SITE REVIEW: Aboutwhat.org - Online forum

• davidaus
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • davidaus
  • Loc: Indo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi buddy :lol:
I need a little help here. Please tell me what impression did you have when you first drop by on my site. What I mean is the layout and navigation.

Is it very clear?
Does my layout goes too dark?

Thank you
  • desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I click on the big "live flash plug-in" button, I get the phpBB installation screen.

The animated banner at the top is distracting... the "discuss / share / meet" banner is good looking... you should keep that image up there all the time (and get rid of the animated bit...)

Overall the site does look pretty good though... the layout is fairly clean, and the colours fit well.
  • davidaus
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • davidaus

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehheheeheehe .... :) the live chat is only available for registered user. It can be used in every multi forum. So, do you think that it is too plain?
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your load up time was questionable, there was a lot of "chunk by chunk" loading of your site. Your logo needs a clearer look, the "B" is a 3, the "A" is a delta symbol? I dont understand your navigation at all, in fact this site doesnt have "forum" appeal at all. First of all you're wasting space with your index and those 4 sections (introduction, benefit etc...). Its nice to have that, but honestly, who really cares? When you load up a forum, you should be able to see the topics available and you'll know what you're getting into. My suggestion to you is to get rid of the whole index content and just put your forum there. I'm also not going to get into that stupid "F.i.n.d w.h.a.t y.o.u w.a.n.t .....", what the hell is with the periods?

You're also opening a new window to register? Why? And not only that, its prompts the installation screen, not register screen. What is this? And why is there an input box at the top "Go to your Forum:"??? What? Go to my forum? What forum? I dont even know what your site is about. Its been nearly 5 minutes and I still dont know what topics you're offering. What do you expect me to type in there?

At the risk of having a heart attack, I'll just say I'm not a fan of what you've created. Its hard to navigate and I honestly have no clue what I just experienced. Unless you have a really patient or dedicated visitor, I dont see any reason to stick around your forum. Make it more friendly. Better yet, just make it work first of all. I'm at the end of my review and I still didnt see a forum, thats not good.
  • davidaus
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • davidaus

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL ... daremedy. I still remember you. You are the one who help me a lot in finding a "language pack" in a photo gallery site. Hei... hopefully you help me out again.LOL

Ok, first of all, my site is a forum site, but it isnt a single forum, instead it is a multiple forum. Any one who wants to create a phpBB fourm can easily just register and the forum will be up in a metter of seconds.

As for the bar which write : go to your forum:
It is a quick way to go to your own forum if you had create one yourself on my site. Simply just type in the access name of yours and it will brings you to your forum :)
  • desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

davidaus wrote:
Ok, first of all, my site is a forum site, but it isnt a single forum, instead it is a multiple forum. Any one who wants to create a phpBB fourm can easily just register and the forum will be up in a metter of seconds.

That's good to know... why isn't that content on your website itself? Instead you say this:
Quote:
Aboutwhat.org is a free and family friendly online forum powered by phpbb message board.

That's nice and all, but the two statements seem like they conflict...
  • davidaus
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • davidaus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man.. LOL, im not good in writting. So, what do you think it should be?

My website can be counted as a forum host. It got no forum by itsself except the forum of other members
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

davidaus wrote:
My website can be counted as a forum host. It got no forum by itsself except the forum of other members

:scratchhead:

Your explanation of your site makes it even more confusing to figure out what your site is about. I have an idea of what you're trying to do. Every new user gets a "mini-forum" of their own in a specific category. You basically provide a free service for people to create and run their own phpbb forum. Well, at least thats what it looks like to me. I personally dont get it or why you'd want to do that, and if you expect your site to develop on a larger scale, your database size and bandwidth are going to increase gigantically. Your users also (so far) arent sticking to the category guidelines, there's a forum under art & literature that has nothing to do with the topic. Does each forum automatically update when a new security patch for phpbb is released? Who's patrolling the various forums to make sure the content is legal? Are forums automatically delete if they have been inactive for a long period of time? Your load up time for your index page was horrible now, what happens when you have hundreds/thousands of users on the server?

There's just so many flaws and questions to what you're trying to do. I kind of understand it now, but I dont like it. However, I hope it works out for you and that the concept picks up.
  • Fitness4Living
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Belfast, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think its mentioned before but your site takes a long time to download. Maybe try making your images jpegs, also, more colour contrast is needed, you want it to stand out. But layout looks good to me. Good potential
  • davidaus
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • davidaus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, yes it is. For every forum which is inactive for 30 days will be automatically deleted. But i set it to 300 days. As for the update, it can be done automatically. For example, if i change the phpbb version to 2.0.16 or whatever, all of the forum created in my site will be updated too.

Ooo.. yeah, as for the load uptime, how long does it reallly takes you guy to shows up completely?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers