jon123 wrote:
I did'nt post the link because I don't think it's allowed

At OZZU it is allowed to submit a link when you have a problem ... or isn't it allowed by your company\contractor?
  • jon123
  • jon123

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK Hopfully this can be of help to you,

Code: [ Select ]
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="100%" height="100%" id="flash/test_site" align="middle">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
<param name="movie" value="assets/flash/animation.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="scale" value="noscale" /><param name="salign" value="lt" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><embed src="assets/flash/animation.swf" quality="high" scale="noscale" salign="lt" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="100%" height="100%" name="flash/test_site" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
</object>
</body>
</html>
  1. <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="100%" height="100%" id="flash/test_site" align="middle">
  2. <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
  3. <param name="movie" value="assets/flash/animation.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="scale" value="noscale" /><param name="salign" value="lt" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><embed src="assets/flash/animation.swf" quality="high" scale="noscale" salign="lt" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="100%" height="100%" name="flash/test_site" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
  4. </object>
  5. </body>
  6. </html>

I hope this helps you, and thank you very much
john
  • jon123
  • jon123

Post 3+ Months Ago

can anyone help with this ?
  • nood
  • nood

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can't see why that would happen with the HTML supplied, unless you've told your browser to use quicktime for Flash (or Quicktime has!). I'd be a bit concerned about putting slashes in name="flash/test_site" and id="flash/test_site", not that that would break it though.
  • jon123
  • jon123

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi nood,
Thank you for your help, I cheeked the mime setting,s and all so that should not be a problem, anyway it play's fine in the IE browser which would use quicktime also if the computer was set that way, but I read somwhere that mozilla, netscape and all the rest of them are set up to use quick time to play all content because their very anti pop up's and that sort of thing. So I think I need a bit of code to by pass the detection in these browser's and allow my content to play.
thank you Nood
best regards
John
  • ecuador
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Code: [ Select ]
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="flash/monitor.swf" width="250" height="236">
    <param name="movie" value="flash/monitor.swf" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
 </object>
  1. <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="flash/monitor.swf" width="250" height="236">
  2.     <param name="movie" value="flash/monitor.swf" />
  3.     <param name="quality" value="high" />
  4.     <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
  5.  </object>

works in all browsers and is even XHTML valid.
  • jon123
  • jon123

Post 3+ Months Ago

ecuador,
thank you very much, that's great a huge help
I'll update the scrip right away
thank you again
best regards
John
  • ecuador
  • Student
  • Student