DON'T REVIEW. THIS THREAD IS OLD! MY SITE HAS CHANGED

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

//EDIT: Content removed. People, this is an old thread. The site is now my personal site, and no longer website design.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am running into a couple problems, rtm223 you can probably help, but anybody's help is appreciated.

First and foremost, when viewing the page in Opera, the content disappears. I think it gets hidden behind the flash. Any ideas?

Secondly, In mozilla based browsers, the div for the links at the bottom doesn't line up in the box correctly. Any fixes for that?
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why have you even used flash? The button's roll over effect could be done with javascript rollovers and the same goes for the effect on the logo at the top.

Overall i think the design is a bit basic however is a very nice shape. I just think it needs more eye candy.

I really like the colors btw! Nice choice.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

The layout of the splash page is inspired however I don’t think you have a good choice of color shades. Take a look at the sites on http://www.linkdup.com and get a feel for what shades of color match yet look profetional. Maybe steel some colors :shock:
  • SoulDesigns
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Karachi, Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
Please give your site some colors and a good theme, and try using some graphics tools which are given in programs like Flash, Fireworks and Photoshop. I am also a designer, but I think now i have a hold of my work which you can see at http://www.souldesigns.net

Thanks for considering my review(if you do). :twisted:
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

SoulDesigns wrote:
Hi.
Please give your site some colors and a good theme, and try using some graphics tools which are given in programs like Flash, Fireworks and Photoshop. I am also a designer, but I think now i have a hold of my work which you can see at http://www.souldesigns.net

Thanks for considering my review(if you do). :twisted:

Hi you have to read the site rules before requesting a review. I cant see the rules tread :S You have to review a few other sites before posting yours in a separate tread.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

The reason I used flash is because the whole thing is only 5k. If you can get me 6 buttons and the BG all to be under 5k then you let me know, but I don't think it is gonna happen. Vectoring Rules for keeping files small.

Souldesigns, I don't sell graphics, I am looking for a simple website design that would catch peoples eye. I want it to be unique and stylish, not overpopulated with nice graphics.
  • Roxy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it - its simple and to the point good choice on colors, nice feel to it.
  • canadianguy33
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • canadianguy33

Post 3+ Months Ago

A good tool for getting some pretty cool colour matches is at http://www.behr.com

As for the site I wasn't really believing that this was a design firm. I mean the pages didn't flow together and the dark grey and blue combination is kind of blah.

How about adding some pictures and detail to the site.
  • AHaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is just the beginning stages of his site, i believe he is trying to get comments and reviews on it now before he goes and spends a lot of time trying to edit the entire site after it is done.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well guys, I finished it up, not too many changes.

Here it is: http://www.truceco.com

Oh, and as for behr.com and their color picker, I like my own! Not trying to be rude or anything but I don't need any more comments on the colors! I like them and they are here to stay if nothing else!!!
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

the colour scheme is nice, somewhat soft though. the blue overpowers the greys. the "quote" text seems aligned funny (right at the bottom of the box? lots of empty space there), using firefox v0.9
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea, the empty space at the top of the box is due to different pixel alignments in mozilla based browsers. It appears correctly in IE, but I don't know a fix for it in mozilla.
  • kidonhigh
  • Loc: Russia, Orel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keep trying, make more pages in other stiles, it’ll get better every time. For now design is too simple for homepage and FAAAAR TOOO simple for gfx/web-design studio page. It’s your only link to customers. They like it - they hire you, or otherwise. You should do your BEST on that page. They don’t care what designer wanted to do or say on that page, they only care for your professional level. As you said “design that would catch peoples eye”.. :shock:
Guys was right, design isn’t that good. But don’t stop.. make more designs.

PS Once I put one of my earlier designs on Russian webmaster forum, and expected something like “WOW! COOL! GREAT!” but I only got “WHO DID THAT CRAP?!”.. nice kick.. :oops:

PPS And get yourself some photoshop tutorials.. NOW! :wink:
  • kidonhigh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oops! It was review of your previous design.. :oops:
Now it looks much better. But i still think you should use more complex gfx.
And no trackbar in portfolio. I have IE 6.0
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

There isn't a scrollbar in the portfolio, I actually have the DIV holding the portfolio content set as "overflow: hidden;" in CSS so unless you are overriding my CSS styles with your browsers, there isn't a scrollbar. If you didn't mean scrollbar then please explain further.
  • kidonhigh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes i meant scrollbar (sorry for my english).
I can only see a half of "Burry The Fallen" picture, and text ends on "They took full" thats all i can see in my IE 6.0. Maybe some css problems.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

What screen resolution are you using? It works on all resolutions on my computer, and my work computers......I know what you mean, but it isn't happening to me.
  • SStoner
  • Born
  • Born
  • SStoner
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Post 3+ Months Ago

As with anything - web design takes practice. I have been doing to for 5 years now and I still try and learn something new on each project.

1. Dont use flash unless you need to. It has its place but I would say over 90% of your potential clients do not need it. If the insist well ok, but there are down sides to Flash like page loading times and the large number fo surfers who do not have flash installed.

2. You could acheive the same page without Flash and probably keep it smaller than 5k. CSS rollovers or even graphic roll overs are going to be close to what you have.

3. If you are looking to secure some "real" clients, consider revising your package options and pricing. I would eliminate any pricing on the site completly. You have options for "rush 3 day " etc on your site. Who builds a functional website in 3 days and gets it right? You will need at least a week - 10 days just brainstorm ideas that will give your client some sort of online idenity. The client then should be given a chance to review 1-3 concepts of how the site might look.

4. Maybe add some color to the site.

5. I like the PHP script you use for your form - it gives a nice touch by using the visitors name on the " thank you page".

If you have any questions let me know.
  • Jade456
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a little barren. I would add more content and color. If you have premade templates, perhaps a gallery page showing what you have "in stock". A list of customization options, what you are willing to design, what you recommend, etc. JMHO
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Jade, it is a little barren. I was afraid of flooding visitors with content. I am going to work a new website out here so I can have more content.

Mr Stoner, You really need to read the others comments before posting. The reason I used flash is because it is a lot smaller file size than pure gif or jpeg images without losing quality. The flash requirement is 4 or higher, so anybody that has been on the internet since 2000 has a 50% chance of having flash on it.

And about templates, if that is what you call website design you deserve to be mamed. Templates are for newbies to fill with content and call them websites. I build entirely custom websites, no CSS templates, no pre-made PHP or HTML.

I can design a very nice website in 3 days time actually. If you know the code you are working with, the code can be finished in a mere 4-5 hours. The graphics take a bit longer. For a 3 day rush, the website pricing starts at $500 which allows me to get my graphics designers to rush their work as well. The site is usually up within the first 48-hours and the next 24 are just minor tweakings.

And both of the 2 clients listed are actual clients.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

just a note to the 3 day comment: it is very possible.
as a student i have been in skills canada (world skills)
http://www.worldskillscanada2009.ca
http://www.worldskills.org
for the past 2 years, last year capturing silver at nationals (19 points away from representing canada in finland!), and the contest duration for website development is a measily 13 hours. this is including the time you FIRST hear about the project. 13 hours later, you have to leave the computer (its split between 2 days, 8hours and 5 hours). then you have a meeting with prospective clients from the business who sponsored the website. the site must be fully functional, completely validating (they use w3c), and must meet quite a few requirements. so it is possible! the worldskills.org site you see now was actually the winner of last years international competition, some girl from korea, so that site was made in 13 hours!!
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the statistics! That would be a cool award! I gotta really get working now 'cause I don't think I would have valid HTML. I end up closing br tags (getting ready for xhtml) and other minor things!
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

im planning on winning this year :D its just a shame this year isn't a qualifying year for internationals. next year is my last chance :S (gotta be under 22 at time of international competition)
  • steve0
  • Student
  • Student
  • steve0

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry to say this, but it does look a bit like a rainy day in my opinion.
it seriously needs colour.
the front page looks extremely drab and boring (what about some graphics or pictures?)
youve made the sponsors very dominant in the menu, making it look like a cheap spam site.
youre tutorials page doesnt work: (25:11:2004 - 21:32 european time)
whats this with the stats - uploaded pictures, is that it?
before you use the word "finished" in website reviews. i suggest that you do so that we can take a better look.
  • melnicomm
  • Loc: Paris, France

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Hey! My name is Corey. I live in Tucson, AZ making a living as a professional photographer. I am currently attending Pima College pursuing a doctorate in computer science, as well as a masters degree in robotics and a bachelors degree in light manipulation. I am fluent in English, PHP, HTML, VB.Net, CSS, and I am learning French, Spanish, SQL, and JavaScript.

wow! Hello Frankenstein! You a very annoying! Change your photo, please, mr. "professional photographer"!
about your site, it's ok. gray colors looking like an old grey horse, I like it!
  • steve0
  • Student
  • Student
  • steve0

Post 3+ Months Ago

BTW why all the BS sytem stats, when i reality, its just a bog standard machine?? im not really impressed.
hot air mate, get rid of it, it looks like you`re trying to show off or something.
and as far as that competition goes (worldskills) i would suggest you work a little on you`re design.
i means the design in itself is not that bad, but you`re customers would probably want a bit "more" on your front page dont you think?
i agree that you should change the picture of yourself because it looks like a bad shampoo ad. Work a little on your personal info. again, it looks like you`re trying to show off skills you havent even learned yet. Melnicomm was right, it comes across as very annoying. put your age on there and some customer reviews of your work.
have a picture gallery on the main page so that the people who just want to see your work, can, without having to sift through stuff to try to find it.
i dont mean this post to sound arrogant, but for one who is fluent in PHP HTML etc etc etc, you may want to take a step back and have a rethink.
forget learning spanish, french, and all that other stuff and take yourself to graphic design school.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a reason why you're using different font sizes throughout the site?

I know you don't want anymore comments on the colour scheme but what about your active links colours? I see them posted as green on a grey background. I don't think that looks too good nor does it seem to go with the rest of the site feel

On your "upload an image" page, you should line up your form better, right now you have the left side of the form lined up beautifully but the right side is all over the place. Also put a space between the button "browse" and the browse box. I'd move your "terms of use" info to the top since it's pretty important and I almost didn't see it had I not scrolled down

I'm getting a MySQL error on your tutorial page

Photoshop tutorials page doesn't work either

Where is your meta data??

btw if you ever want help with French or Spanish homework let me know :P
  • steve0
  • Student
  • Student
  • steve0

Post 3+ Months Ago

perhaps, truce, you would be kind enough to post the PM you sent me onto this thread...

steve0
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

being that truce has no interest in receiving feedback on his site any longer, I will lock this in good conscience for him. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 30 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers