SITE REVIEW: Arrow Motors

• monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
Have been working on this for a few days now & am fairly inexperienced at web design. Only an entry page for now but any comments on the design or whatever would be greatly appreciated thanks :)

Chris

http://www.arrowmotors.com/new.htm
  • miservices
  • miservices

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey chris , not bad. i would avoid the current background image you are using as it "glitches" when you scroll. also you need to fix the rollovers for the database links. you have a great start.
  • _Leo_
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice page, but... you should remove bold from the large text. Bold font is not supposed to be used for the whole text, it makes text difficult to read and you loose a resource for emphasizing portions of the text.
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers guys.

miservices what res & browser are you using please? The site was short-sightedly designed for 1024x768 but I am hoping to incorporate a script which will redirect people at 800x600 to a scaled-down version. This should (touch-wood) eliminate the problem as no scrolling will have to occur except for in the embedded text box.
Didn't notice the database links become invisible - doh! - will fix them. Ta :)

Leo - have tried the text without bold and slightly larger and it does look a lot better. Thanks for that!

I've cut off the end buffer-columns but can't decide if i prefer it this way or not. What d'you reckon?

http://www.arrowmotors.com/new.htm (<-- with columns)
http://www.arrowmotors.com/new2.htm (<-- without)
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice Site. Looks very proffesional. I don't know bout the buffers, whatever you feel best about I guess. Fix those database links, I hate for my links to dissapear on me. Other than that good proffesional looking work.
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers shark - database links to be fixed asap!
Chris
  • hyparzero
  • hyparzero

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should try some other languages.
adding flash would help
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe

Post 3+ Months Ago

What kinda stuff did were you thinking of?

BTW I made the movie in top right corner in flash. Or were you thinking of an all-flash version of the site?

Cheers
Chris
  • www.pc-clever.com
  • www.pc-clever.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a pro design in my opinion, i think you should use more subtle effects on the flash.

Dont do all-flash version of the site - The flash seems a bit irratating (my opinion)
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe

Post 3+ Months Ago

See what you mean. I'll have a go at fading it slower & leaving out the white flash between pics.

Thanks pc-clever
Chris
  • assa_29
  • assa_29

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my opinion the site looks professionally! IMHO there is not enough information on cars! Also all is not so looked new window better would make in one window!
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks assa
lol that's true there is very little on cars but at the moment its just design, with more content to follow.
do you mean you like the second link better? can't quite make out what you mean by the 2nd point sorry!

cheers
chris
  • webmasterbrain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmasterbrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site looks nice, and professional, a few thing (in my opinion) to improve might be:

1. Logo, make it smaller: I realize getting your name/brand recognized is important, but a logo that large serves to be a bit distracting, loads slow, and takes up to much space.

2. Lose the Iframe: If you made more space by reducing some of the overly large areas like the logo, you could fit more text above the fold, but anything (in my opinion) would be better than using a Iframe, since they are fiddly, and a little annoying.

3. Lose softened image borders: This is very much personal opinion but the fade out border effect (on your static image of the cars) looks kinda unprofessional, but obviously its all objective, and it's up to you.

4. Search engine optimization: This is not a design thing, but remember their is no point having a website if no one goes there, and search engines are the main source of traffic, so you need to decide upon your keywords and build them into your site, build up link popularity, and generally optimize your site for search engines, but I'm not gonna go into all the details here, I'm sure you'll find all the info you need if you look around these forums, Google, (my website might even help a little *cough)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

webmasterbrain: Could you please direct yourself to the rules regarding signatures.

http://www.ozzu.com/announcements-rules/ozzu-rules-and-regulations-t697.html

Signatures must be no more than 3 lines in length, and contain no more than 2 URLs.
  • webmasterbrain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmasterbrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, that has been done, Mr Snake.

Although...

Quote:
Signatures containing an image of 30px high or less may include two lines of small size text.

Size of your signature image: 31px
Lines of text in your signature: 2

Ooops.

(Joke, but still true)

P.S. Please don't banish me.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers