Wordpress problem:

• mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

So my dads blog is my first ever experience with wordpress. Not sure why, but if you click on the comment link, or go to a different page other than the homepage the navigation disappears. Anyone know why?

The only changes I made were to the css of the default theme. In the default theme, if you go to a specific article, there is no sidebar. I know I should start with that; but I'm not sure how to fix it.
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a vanishing sidebar issue once. The only way I could figure it out was by starting from scratch with the default theme all over again.

The default style sheet is quite messy and confusing I felt - so it is very easy to create a rule that conflicts with another and messes everything up. All too easy since many page elements are referenced several times at different places within the style sheet.

The sidebar itself appears to be very susceptible to markup errors and miscalculations of width, borders and paddings.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's actually what I did, started with the wordpress default and adjusted the css. I went through and removed all the recurrences of css selectors - combining their properties into one. The layout has no problems, it the sidebar.php file not being included in the article pages. It's only included in the homepage. Unfortunately, I don't know how or where to add the php include so that the sidebar.php is in all pages.
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Be aware that I'm no wordpress expert and so I can't debug your issue with much skill...

The bottom of my index.php file in wp-content/themes/default/ looks like this:

Code: [ Select ]
<?php endif; ?>
</div>

<?php get_sidebar(); ?>

<?php get_footer(); ?>
  1. <?php endif; ?>
  2. </div>
  4. <?php get_sidebar(); ?>
  6. <?php get_footer(); ?>

Edit: the get_sidebar function should obviously be in the other important files too, like "page.php", "single.php", "archives.php" and so on.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Code: [ Select ]
<?php get_sidebar(); ?>

This looks what I need. Now I need where to put it. It is in the index file, which is why it's showing up on the homepage I would imagine. Anyone know which php file generates the pages for the individual articles?
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

perhaps a visual representation of my problem.
rantingbill.com

That's the homepage. It has the navigation at the top. If you click on "July 17th" it will open up the article's page. In this page the navigation bar is not included.
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The article page is created from "single.php"
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

that did it zwirko, you're my new fav when it comes to wordpress - even if you don't want the title; hehe.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts