SITE REVIEW: AtomicOxide

• Nebulous
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Nebulous
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi people,

my site is based on the idea of hotscripts and scriptsearch.com, currently only a few of the script sections were up, and the Template and Tutorials section are currently in construction. Please feel free to comment on what ever, everything you say will just help me make a better site.

Link: http://atomicoxide.co.uk

Please also feel free to use my contact form to send any feedback to me as I would retrieve it quicker.

Thanks for taking the time to review my site.,
  • DeepVeinInsomnia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • DeepVeinInsomnia

Post 3+ Months Ago

by posting your site here i assume you willing and able to recieve constructive criticism, i would point out the i feel creating a site in it's own right is an achievement and indeed you have achieved this, i would however reconsider the follow:

Having ads at the very top your page
    Your banner the code to left is not faded and when the page was running i was expecting this to be an error (first impressions count)
    The menus sections is appears 'squashed' to the the top left, you could make it larger or stop this cell from dropping down to the bottom
    Murphy's law if something can go wrong it will, the first page i navigated to was http://atomicoxide.co.uk/PHP_Scripts/ and i clicked on mail list management it's a non active link to me this is a terrible mistake, there is of course always pressure to put a site up prematurely for example to overcome the time lag in search engine indexing or simply blue skys though but it makes a terrible impression on the users, (see below)

I think these issue need addressing the rest of this post is extract from a newsletter I recieved it's about the co founder and ceo of apple it will perhaps serve to both entertain you and inform you

THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE-THOUSANDTH

This might be a third-hand story, but it's good.

It's an excerpt from a recent interview with John Gruber, long-time commentator on all things Apple. Here, John is talking about Steve Jobs, co-founder and CEO of Apple:

"I think Jobs is keenly aware of the importance of first impressions. Let's say you buy a new computer and use it for three years. That's about 1,000 days. Your first-run experience - the experience you encounter the first time you boot the machine after taking it out of the box - therefore constitutes about one-thousandth of your entire experience with the machine.

"I think that's the sort of logic that has driven most companies not to put that much effort into designing the first-run user interface - it's only going to happen once, and if it isn't smooth, so what?

"Whereas I think Jobs looks at the first-run experience and thinks, it may only be one-thousandth of a user's overall experience with the machine, but it's the most important one-thousandth, because it's the first one-thousandth, and it sets their expectations and initial impression."

source: http://businessbricks.co.uk
  • Nebulous
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Nebulous

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thank you for the criticism it will all go towards improving my site. The reason I have the non active links is to make the site appear more full, and so the visitors can/are able to see what sections are coming in the future, but thanks for the feedback I will consider removing it.

Also I have had a few comments about my header and the code, so I am going to improve that in the near future.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some mouseovers on your nav bar under the logo would be nice. Way too much use of the color red, maybe introduce another color to break it up.
  • webmasterforum
  • Student
  • Student
  • webmasterforum

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice, you have a great website header, however, it should be at the top, not a banner. You should put the banners at the bottom.

Also, something you should work on is the loading speed, I have a *really bad* cable Internet service (500kbps) and it still takes awhile to load.

Also, I looked at templates:
Quote:
Sorry, This page is Still being created and/or is no longer available, Please check back at a later date. If you feel this page should be working then please contact us [Here]

We apologize for any inconveniences this has caused you.

You may want to finish that.
  • Nebulous
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Nebulous

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all your great feedback reguarding my site, all of it will be taken into account.

Thanks.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers