SITE REVIEW: Angrybirds Walkthrough

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is my main project right now that i have been working on the old design was a slap in the mouth and this one that i have been working on is looking good but with 90% of traffic i am limited to what i can use like flash for example. So the whole site is done in HTML and it still needs a lot of work but with 500,000 visits a month atm i need to get on top of things it is chewing through 10-15gig of traffic/day from HTML and PNG files.

I am looking to replace the sad menu on the home page with icon blocks but the main point of this design is to make it more app/game like in the way of use. I know the buttons could also do with some work but it is on that long list to do.

I hope i can get some great direction from Ozzu to take this site to the next level.

http://www.angrybirdswalkthrough.com

Zealous
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

First thing i noticed right on the bat is the ad on the right side, it its right ontop of the border to your site, and it looks bad.

See if you can push it over to the right a little more.

On the good side, i think the colors of the site work very well for the angrybirds world. it seems like it fits.

I'm not sure if the menu fits though, it seems as if the menu items are too close together, it just looks off.. now that may be the best option but i just dont know until i see it.

Overall, good job but make sure you move that ad on the right side, maybe stick it at the bottom ?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know about the ad there and for marketing purposes it has been placed there but i have not added CSS to it so i would need to change every single html file and there is a lot of them so i would like to avoid such tasks unless needed.

As for the menu if you have ever played angrybirds as the chaper icons are placed it would be the same but only on the page it would be 2 across x 5 down. But the Menu is temp right now which is why it does not look good as it was a throw togeather.

Moving the ad down the bottom i don't like the idea of that as is google thinks there is another 500 spots on my site to place ads, i could change it to a box ad in the middle which now that i think about it would of been a much better idea but just did not think of it at the time.

Thank you much very for your constructive criticism Skirge :)
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the color scheme. Its very fitting for the angry birds world. The first thing that caught my eye was the font of your text. Its not set to default to anything so on everyones computer its different. It looks to be Times New Roman on my computer, which isn't the greatest of fonts for a website in my opinion.

Also note that meta data usually goes in the head tags, my guess is that its actually a required standard.

HTML Code: [ Select ]
</head>

<body><meta name="description" content="Complete walkthrough through the entire Angrybirds game. Video tutorials and updates for Angry Addicts. This is the original Walkthrough site for Angrybirds." />

<table width="900" height="1500" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" id="Table_01">

1. </head>
  3. <body><meta name="description" content="Complete walkthrough through the entire Angrybirds game. Video tutorials and updates for Angry Addicts. This is the original Walkthrough site for Angrybirds." />
  5. <table width="900" height="1500" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" id="Table_01">
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

interesting, i remember reading about fonts in a web design magazine last year which you have just reminded about it. this article suggested using a font that was hosted online so when the page loads it loads the font from a external server thus loading the font across any viewing device. But from what i know when setting a font the visiting computer must have it or it will revert to default.

Now most of my traffic is mobile based android, iPhone and iPad devices mostly So is there something you could suggest to counter this bug?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It will set it to a default, which for me is Times New Roman. You can set a font using CSS. The visiting browser will try to use that font if it can. If it doesn't have the font it will use its default. Its not much of a bug, its just the way browsers work.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice looking site. I really like what you've done with it. As far as colors, layout and organization goes I think it looks really good. I have this game on my iPhone and probably would be visiting this site to get 3 stars in some levels where I can't.

Some of the things that I noticed is that ad (like Skirge pointed out) that could be fixed... just add a left margin (I think) and that should fix it.

Also, I wouldn't make the main content centered.

That's pretty much it... if I see anything else, I would let you know.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

good to hear that there is nothing serious, a friend of mine is helping me re-work the site into wordpress and everything you have said has been taken into account while also expanding the site. From the results so far everything is looking amazing. I hope to see the new site up within the next 2 weeks.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

So you don't need my help anymore with the reworking of your site?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
So you don't need my help anymore with the reworking of your site?

on a seconds thought i wanted you to take a look at it so i send you a pm just then with some details and yea get back to me on your thoughts.
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is really good looking IMO. The only flaw I found were linking related.

Go to: angrybirdswalkthrough (dot) com/Seasons/Go_Green_Get_Lucky/1-3/index.html

Scroll down and press: "Enter Forum". Actually all in the go green get lucky section seems to be linking to:

Code: [ Select ]
angrybirdswalkthrough (dot) com/Seasons/Forum/index.html

Its a dead end. And should be linking here (I THINK):

angrybirdswalkthrough (dot) com/Forum/index.html

No biggie. Nice site overall!
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

WritingBadCode wrote:
The site is really good looking IMO. The only flaw I found were linking related.

Go to: angrybirdswalkthrough (dot) com/Seasons/Go_Green_Get_Lucky/1-3/index.html

Scroll down and press: "Enter Forum". Actually all in the go green get lucky section seems to be linking to:

angrybirdswalkthrough (dot) com/Seasons/Forum/index.html

Its a dead end. And should be linking here (I THINK):

angrybirdswalkthrough (dot) com/Forum/index.html

No biggie. Nice site overall!

yea i know i missed a few things but that won't matter anymore shortly i should have a wordpress version of the site custom built with all osrts of goodies. Finished last month at 512,000 visits and 400gig bandwidth :P so may be time to move soon.
  • ashly211
  • Born
  • Born
  • ashly211

Post 3+ Months Ago

The idea is simple. We surf through internet, sometimes find useful things we are interested in, and we want to know more. No matter if it is a geek novelty, Asian resort or new Penthagon servers hacking way. We open search, gradually going through positions chosen by search engines intelligence and richly interspersed with interminable SEO-optimizators budgets. We open one page, the other one, having opened a dozen of them we learn about a useful forum or blog… Just remember, how much time had you spent to collect really good bunch of bookmarks for the topic you are interested in?
  • lup0

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey, :)

i went through your site and it was amazing - at the first sight. the images and the entire l&f is so cool.

i was stuck only at the second page when i saw the "peeking" ad on the right. it looks bad trust me. you might want to arrange it.

also you have provided your e-mail address provided right there - a treat for spammers! why not use a script to provide a form for user to SMTP mail through that form and not reveal the e-mail address. but that's your choice. hope you got a good spam assassin. :wink:

umm i think you should hide the features that are not working rather than telling the user that some features might not work. "ooppss.....Something is broken, Please come back later" is really confusing to an average user.

but on the whole you did a great job! :)

regards
lup0
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have just updated the entire site with a new table layout and fixed up a lot of what you just said over the last few weeks. i am getting it more organized now but cheers this site has been a lot of work but getting there now.

still a lot of work to do tho and just got a nice new VPS for it too and most traffic is from USA and all reports has been good on site speed.
  • lup0

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi zealous,

wow you made lots of improvements! :) the email setting is nice and it will be harder for bots to get your e-mail address now. the look and feel was already marvelous i told you.

i hope the inactive icons and parts will soon be working and your visitors will have a good time playing the games. nice!

regards
lup0
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea just a sold few days of work and the site will be complete and then all is left is the data entry and content with a few sub scripts that are in development. i got some more stuff in development that will be tested on the site, should be some good stuff soon.

Working on a angrybirdstube too right now that i should have working within a few weeks.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I appreciate this reply isn't exactly what you are after, however if you could put a section up for Angry Birds Seasons as well this would be extremely handy!
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am getting through it, i have hired 2-3 people to start working on data entry, i have spent a few nights on the computer till sunrise and things are starting to get there. Working on it bit by bit.

But thanks everyone this has been my first large scale project and i am going to finish the dam thing.

Also i got a birthday next week so i am making angrybirds cake, going to remake a level in cake form hahahaha.
  • pagebot
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • pagebot

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't change a thing here, seems like you did you homework.
Also i think it's a hot niche and you can easily monetize it.
Good luck!
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

pagebot wrote:
I wouldn't change a thing here, seems like you did you homework.
Also i think it's a hot niche and you can easily monetize it.
Good luck!

This is like the 4th version of the site but thank you very much, good to see that i am running on the right track for once.

The drop is traffic is killing me and i just invested in expanding the site in the hope to save the project from the massive revenue drop.

All in all i am very proud of the site and i would never of got this far without the help of the community of the internet. I had help from a few people adding their say but i rebuilt it a few times tho.

Cheers everyone, most comments have been really positive. :)
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it has been another year or so and traffic seams to be going dead, anyone have any idea's on what to do with it now. I need to make changes to it somehow to get attention back again.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers