IE wont display page at all

• mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been trying to discover the problem for some time now (days). I have a website that looks absolutely great on chrome, with a couple tweaks needed on firefox. The major issue is IE. IE9 looks okay, with a few tweaks needed, but anything below won't render any HTML beyond my wrapping div element. It happens on the blog and portfolio page. Check it out here:

http://static.creativesunderground.com

Click on the "blog" link in the nav, or the "Portfolio" link. Notice how nothing shows up in IE8 and below. What the crap?!
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

well...3 days trying to figure out the problem and 30 seconds after I post I figure out some progress...typical.

Seems as though the HTML5shiv is the culprit. When I remove the conditional comment for the html5shiv from the header, things appear on the page. Why is the shiv destroying my content?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just took a look and see you are using HTML5. So after first glance I am thinking your HTML5shiv is somehow the culprit too as that is your workaround to get HTML5 elements working in IE8 and below. Are you using the latest version of that JavaScript that you should be using? The one I use with no problems for my HTML5 sites is this one:

https://github.com/aFarkas/html5shiv/tree/master/src

Maybe try that one and see if it fixes your problem. If you want a compressed version of one I will copy and paste it here, this one works for me but could be outdated from the source above:

JAVASCRIPT Code: [ Select ]
(function(a,b){var c=function(a){return a.innerHTML="<x-element></x-element>",a.childNodes.length===1}(b.createElement("a")),d=function(a,b,c){return b.appendChild(a),(c=(c?c(a):a.currentStyle).display)&&b.removeChild(a)&&c==="block"}(b.createElement("nav"),b.documentElement,a.getComputedStyle),e={elements:"abbr article aside audio bdi canvas data datalist details figcaption figure footer header hgroup mark meter nav output progress section summary time video".split(" "),shivDocument:function(a){a=a||b;if(a.documentShived)return;a.documentShived=!0;var f=a.createElement,g=a.createDocumentFragment,h=a.getElementsByTagName("head")[0],i=function(a){f(a)};c||(e.elements.join(" ").replace(/\w+/g,i),a.createElement=function(a){var b=f(a);return b.canHaveChildren&&e.shivDocument(b.document),b},a.createDocumentFragment=function(){return e.shivDocument(g())});if(!d&&h){var j=f("div");j.innerHTML=["x<style>","article,aside,details,figcaption,figure,footer,header,hgroup,nav,section{display:block}","audio{display:none}","canvas,video{display:inline-block;*display:inline;*zoom:1}","[hidden]{display:none}audio[controls]{display:inline-block;*display:inline;*zoom:1}","mark{background:#FF0;color:#000}","</style>"].join(""),h.insertBefore(j.lastChild,h.firstChild)}return a}};e.shivDocument(b),a.html5=e})(this,document)
  • odette
  • Born
  • Born
  • odette

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same problem, the page is not loading in some browsers, should I be taking out the code HTML5shiv - code is found on the home page of:

Thank you
  • Pbpixels
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

HTML5 is not a W3C recommendation yet, and maybe some browsers doesn't support it yet since it's not recommended by W3C
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pbpixels wrote:
HTML5 is not a W3C recommendation yet, and maybe some browsers doesn't support it yet since it's not recommended by W3C

mite as well learn it now and wait for it to become mainstream, HTML5 was suppose to knock out flash out of the competition.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts