XML vs other languages

• Kurthead+1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Kurthead+1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there any point to learning XML, if I'm already getting good with php/sql? I'm also getting great with JavaScript (and jQuery), so should I just learn JSON and leave XML alone? I don't know enough about the benefits or functionality of each language to figure this out. Is there any reason I shouldn't just learn all of it? (JSON, php/sql, XML) Or would this be a waste of time? If I could make good use of all of them, I would prefer to learn them all.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't mean to come across as snarky or rude, but I have to ask: what is there to learn, exactly?

XML is not a programming language. It's just a data markup format. You can literally learn it in about an hour (I'm not including the mess of XML-related technologies such as XSLT, XPath, etc, which are used to interpret and transform the data contained in XML).

I prefer JSON in my apps because it's more compact and just as ubiquitous as XML these days, and with the prevalence of Javascript it just makes sense to use. But it doesn't matter. My point here is that you're treating something like a big giant thing you need to master when it really isn't.

I personally think you're wasting your time getting into PHP and MySQL; the industry has long moved past these as hallmarks of web development (PHP especially), and the job market for such developers mostly consists of PHP shops with too much legacy code to abandon outright.

A good developer is someone who knows that programming languages are just tools, and you choose the right tool for the job.
  • Kurthead+1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Kurthead+1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually mean XML + the related languages. You're correct XML itself was a very quick language (or just making tags with data a skill learned in the third grade) to learn, but it takes a little bit of time to learn some of the DOM functionality, compatibility, XSLT, etc (to actually make good use of it). However, if I had no use for the language, an hour of learning it would still be a waste of time. Basically, I wanted to know if it could do things that JSON couldn't (then it would add to my toolbox). JSON did look simpler and better though, after some cursory research.

What is used in lieu of php? It seems to be a pretty handy language so far, with a wide range of uses.

Edit: And I've only been coding for about 14 weeks, so cut me some slack. 8)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

When Steve Jobs was in college, he sat in on a few calligraphy courses not really knowing why, it just interested him. There was really no market for the skill directly, but he did end up using things he learned in that class to develop some of today's computer fonts.

My point is, if something interests you, take time to learn about it until you get bored. Maybe some day you can use parts of what you learn to develop something tomorrow.
  • Kurthead+1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Kurthead+1

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
When Steve Jobs was in college, he sat in on a few calligraphy courses not really knowing why, it just interested him. There was really no market for the skill directly, but he did end up using things he learned in that class to develop some of today's computer fonts.

My point is, if something interests you, take time to learn about it until you get bored. Maybe some day you can use parts of what you learn to develop something tomorrow.

Thanks. That's surprisingly inspiring, helpful and insightful.
  • ananthapriya
  • Born
  • Born
  • ananthapriya

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah XML is a Extensible markup language.its need to transport and store data.i have learnt this language. this is easy to learn.we have transport html data to XML.i learn this lanuage from w3schools.if you need to learn get this tutorial from there

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts