SITE REVIEW: AnimeNoBaka.com

• Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey all, my friens and i have been building a site for a while now... i just thought id ask for your opinion on what we have so far...
heres the site: AnimeNoBaka.com

just ignore the mainpage please... we are currently in the midst of a heated battle over whether or not to remove it... i personally think it looks rather lame... but thats me...
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

you link doesn't work, but the one in the sig does!

Just thought I'd let everyone know ;)

//now for an actual review!

The site looks nice. In internet explorer. All the layouts are a bit dishevelled in gecko based browsers (i used firefox). Secondly, the first thing you see when you go to the site are MySQL errors!

There is obviously a lot more content to go on, but the constant 404's made it annoying to navigate as it was a gamble everytime you click a link!

I think the site has a lot of potential, but its just not ready for review yet!
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, i forgot the 'http://' in the link... it was trying to link over to http://www.ozzu.com/www.animenobaka.com i wish! :P and i fixed the link up there

as for the MySQL errors, we are currently in the process of talking to our provider, trying to figure out what the heck is wrong! ive tried reinstalling the scripts 3 times, to no effect... *sigh* why cant it just work like its susposed to??? :(

Quote:
I think the site has a lot of potential, but its just not ready for review yet!

yeah... i realize that now... i was under the impression that the layouts for 15 of the 16 sections were done... well, i guess they're not... or maybe they arent uploaded yet... i don't know... oh well...

oh, just one question though
Quote:
gecko based browsers

i feel stupid asking this, but is this anything like mozzilla?? because i use netscape most of the time... and it looks fine in there... *shrug* just wondering...

*sighs again* going to go get after the other admins get them coding again... WE NEED TO GET THIS SITE DONE!!!

thanks for the advice :-)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah netscape and firefox = very similar display.

Its the thing where the body scrolls over the title on that front page, it doesn't in IE. I assumed that it wasn't supposed to? It looks kinda funny to me. There's a couple of other pages that display differently as well. They are useable still so no panic!

I just noticed something else, I thought all the links had stopped working! :oops: you load the links into a new page, and re-use the same page for other links.
The popup page stays behind the main page, so I didn't realise a new page was opening! hahaha. You need to set the focus to the popup page, else dumb people ;) will get confused
  • silentdreamer
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Trapped in the mist of dark desires...

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have a very good site. The popups for each anime series looks awesome! But the thing is, I'd rather have the pages load on that same window (but thats just my opinion). Anyways, I think you need to complete your site ASAP because when visitors visit your site and found a whole bunch of 404s, you know what happens next :lol:

btw, is that PHPNuke you're using? just wondering :wink:
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, the forums are phpBB, and the rest of the site is a mesh of php (that i wrote, minus the news scripts on the mainpage, which is freeware), and HTML, which is there becuase one of the other admins doesnt want to learn php/mysql...

and it is my goal to get the templates for all of the sections up within a week... then ppl can at least see what the site will *LOOK* like... even if there is no content...:P

and ill talke to the other admins tomarrow about keeping the site all in the same window... ty
  • favouritelink
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: seattle

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I looked at your website and it looks very nice only under 'News and updates' there is something wrong it does not work .

And the titels of the tables are hard to read. maybe you should change the background of the tables.

good luck.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just went and changed the section links, they now all open in the main window... ill just see if he notices the change... :flame:

and i am going to fix that news script problem this weekend, or else i am going to commit servercide...
  • girlmon
  • Born
  • Born
  • girlmon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice art work
  • puKKa
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site looks really nice, the toplogo is a bit big but it works fine anyway.

the only really problem is the "intro", change the "Click here ´TO ENTER" text into another font and change the color so they fit better.
It would also look good if you make the picture at the top fade out to black at the edges so it is more "in" the page.

thats all, over and out :)

*edit*
ALOT of dead links in the rurounin kenshin part of the site.

the page is abit irritating to navigate on since you change page depending on what anime you want to read about´.
  • Subspace000
  • Subspace000

Post 3+ Months Ago

the dead links are the result of the admin assigned to that part of the site dragging his rear end.... Cae and I will go and kick him a bit.

Cae and I have done the most complete area's of the site and we're slowly taking on the others one at a time..... needless to say, its slow going....

Annnd..... i don't control the templates, go bug Biodermcq on the Contact Us page :P
  • infoscripts
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site overall but I don't really like the text effect in the intro, the music is ok so. The top banner with the dragon looks great! The yellow text on the black background isn't easy to read, I would suggest a white color. The menu in the two side of the screen are a bit confusing.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

we tried to separate the individual sections form the rest of the features on the site... ie the boards / fan fic / fan art

Quote:
navigate on since you change page depending on what anime you want to read about

i really cant think of any other way to have 16 anime series on the same site, and not have different sections for each one... if you have any suggestions, theyd be appreciated...

o, and i just realized we dont have links back to the main page so you can select a different series... oops...

and as for the intro movie... im trying to convince another admin that we should move it up into the banner on the mainpage, and just have that be our mainpage... b/c personally i think that that intro page with the movie looks like it was thrown together in about 30 seconds (which it pro'lly was) and what does that say about the site if that is the first thing you see???
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, we did away with the stupid intro movie thingy... this is what we have now (were still working on the transition between the animation and the gif, but that will be solved quickly)... i just wanted to know what you all thought about it now...

additionally, the animation will not work in mozilla, and i was wondering if anyone knows why... ty
  • Gints Vitols
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Gints Vitols
  • Loc: Latvia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Visually your site is really cool, very nice job, there appears to be a lot of content, but at the same time there's a heap of design mistakes making a rather bad overall impression.

Consistency is the key for a good user experience - why in the world every section devoted to different anime series has to have completely different layout, color scheme, placement of navigation links, and link colors?

A simple link to the main page is turned into a puzzle - "ANB.Com Home", why I have to guess what ANB means?

On the main page what is the point in dividing the anime links into sections named "Series", "Series", "Series", and "Series" - a somewhat strange classification. And the background for these headings is too dark for black text.

On all "Tenchi Muyo" pages the text is almost unreadable on that background.

On "Ah My Goddess" pages cursor changes to crosshair when you hover it over links and it is not what I expect from cursor in this situation.

On "Angelic Layer" page the text that goes over the left background girl hair is absolutely unreadable.

On "Love Hina" page links are almost invisible in Mozilla browser, because it doesn't support Microsoft filter properties. At the same time in Internet Explorer those links, in my opinion, look terrible anyway, and I really don't like links that change size when you hover the cursor over them. It creates an especially crazy effect when you hover the cursor over the (almost invisible) "Back To Bios Index" link on character bios pages - all content of the page starts dancing around.

All "Gundam Wing" pages in Mozilla browser are totally screwed up.

I hate iframes. One scrollbar is bad enough, but having two vertical scrollbars on one page (like on "Rurouni Kenshin" pages) is too much for me.

Page like "Fan Art", "Fanfiction" or "Contact Us" need some empty space at the bottom of the page, because when I see the last link in the left column at the very bottom of the screen I instinctively try to scroll down to see if there are any other links.

I don't think that those orange vertical lines on main page must have those small dots or whatever they are.

In general I think the site is nice, it just needs a lot of work.
  • puKKa
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm thinking of making a manga/anime site connected to my own homepage, intressted in banner exchange? don't know if there be a page but IF ;)
  • dizzy_boy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dizzy_boy

Post 3+ Months Ago

The titles on the main page are very hard to read (black on dark). I personaly find the way of navigation you used very iritating. Clik a link and then go back home for another. I don't why it is so hard to have them all open in your main page, this way you keep your navigation at all times. The way I did it on my site: Left link menu are the category links. The content opens in the center and above are top menu links that are different for every category. So when you browse through the individual anime, left menu stays the same (for switching from one anime to another), and the top menu is specific for the actual anime. Or is the difference in design of individual anime pages crucial...
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

go read this...

http://www.ozzu.com/general-discussion/have-the-right-pissed-t25546.html

additionally, i might add, that every 'problem' or improvement that has been suggest for the site has been the result of a single admin (who shall remain nameless)
  • dizzy_boy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dizzy_boy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good luck!!! :o :wink:
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, the problem has been resolved... we are currently remaking the mainpage, and going to use the layout for said mainpage throughout the site... the new mainpage is only slightly different from the original, which can be found HERE... the new version, which can be found HERE has something wrong with it... i have no idea what it is though... something just doesnt look right to me... :S i think it has something to do with the banner, but im just not sure... any ideas?
  • Subspace000
  • Subspace000

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone? We would really like to hear what you think of the page...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers