SITE REVIEW: Athenadirectory.com

• doudoucorp
  • doudoucorp

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I have recently created a webdirectory www.athenadirectory.com.
i would like to get some of your feedback on the design, colours, navigation...

thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi doudoucorp, welcome to Ozzu.

Your website has a nice clean-looking layout and the colors are pleasing and soothing. Your logo is great!

Regarding navigation, I would prefer that the sites in each category were listed in columns reading from top to bottom (i.e. column 1 lists A-M and column 2 lists N-Z) instead of going from column1->column2 (across then down). For me it would read much easier. I found that hopping from one column to the next a little tiring on the eyes. For example:

Code: [ Select ]
Current      Preferable
AAA BBB     AAA CCC
BBB CCC     BBB CCC
CCC CCC     BBB DDD
DDD EEE     CCC EEE
  1. Current      Preferable
  2. AAA BBB     AAA CCC
  3. BBB CCC     BBB CCC
  4. CCC CCC     BBB DDD
  5. DDD EEE     CCC EEE

That would be the single biggest improvement in my opinion. I'm not entirely convinced the following images:
image1
image2
match the site theme. Your html does not validate either (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.athenadirectory.com/dir/index.asp)

Overall I think you are doing a great job. Good work.
  • sports-facts
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sports-facts
  • Loc: Detroit

Post 3+ Months Ago

doudoucorp wrote:
Hi all,

thanks

i think lionking hit it right on the nail in terms of a-m and n-z. The overall look of the site is very professional, look a lot better than dmoz.

I like how there are no ads on the home page, only on the listings page. Also you don't just list the site description and link. you have a screen shot, review, errors, etc. which gives the site a nice potential.

on the add a listing page you should offer an optional reciprocal link, one little thing could boost your traffic a loy.
  • doudoucorp
  • doudoucorp

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for these reviews, i ll take good note of it.

i have to agree with you about the way the columns are displayed. It will be probably easier to ready if the name are listed vertically (A-Z).
i will have a look at it anyway.
  • jonhmiles
  • Born
  • Born
  • jonhmiles

Post 3+ Months Ago

it looks good, easy to use, clean professional and i like the colours!
What script are you using?
  • mdancy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mdancy
  • Loc: hong kong

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I like the directory - nice & clean look, easy to use. I'll be adding my site!

Only one comment. Why do we need another web directory? And what is your web directory going to do for my site that others don't?

What I'm getting at is that you might need a little marketing pizazz to lure more sites. And maybe explain why you created this site - was it that the big guys were lacking in personalized care of its listers? Yes. Hype yourself! Your site does look better than dmoz and it is far easier to navigate. You can offer personalized service and devote space to preview the site.

Keep up the good work.
Mdancy
http://www.tonydancy.com
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

mdancy wrote:
Only one comment. Why do we need another web directory? And what is your web directory going to do for my site that others don't?

What I'm getting at is that you might need a little marketing pizazz to lure more sites. And maybe explain why you created this site - was it that the big guys were lacking in personalized care of its listers? Yes. Hype yourself! Your site does look better than dmoz and it is far easier to navigate. You can offer personalized service and devote space to preview the site.

Valid questions mdancy - there are so many web directories out there and perhaps some sort of blog to hype itself more. But even without that I feel this directory just from first impressions is making a statement. I will also be adding my site when I 'launch' it.
  • workasfreelancer
  • workasfreelancer

Post 3+ Months Ago

the site looks really professional and layouts and the like is clean! that's why i have added my site on december 6 :)
well yep there are a LOT od directories, but most do use the same simple directory script that is most often free. they all want to make some money using the ads and of course the paid-listings.. however your site conveys a specific professionality
  • Detektiv
  • Loc: World Wide Web

Post 3+ Months Ago

doudoucorp wrote:
Hi all,

thanks

Nice... really nice
  • netguard
  • netguard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice colour sceme, the site loaded fast for me and navigation was very easy.

I went tried adding one of my sites to the directory and everything there went smooth, waiting for your approval of my site now.

The search button in the top bar should be labelled "search" in stead of Submit, I had to try to put something in and press it to find out what it actually did.

Good site - and good luck with it.
Kim
  • mdancy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mdancy
  • Loc: hong kong

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi - went back to revisit the site after I added mine to it. Just a couple of suggestions:
- add a FAQ for listers (my question is, when will my picture be added)
- and your search box says "submit" rather than "search". since most folks are used to the word search it might be better to use that

Looking good!
mdancy
http://www.tonydancy.com
  • doudoucorp
  • doudoucorp

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Actually the screenshots are coming from the Alexa thumbails (www.alexa.com).
I cannot edit them. Your screenshot will appear on the directory when alexa will update your website statistics. This can take a few weeks i suppose.
Thats why your actual screenshot can show a older design than your actual one.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers