SITE REVIEW: Atlantis: The Game

• Black_Legon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Black_Legon
  • Loc: Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder what the people here thing about the colours of my site.
and everyting else to ofcourse.
The site is about a online game that plays deep under the surface so it has to be a with dark colours.
The colour of the title of each subject needs to be changed i think.
Any sugestions?

My website is:

http://www.atlantisthegame.com

Grs
Black_Legon
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it is supposed to be adark site fine but i do suggest you find a lighter text. Maybe a light gray or even white. The blue lines and blue text are incredibly hard to see. Dark site is fine but the important stuff like text needs to be easily readable. Also the first page took a long time to load not sure y that is, maybe you should try slicing up your inmages in photoshop or imageready. But the site will be nice when it is done, sounds like a fun game!
  • maxf
  • maxf

Post 3+ Months Ago

You asked what we think about the colors:

Too much blue! The background color looks fine, but the text, banner, and content doesn't stand out enough. The site blends a bit too much. Especially the text though. I think some more contrast is needed. A great example would be here, the white on black and white on dark gray looks really nice. It's important to find two colors that compliment eachother well.

Otherwise, the rest of the site looks nice. Good work!
  • paul72388
  • paul72388
  • Loc: new york

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would try to make the colors so that they make the game stick out, experiment a little with the colors to see what one makes the game most appealing. I was also concerned about your logo it isn't completely shown, it looks like it is cut off. You might want to adjust it so it can be seen better. I also thought that it was hard to read some of your text (dark blue). You never want it so it is hard for the user to read, try a brighter color that will stick out more. Overall, its a good site, but changing a few things can make it look great

-P.S. the game looks great, hope my advice helped
  • Black_Legon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Black_Legon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tnx for your commends :)

I changed the txt colors..

Better this way?
Or does anybody here has a better id?
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

There we go! thats better, i can read it now. I hate to say it but try turning it up just a couple more, LOL i know im being picky :oops: but people told me the same thing about my site and you and I both used a dark blue as the bg color. So is used this color: #D8DCDF. Its a kind of dirty white. You site really looks better now, Its just another suggeston from a picky guy :lol: Nice Work!
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

There we go! thats better, i can read it now. I hate to say it but try turning it up just a couple more, LOL i know im being picky :oops: but people told me the same thing about my site and you and I both used a dark blue as the bg color. So is used this color: #D8DCDF. Its a kind of dirty white. You site really looks better now, Its just another suggeston from a picky guy :lol: Nice Work!
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd personnally still go for a lighter color, #ccc is a good bet - and it's websafe (not that really matters these days!). Light, but stll easy on the eyes.

First thing I noticed was how long for the pictures :shock: Theres not even really a huge amount there and yet it still takes ages! You need to look into minimising your filesizes. It also means that you hover effects don't work to fast.
I would also add a title to the top frameset.#

On 600x800 resolution the top buttons go onto a second line and push the title image down so it gets cut in half by the frameset. You also have the problem that at this resolution that the center frameset (the most important one!) is really narrow, making reading a chore.

I had a look at your source code, and it all looks fine other than the use of icky tables, but we sharn't go into that. Turn off the no right click. It's a bloody waste of time and just annoying.

I haven't signed up for an account, but it looks like the game itself is a good idea, I just think that you need to put some more thought into your design. And the spelling too :D Good luck mate.

BTW: Why do you have a frameset inside a frame as a different IP address? You were moaning about people with .tk extension? lol
  • Black_Legon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Black_Legon

Post 3+ Months Ago

tnx for the advise...

And i have a payed host .. they have good servers :)
.tk and other free redirect extentions have popups so it's slows down. and i can't afford that to ;)
And those servers are a lot down.

And sorry for my spelling... :( try to do something about that :)

And who in thsse days has a reso of 800x600 :s
if i take a look at my visitor stats... 1 of the 400 has that reso..

I think I can use my time better to script the game.. than worry about those with a *** reso.

But tnx... :)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

fair enough if only 0.25% have that res. I retract the statement as your case is apparently exceptional. some studies indicate 40% of users on the internet have 800x600.

hmmmm... maybe the ones with smaller screens left straight away :p. lol! Ignore the screen stuff if you know it doesn't appy to you.
  • disgust
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • disgust

Post 3+ Months Ago

uh, wasn't there already an atlantis game? O_o

myst-style game, if I remember right..
  • puKKa
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is the tips I got:

light up the text alittle bit more, hard to read, the "topics" should not be in black but in a light-blue color I think.
change the font to verdana or something else cuz that text makes it look like a "my first site" thing.
otherwise it looks good :)
  • Black_Legon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Black_Legon

Post 3+ Months Ago

well.. as far as i know.. there isn't a web based from Atlantis.
And a lot of people do like it the way i bring it. So why not?

And i changed the font style.

Are there other things i have to change?
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

disgust: you wouldn't get on well working at a games dev company:
"isn't there already a riving game been done before?"
"I've already seen a game with guns in?"

etc etc.... Name ten "big name" games released in the last few years that are completely original (here's a start: herdy gerdy, now you'll struggle for the rest.).

You also win the prize for least useful review :D

kudos to black legon for actually bothering to make and impliment an entire game online. I don't personally know how good it is or what it's like, but I know when I have tried to make games in the past I've got nowhere because I just can't be bothered.

Back on topic. There isn't really anything that needs changing. As I like to find lots of little niggles :) here's some more suggestions:

1) remove all of the black text - especially the link hover as black (I would change it to white because I like my links to stand out more when hovered, I feel these links becaome less prominent)

2) try to do a preload for your top image links, to prevent them taking so long to change when you first mouse over them. See note below

3) You have some little browser compatibility issues (I'm looking in firefox and IE) BUT this is pretty minor stuff so best to ignore. The only thing I would say is that where you have stuff like:

Code: [ Select ]
.normal
{
    color : grey;
    font-family : "Comic Sans MS";
    font-size : 13;
    font : bold;
}
  1. .normal
  2. {
  3.     color : grey;
  4.     font-family : "Comic Sans MS";
  5.     font-size : 13;
  6.     font : bold;
  7. }

don't use "grey" or any word to define your colors. Use the hex codes as different browsers have different ways of interpreting the word grey (mozzilla displays it darker - less readable)

Notes on Preloading.
A preload will load the hover images, before the user puts their mouse over them, and cache them, so you should get an instant swap, rather than a second or so delay

If you want to do a preload, DO NOT get a javascript preload function. For some reason these rarely work, even the ones written by experts. Instead use this css:

Code: [ Select ]
img.preload{
position:absolute;
width:0px;
height:0px;
left:-10px;    /*just in case the images display at 1px wid or somat*/
}
  1. img.preload{
  2. position:absolute;
  3. width:0px;
  4. height:0px;
  5. left:-10px;    /*just in case the images display at 1px wid or somat*/
  6. }

Then write an image tag for each of the button hover images, and give them a class of "preload".
  • puKKa
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks much better now :)
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very Nice! The site really looks good. :) Have Fun!
  • Black_Legon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Black_Legon

Post 3+ Months Ago

tnx to you all :)
  • Black_Legon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Black_Legon