SITE REVIEW: Air Conditioning

• jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just looking for all types of general feedback on this site.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bsmall
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bsmall

Post 3+ Months Ago

the only thing that i see that would be nice is to be able to click the specials for more information about them.

personally, i dont know what an American Standard Installed Split System is, but I'm guessing it's AC and Heating. A link to a page describing these services and maybe some pictures and testemonials would be good too.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, from the top:

1) I think the logo in the top right should always be completely above the main box, no matter how the window is sized. Currently if I resize the window to be wider, the logo moves to the right of the main box. (See screenshot)

2) I think the top logo is a little bit too "popped out". That is, I think it would look better if you reduced the drop shadow just a little bit.

3) Excellent background design/colors behind the main box. It repeats nicely horizontally, too.

4) The individual boxes on the Services, Consumer Tips, and Go Green pages look rough and unfinished. I think using the same border style that you used on the About Us and Contact Us pages would make them look a lot better.

5) The Consumer Tips page looks a bit messy, mostly because none of the content boxes really line up with anything or each other. The "Bottom Line" box doesn't seem to expand to 100%. Also, did you mean to place that scrollbar all the way out there? (See screenshot)

6) On the "Contact Us" page, the comment textarea would look better if it extended all the way to the right underneath the text block above. This would also give the visitor more room to see what they're writing.

7) I like the navigation button styles and their rollovers, very well done.

I reviewed the site using Firefox 3. Everything looks the same in IE 7, except that the comment textfield on the Contact Us page only displays one line for typing.
Attachments:
coolsolutions.png

Consumer Tips

• zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great site, but not sure if the design (particularly the dark colors) are appropriate for the product. :)
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

bsmall wrote:
the only thing that i see that would be nice is to be able to click the specials for more information about them.

personally, i dont know what an American Standard Installed Split System is, but I'm guessing it's AC and Heating. A link to a page describing these services and maybe some pictures and testemonials would be good too.

I don't have any more info about the specials at this point, so there' not much I can link to.

Great point about American Standard! I added links to their website.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

zaiah wrote:
Great site, but not sure if the design (particularly the dark colors) are appropriate for the product. :)

I was a little concerned about that, too, but I gave the client a couple of different options and he chose this one. I'm kind of hoping this will set him apart in the local market a little, which is full of generic, templatey websites.
  • bsmall
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bsmall

Post 3+ Months Ago

jameson5555 wrote:
bsmall wrote:

I don't have any more info about the specials at this point, so there' not much I can link to.

Great point about American Standard! I added links to their website.

I see why you linked it to American Standard's website, but i still can't find the split system is on their site. That right there would turn me off because I'm having trouble finding out more about that product, and I can't so I'd rather go to another service site that I can (just my pov).

Also, I suggest when you are going to put a link on a site that is going outside of your site, yet you still want the user to have easy access back to your site that you use the _blank code to open a new browser window when the link is clicked. This way, all the user has to do is exit out of that page instead of backtracking through thousands (ok exagerating a bit) of pages.

Now if you want them to stay at that page then that's fine, but my guess is they find more info out about that product and then you want them to come back and schedule the service.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice background and nice logo. The logo seems to get lost in the background because they are so similar in color not sure if you could put it on the white but just an idea.

I feel like there is an awesome look to the background, the logo, the navigation, and the font and text treatment on the page titles also seems to fit really well, but the content seems to fall a little flat. I am not really sure hoe to fix it content is always the hardest part to "make it look like the most important thing on the page" especially when its mostly text.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice attention to detail- I appreciate the great feedback, spork!
Quote:
1) I think the logo in the top right should always be completely above the main box, no matter how the window is sized. Currently if I resize the window to be wider, the logo moves to the right of the main box. (See screenshot)

You're right, and it's fixed. How do you like the placement now?

Quote:
2) I think the top logo is a little bit too "popped out". That is, I think it would look better if you reduced the drop shadow just a little bit.

I kind of like the 'extremeness' of having it so far out, but you might be right.. it does kind of separate it from the content.

Quote:
3) Excellent background design/colors behind the main box. It repeats nicely horizontally, too.

Thanks. It's actually one big picture, so it doesn't repeat at all.

Quote:
4) The individual boxes on the Services, Consumer Tips, and Go Green pages look rough and unfinished. I think using the same border style that you used on the About Us and Contact Us pages would make them look a lot better.

I changed 'em :D

Quote:
5) The Consumer Tips page looks a bit messy, mostly because none of the content boxes really line up with anything or each other. The "Bottom Line" box doesn't seem to expand to 100%. Also, did you mean to place that scrollbar all the way out there? (See screenshot)

I aligned the boxes better and moved the scroller in.

Quote:
6) On the "Contact Us" page, the comment textarea would look better if it extended all the way to the right underneath the text block above. This would also give the visitor more room to see what they're writing.

I'll have to think about that one.. the form and the text are in two separate divs, so it'll take some work I think.

Quote:
7) I like the navigation button styles and their rollovers, very well done.

Thanks!

Quote:
I reviewed the site using Firefox 3. Everything looks the same in IE 7, except that the comment textfield on the Contact Us page only displays one line for typing.

Good catch. That one's gonna be tricky, since I'm out of vertical space on that page and I don't want Firefox to have a scrollbar...
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

bsmall wrote:
I see why you linked it to American Standard's website, but i still can't find the split system is on their site. That right there would turn me off because I'm having trouble finding out more about that product, and I can't so I'd rather go to another service site that I can (just my pov).

Good point. I'll have to get more product info from the owner and use more direct links.

Quote:
Also, I suggest when you are going to put a link on a site that is going outside of your site, yet you still want the user to have easy access back to your site that you use the _blank code to open a new browser window when the link is clicked. This way, all the user has to do is exit out of that page instead of backtracking through thousands (ok exagerating a bit) of pages.

I agree. I hate to use the _blank target since it's deprecated, but I'll use some JavaScript to open a new window sized right for the product info.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

CXLink wrote:
I feel like there is an awesome look to the background, the logo, the navigation, and the font and text treatment on the page titles also seems to fit really well, but the content seems to fall a little flat. I am not really sure hoe to fix it content is always the hardest part to "make it look like the most important thing on the page" especially when its mostly text.

I know what you mean.. I thought the same thing. I'm going to try and get some photos from them to put on the site, which I think will help a lot.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers