SITE REVIEW: Acid Rain Forums

• Graphix24
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Graphix24
  • Loc: PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey! I've spent a lot of time getting this together. I'm an art lover and I'm looking for more art lovers! First, I need my site reviewed. Please be honest and tell me what grabs your attention and what makes you want to click the big X in the corner.

http://pittsburghstories.com/forum
  • onlyican.com
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Hants, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice look on the forum, but lets start with the front page

The colour scheme is totally different to your forum, whats going on there

The text is hard to read with that image

errrr, tables....

ok

You have 2 white spaces on the right, one at the top and one at the bottom.

Make more space on the links at the top of the page. They look like one word, not links

The more I look at the image on the body, the more i hate it. sorry, personal opinion

Where are your meta tags????????????

HAve a link at the top of the page, for the front page, and have some links at the top of the forum, to get to your website.

FORUM

hey you have headers, didn;t see them..... Try making them a little bit bigger

The "No New Posts" icon, it blends with the background, looks like it isn't there, other than that, from me, great design on the forum.
  • Graphix24
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Graphix24

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, maybe you misunderstood the link. The FORUM is mine. The PAGE is my host's. I only own the forum, that's why I posted it as pittsburghstories.com/forum and not just pittsburghstories.com. That's also why the page and the forums are 2 different subjects with 2 different color schemes. pittsburghstories.com/forum, not pittsburghstories.com
  • dstark@stargate.net
  • Born
  • Born
  • dstark@stargate.net

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off dude, i didn't ask your opinion about my site, for 1 its my first attempt at building a site from scratch.
2. the image personal i don't care if you like it or not, you know nothing about it so piss off.
3. you decided to wander around a site you knew nothing about, she was asking for an opinion on her forum, not my site.

judging by the lack of originality of your site you shouldn't be allowed to judge others sites, whats up with the feet, please tell me thats not your moms leg with all that hair
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your forum's favicon is...

Well, never mind. If this is the treatment people get for trying to be helpful, I think I'll pass.
  • dstark@stargate.net
  • Born
  • Born
  • dstark@stargate.net

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's not like that dude, I worked on that site for over a week, time hasn't allowed me to finish it. I am studying to be a priest not a web designer, I think people should express there opinion in a more favorable manor, but hey thats just me. I gave her the space for the forum because shes a friend.
The rest of the site is mine, I have much work to do on it such as my mouse overs and such. I'm just glad the damn iframes work, as far as the links still working on getting the style sheet to work with the iframes. But hey what do i know i'm no wed artist.
Sorry about the flame
  • Graphix24
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Graphix24

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not that we were trying to be ignorant or anything, it's just that when someone asks for a site to be rated, how does the rater change the link and then tear whatever they see apart? He rated the wrong thing and that was HIS doing, not mine. I didn't tell him to take off the "forum" part of the link. As a matter of fact, all he had to do was click on it, realize it's a forum, stay inside of the forum and rate what he saw. There's a big difference between constructive criticism and being ignorant and that post was just ignorant.

Seeing the two pages, they obviously weren't made by the same person. The colors are way different and so is the subject. That's not something that's hard to figure out. You should read before you jump to conclusions, which is usually what people do.

If I sound too harsh, I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. People put hard work into the things that they do and if I thought I was going to get a really ignorant response, I wouldn't have even asked for someone's opinion. Like I said earlier, there's a difference between constructive criticism and straight out being rude. That's what I don't understand...how are you going to totally go outside of what u clicked on and then be ignorant.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

When the homepage of a site and its forums are one and the same, the problem is that there is no real introduction to the site's content. Your post here gave us some idea of what the site's about. The same would be true of a post on a mailing list or other forum or newsgroup. But if I happened to come across a link to your forums without any context, I'd be pretty lost. The "FAQ" link in your navbar gave me some hope, but when I clicked on it, I only saw questions relevant to phpbb. My suggestion, therefore, is to add a link to your navbar ("About this site" or something) that lets you explain to interested visitors why you exist.

I like the look of the forums, it's a little different from the typical phpbb "skin." I found the blue-on-black text a little hard to read, but that could just be my monitor.

As for the forums themselvs, the "Icons" forum says "Are you and icon maker" instead of *an* icon maker. :) Also, the Resources forum, in which you invite people to find just about anything they might be looking for, might be a little bit too broad a topic. Other than those minor observations, I think you've got a nice, diverse set of forums.

Are you catering to a global audience on the 'net, or are you targeting your local community in Pittsburgh? If the latter, that's awesome -- you should highlight that fact, and maybe have a forum for local event announcements... like perhaps forum members could get together and go to an exhibit or something. If your forums are more general, then you might try to focus on things that make you special, that make you stand apart from the gazillions of art-related forums out there. From illustration to design to 3D graphics and animation, from painting to etching to fractals and photography, sites like deviantART and Renderosity, among countless others, pretty much have the spectrum covered. Think about what might bring those folks to you, and make them stay (faster server, smaller community, more friendly and personal/intimate... these are all very attractive to people sick of being a small fish in a massive ocean on an abysmally slow server...)

Hth, and good luck.
  • dstark@stargate.net
  • Born
  • Born
  • dstark@stargate.net

Post 3+ Months Ago

the forums are graphix24's, i set them up on the site for her to mess with and get some experience with phpbb, had nuke installed but it was too buggy, as for the rest of the site, i had a forum set up for people in Pittsburgh, but it flopped and i'm stuck with the name for another 5 years.
The site ither than the forums is for the Dedicant Program, for the ADF. never intended for the general public. Its set up so that other Dedicant trainees can visit and view my work as it sits. Its a pagan theme and even with its probs as a site i'm damn happy with the way it came out. I never in my life messed with html, or itags. I know its rough but its still being worked on. As soon as i get the script for the mouseover's i can add the second set of images for my buttons so that they appear as buttons.
Just to clear things up a bit the forums are Graphix24's and the site is mine lol.
  • onlyican.com
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Hants, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did not know that the forum and the website were different, thats why i was judging the website, comparing with the forum.

looking at them at 2 different sites is totally different.

in that case for the webite

Personal opinion, I don't like the picture, as i can't see the text clearly, secondly, as alot of webmasters forget, or not have a chace to do, is look at the website on a different size screen, so you have 2 white spaces.

For the forum, being a different website

hey you have headers, didn;t see them..... Try making them a little bit bigger

The "No New Posts" icon, it blends with the background, looks like it isn't there, other than that, from me, great design on the forum.

All of this is my opinion, my opinion only counts if other people agree, it all depends on the target audiance.

I am sorry if i offended you.

I too am very busy learning htm php ect, with a 50 hour week job and a social life, I accept when people say my site is *plum*, mainly haveursay.com, as the site is not live yet, it is still being worked on.

Reading the rules, a believe if you are going to comment, you should say why, not it is crap.

and for the record that is my foot, club foot is a feet deformity.

to the master of the forum. Very good job, to the master of the website, relax when someone says they don't like something, you want to me a priest??? learn to relax.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

dstark, you've got three posts on Ozzu and they're all explaining that the forums and the site are separate from each other. I think everyone's pretty clear on that now, thanks.

Since one of your posts followed my own, I have to think that it was in response to my comments... so just to clarify, my reason for saying that the forum and the homepage are one and the same is precisely because *your* homepage has nothing to do with Graphix24's. As such, *her* homepage is the forum itself, which is why I suggested a link to some explanatory text.
  • mytraveltale
  • mytraveltale
  • Loc: New York City

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey, i like the site. and i even posted a picture on road trip. hope u'd like it. i think u should have a seperate photo gallery that is linked with ur site. like coppermine. you can bridge that with phpbb. i've doing the same for my site. it works just fine. people will be able to rate the pics too.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers