Working on a pull-out on-click section for a website.

• Skylord
  • Skylord

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've had an idea that I want to toy around with. I want to make a tab off to the side of a page (we'll say it's an "about" section for example) that will pull out to show the information in a div when it is clicked. I've been doing research on how to go about doing it, and will continue to do so, but work has kept me from being able make it a primary focus. I'm mostly curious how any one here would go about doing. Just a mix of html/css? Or some javascript added in? Is it similar to making a "navigation bar" that would move horizontally instead of vertically?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would think this would be a great instance to make use of the jQuery library. This would allow you to easily do something like this using some JavaScript code (utilizing the jQuery library), HTML, and CSS.
  • Skylord
  • Skylord

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you webmasta! Seriously, there are not enough thanks in existence! Took one look at the site and was ready to learn and apply it. I'll be off to study now but I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
  • Skylord
  • Skylord

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some of the download links on jQuery open up a page with a bunch of code while others go to a download link. I'm not sure how to get the newest version because it's one of the pages filled with code. Also, right now I can't afford much of a web design program and I was wondering whether jQuery will work in Kompozer and/or notepad++?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many people will just load jQuery directly from Google for a few reasons. One is you won't have to use your server resources, second Google is using a CDN which will most likely be geographically close to any of your visitors which ensure quick downloads of the jQuery libary, and third since numerous websites load jQuery on their website this way, many of your visitors will likely already have the file cached in their browser so it will allow them to load your website fast. So to do this simply put this in your head section of your webpage:

HTML Code: [ Select ]
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.5.1/jquery.min.js"></script>

Once you load that up there, then you can use jQuery throughout your webpage! :)

This might be useful as well, there are other ways you can load it:

http://code.google.com/apis/libraries/d ... tml#jquery

From time to time you may want to update the version number on the example I used above, and then once you do make sure all of your scripts still work properly with that version.

I am unfamiliar with Kompozer, but I would imagine you could add jQuery with no problem.
  • Skylord
  • Skylord

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay okay after my brief abandonment of common sense I realized how it works. I'm pointing any jQuery script I use to the server that has the jQuery library loaded so that it will actually work. I'm definitely going to continue studying into this.

Another quick question though. If jQuery is as easy/amazing as it seems, would it still be recommended to learn to write javascript myself?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, you still want to know how to write Javascript as well. jQuery is just a JavaScript library so you don't have to rewrite the wheel for everything you want to do. Think of it as a bunch of pre-made functions that will make your life alot easier. Everything is still JavaScript though.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts