Your CMS of Choice?

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,
When doing freelance work, I often end up creating a CMS of some description, just allowing the user to create categories and pages with their own content, image uploading abilities and any addons they require. Over time I have got a partial CMS of my own created for a majority of customer needs.

Does anyone have a favourite CMS they seem to use over and over again? just something that is simple for a customer to use? I am tempted to become more of an expert at modifying a given CMS rather than, increasing my productivity by having a working product almost instantly.

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

For something simple as pages I would suggest Wordpress.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

wordpress was the one I was thinking about. The problem is the administration section looks a little to cluttered for my typical end user (to be polite) is there a way to strip sections out of the admin section? mod/widgets that do it? heck I suppose I could do it myself.

I just wondered if there were are simple php/mysql CMS's that would be more than easy to deploy for customer/clients which has a majority of the typical CMS'y features, without me having to keep improving mine to keep up with customer demand. Or maybe I should just stick with mine... im open to suggestions.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Theres a few CMS systems over at the CodeIgniter Community you might want to take a look at:

http://pyrocms.com/

I can't find the other but I'll keep looking.

Also CodeIgniter uses a MVC structure so with a little understand of CodeIgniter you can pretty easily modify the back end/the entire site.
  • type14
  • Born
  • Born
  • type14

Post 3+ Months Ago

Joomla does the trick for me. With four levels of access from Registered to Super Admin, you can give your clients just the minimum access they need. Customizing the design and layout is as simple as modifying the stylessheet, which is meade even easier with Artisteer.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take a look at http://cushycms.com so simple it almost hurts but with a little creativity it can be really powerful.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:
Theres a few CMS systems over at the CodeIgniter Community you might want to take a look at:

http://pyrocms.com/

I can't find the other but I'll keep looking.

Also CodeIgniter uses a MVC structure so with a little understand of CodeIgniter you can pretty easily modify the back end/the entire site.

Tried to use the demo and it broke, then tried to check the documentation and got a server error. I dont think i'll be using that one ;). The CrushyCMS is an interesting concept but I think I want to have a little more control over the administration.

Im going to have a more indepth look at joomla

Thanks all
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally like Drupal
http://drupal.org
  • mlk_fld12
  • Born
  • Born
  • mlk_fld12

Post 3+ Months Ago

For end-user friendliness I'd suggest MWCMS (mwcms dot com).

It's a modular cms, so you can add one or more modules (gallery, forum, etc), and each can be managed independently and collectively. It's actually kinda clever.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did the same thing you did, wrote my own. After digging through a bunch of the smaller ones that did not require the end user to be very techy to work it, they made me very very cautious about using it, due to the large amount of security issues I found. If you use one thats an 'out-of-the-box' solution, definitely check into the security aspects pretty heavy.
  • mlk_fld12
  • Born
  • Born
  • mlk_fld12

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you mention security aspects, i have to say that primarily is the reason I chose MWCMS. The authors were sick with half-done cms solutions and just made one that contained all the aspects they needed, with a special focus on user rights management.
  • joomlads07
  • joomlads07
  • Loc: 3 Locust Street, Suite A Assonet, MA 02702

Post 3+ Months Ago

I prefer only Joomla CMS because of its powerful features & user friendliness
  • Seddy
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Seddy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like Joomla
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have built a website using Drupal before, it's a great and open CMS, but it seems like it is a bit too difficult for standard users to understand.

I have also built two websites using joomla, and I must honestly say that I am NOT a fan, it is confusing to use and their support forums are useless, there are only a scarce few people on there that ever get replies, and many times the replies aren't solutions, just other people having the same issues.

I have thus started (basically finished) the first beta of my own CMS.
  • Bardos
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bardos

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like Joomla and Wordpress
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:

Care to share? I'd like to check it out.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
righteous_trespasser wrote:

Care to share? I'd like to check it out.

Sure, I'll set up a test subdomain somewhere soon, and then you can check it out ...
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay here it is ... http://cms.clearmark-demo.co.za/ ... to log in, scroll to the bottom of the page and press "Login" ...
Username: demo
Password: demo
Once you are logged in, you will see a toolbar at the top of the page, and you will also see toolbars on article pages etc to do various actions with that article/gallery/etc.
  • san_sa_rocky
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

WORDPRESS! RULZ!!
easy editing, reliable database, quick loading!
  • Gofigure
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Gofigure

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Wp and Joomla i tend to use Wp more for clients as it is easier to use for them and does not take long at all to teach them the basics.
Whats the name of your beta cms? Maybe i can review it for ya! ;)
  • modern86
  • Born
  • Born
  • modern86

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like web to date and wordpress

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts