SITE REVIEW: Avenue 11

• thecodman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: CT, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Everyone I just completed this site and would like as much input/reviews as possible. Thanks!

Avenue 11 - Free Website Hosting & Design Services

Also, if anybody has any ideas on how to market the site at no cost that would be great!

Thanks Again!

The CodMan
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I went to the page I got really annoying popups on the first visit. After the first visit I didn't get anymore. Secondly I get a JavaScript error on your page (a syntax error on line 184). The design of the page itself is okay. Seems like it needs to be spiced up a bit. I like the menus on the left and right side but I think the middle area (between the left and right menu on the main page) needs some work.

As far as promoting your site for free I recommend you try to optimize your site for the search engines. Also once your site is fully complete you should submit your site to as many directories that you can find that are revelant to your site's subject. See this post for some of the biggest directories you can submit to (keep in mind there are hundreds of directories, you just have to find them):

http://www.ozzu.com/viewtopic.php?t=926
  • mnmarkm
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Cloquet, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

First instinct was to exit upon receiving a popup.
One thing that stands out alot is the Company Name.

Quote:
Avenue 11 also believes that no website can be successful without an audience and this is why we provide free advertising on this page to all sites that choose a host through Avenue 11, are hosted by Avenue 11, get their site designed by Avenue 11, or are anyway affiliated with Avenue 11.

That's a hell of alot Avenue 11's in this statement. You may want to reconsider the use of your company name on the first page. There are 18 instances on the index page that say Avenue 11. 19 if you include the domain name.

A banner or header at the top would be sufficient.

As an example,

Quote:
We at Avenue 11 believe that no website can be sucessful without an audience. We provide free advertising on this page to all sites that we host, or are hosted through us. Affiliates and sites designed by us are also included.

Feel free to use, mangle or hack any or all of the example if it will help you out.

One more issue, you may want to consider is the font coloring and size.

Good Luck with your endeavor!
  • skeebee
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • skeebee

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the site...looks good ^10
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

skeebee, did you actually visit the site? no offense to anyone but it
needs a lot work. as soon as I got the javascript error I closed it. I have
no tolerance for that, sorry.

not to mention the popups :roll:
  • schmeg007
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • schmeg007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I saw that you're just using a premade website, where you typed in some content and called it done. I would recommend that you spend some more time playing around with this free webportal and maybe also check out PHP-Nuke. I've used both and I think PHP-Nuke is pretty good.

However, neither one of those portals really is applicable to your website. I'd recommend just making your own layout that suits your needs.
  • ukshopsnet
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ukshopsnet
  • Loc: HIGH PEAK, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I have just visited your site, and yes, I too hate sites with pop-ups, the first thing I generally do is close a pop-up before it even gets chance to load. Pop-ups in my mind are old hat and totally inaffective. Their annoyance value is way up in my top ten of things to turn me off a site.

Also, the site is carrying an error on the page, this does not look good at all. The site seems to bombard the visitor with a wall of text, personally I do not like this, a few images, or at least more spacing looks more visually appealling... not sure either about the font size and colours used in the central part of the page.

Regards
Phil
http://www.ukshopsnet.com

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers