SITE REVIEW: Acorn Technology

• jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

Please review my site at: http://www.acorn-technology.co.uk

I have totally redesigned the site to have nicer graphics and am looking to give a modern feel to the site. My main service promotion is my new Domain Name Forum which is why this hogs the home page at the moment.

I have also tried to float the site on the browser with a shadow around the edges to try to "lift it" off the page.

Reviews and comments welcome, thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• MPICS Digital
  • MPICS Digital
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, it looks pretty good. it took a little while to load, but not too long. It does look a little bit bright, I'm not sure if that is the look you were going for, but that big white space in the top middle makes it hard on the eyes to look at the whole page.

I also don't think the bottom of the page would be the best place to put info about your Business. Maybe try moving it to the top before the Domain info.

Just my 2 cents
  • jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK thanks.

You are right about the company info, I have moved it to the top.
Valuable input, thank you.

The graphics will take longer
  • MPICS Digital
  • MPICS Digital
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe you could just push the dark Blue and light Blue together and blend it so that there's not such a big white space.
  • jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

there should be another graphic in there but I'm using a Photoshop template for the logo and dont have much clue how to use it yet.

Switching between that and trustly old PSP to get what i need.

thanks
  • jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've dimmed the colours slightly and filled the white space, is that looking better?

The home page is using taking 259,798 bytes, which will load in 58.98 seconds on a 56Kbps modem, ISDN 128K 23.06 seconds and ADSL about half that. Any ideas how to reduce this without losing all graphics quality?

thanks
  • starqueen
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

the site does load slow and i dont think its on the server end, 260kb is a lot for just a few graphics... the header graphic is what takes so long to load and really it has little aesthetic content in it. id try blending in the 2 photographs in graphic together, make the viewers' eyes move from left to right-right now my eye is just stuck on the photo on the left and her eyes. the text under acorn tech is completely too small to even read, im squinting... i never squint, haha

it is lifted off the page cuz of the shadow but i think if you bordered the window with a 1px border, perhaps in gray or white, itll help with it. just a thought and a guess, id see what that looks like for kicks and giggles.

the navigation, well i dont really like the brilliant blue on the gray. if u made a 4 color .gif for each button with text i think itd look better. perhaps using a less saturated blue, on a white box, on top of the gray bg, thatd be better.

hope i was helpful!
  • jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the comments.

I have changed the colours of the buttons to a nice blue colour and also changed the header so that the company name is promonent and the girls face a bit more subtle - shes still a babe!

let me know if you think it is better now.

Cheers
  • starqueen
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

the changes are much better, 2 new crits:

1. i think white text would be better for the navigation than black, the yellow highlight is a good color
2. the woman's eyes are dull now :( although the header is great, i liked her vibrancy before! lol
  • jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

good call again, I've made both changes

the white text looks much better and ties in with the logo.
Funny how the small details make all the difference.

I've reastored her to her former radiance!

thanks for your input
  • starqueen
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

no more crits, its great :D
  • jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK thanks for your help!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might want to think about actually having your content as text, rather than as part of an image. The search engines can't read text that's embedded in an image. They much prefer ascii :)

Also, in the "domain names for sale" box, the alignment looks way off in the left column of names, so you might want to have a play with that :)
  • Pknuts
  • Pknuts

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not bad. Maybe try and blend the picture of the girl INTO the top banner? As opposed to a sudden cut, you know?
  • jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pknuts wrote:
Not bad. Maybe try and blend the picture of the girl INTO the top banner? As opposed to a sudden cut, you know?

I understand what you mean and think it would be more subtle, just not sure how to do it.

I have PSP or photoshop

Thanks
  • jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
You might want to think about actually having your content as text, rather than as part of an image. The search engines can't read text that's embedded in an image. They much prefer ascii :)

Also, in the "domain names for sale" box, the alignment looks way off in the left column of names, so you might want to have a play with that :)

Accepted on both, only reason I have text into a graphic is that my web design package, Netobjects Fusion doesn't seem to allow me to create a text box with rounded edges.

Any ideas? thanks
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup... make a table 3 cells wide by 3 cells high...

Cut out your images for the 4 corners and simply place those in with img tags and make the height of the top & bottom rows the same as the approprite images. Make the left & right columns the right width for the images..

Then in the long rows & columns along each side, set the images as backgrounds so they repeat and fill up the cell..

Then in the center cell, simply choose a background colour the same as that of your box (or, if it's not a web-friendly colour, use a 1x1 pixel image displaying the colour you desire as a "background", again it tiles to fill up the whole cell), then simply entry your text in the box as you normally would..

It's hard to explain without example code & images, and if I get time later on, I'll chop up your image (if that's cool with you), and recreate it in this kind of table style so that it can be created with regular text :)

But have a play around, once you figure out how straightforward it really is, you'll be kicking yourself :)
  • jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes feel free to chop it up, I would like to learn this.

Like everything else, its just having the time!

Thanks for your help
  • jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:

Hi, I've changed and corrected these things now
  • jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
Yup... make a table 3 cells wide by 3 cells high...

Cut out your images for the 4 corners and simply place those in with img tags and make the height of the top & bottom rows the same as the approprite images. Make the left & right columns the right width for the images..

Then in the long rows & columns along each side, set the images as backgrounds so they repeat and fill up the cell..

Then in the center cell, simply choose a background colour the same as that of your box (or, if it's not a web-friendly colour, use a 1x1 pixel image displaying the colour you desire as a "background", again it tiles to fill up the whole cell), then simply entry your text in the box as you normally would..

It's hard to explain without example code & images, and if I get time later on, I'll chop up your image (if that's cool with you), and recreate it in this kind of table style so that it can be created with regular text :)

But have a play around, once you figure out how straightforward it really is, you'll be kicking yourself :)

Did you have chance to have a go at this?

I would like to see how it's done, thanks
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't, sorry..

Actually, I'm on a "backup" PC for the next coupla days (kinda slow and crappy Athlon 1Ghz, 768Meg RAM, 17.4Gig HD), with nothing installed except Windows and a few essentials...

I've got to pick up a new CPU & Mobo this weekend, so once I get all that lot setup, I'll give it a go.
  • jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I managed it for myself, thanks anyway

How does it look now?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago