OK, some changes are needed

SITE REVIEW: Aviation Earth

• farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Please visit my website and post all your feedback and suggestions.

Some pages may take you to the old design, i am in the process of switching .

You can also contact me using the contact form

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated

Thank You

http://www.aviationearth.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• roje0913
  • Student
  • Student
  • roje0913

Post 3+ Months Ago

The first thing I noticed about this site was that your logo had a reflection only for the 2nd part 'Earth'. Your navigation menu looks a lot like a search portal to me and some of your words are barely within the boundaries. My suggestion for this would be smaller font or wider tabs. I would also suggest a couple more pictures on the opening page to spice it up a bit.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe I remember looking at this about a month or so ago down in the SEO or google section. All I have to say is WOW! What a change, Ill come back and give a little more formal review later.

Nice work!
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

There seems to be some kind of white box overlapping your search box, I am using I.E so thats something you may want to look at.

Your design though is great, I love the simplicity of it. It just all goes well together I have to say that is some great work. Like spoof I remember your site from like a month ago and this design is far better.

I also think that you should mabye think about moving your logo to the middle of your webpage.
  • mrbigdog
  • Born
  • Born
  • mrbigdog

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Nice minor adaptation of a free template!

I did the same thing for my website!

http://www.interactive-media-design.com

I changed it a bit more though...

Paul
  • farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks everyone,

roje0913: umm......aviation is also reflected, have a look again.

spoof: yes, i agree the previous design was not that good. Will wait for your review.

Penguin: which version of msie? i am using 8 (beta) so cannot see anything.

I shall check it at browser shots later

Please keep dropping your reviews.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also get the error in FF, Is anyone else getting this. I am using IE 7
  • farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

YES i found the error

Any way how i can rectify this???
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Without looking at your source i really would not know, What exactly is it?
  • hancock0
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hancock0

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the site is well done the colors flow well it simple and not all crammed together. Nice content.
  • farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin wrote:
Without looking at your source i really would not know, What exactly is it?

Well then just hit ctrl+u......

Thanks in advance 8)
  • Jorge05r
  • Jorge05r

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would personally just work a little bit more on the structure of the site making it more organized, but the site overall looks good, simple, great choice of colors and clean.
  • farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

I fixed the IE7 error
Please visit AE again and post your feedback
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I finally found some time to sit down and take a good look at this. I like the front page, theres not much I can say about it, besides the navigation. Some of the text is being pushed off the tabs, I'm not sure how much control you have over this but that might be something to look at.

On the theory (and some others) I would suggest not centering your text. Also possibly giving your list a margin on the left to move it in a little might get rid of some of that white space.

If you want to give your tables a border, I would suggest change the colors of it. The default table colors don't look that great. In FF they are dark, and in IE they are light. I would suggest giving them the same look by put a style on the tables.

You should be a list on the Manufacturers page, also the centering.

You changed your font color after the first page. I really like the blue, I might suggest using the green for all your links. Also on the theory page, the link to home doesn't work. Its being directed towards a local file on the pc.

You might want to see if you can use the style on the smallbox for all of your tables. It would pull the entire web page together. If you can't figure out how to do it you can head over to the web design forum and someone is bound to help you.

Over all, looks awesome :iconthumbleft: !
  • farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Over all, looks awesome :iconthumbleft: !

Thanks a ton, this was needed

I rectified the link error.

I am in the process of implimenting your other suggestions. Thanks
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site looks great, but on the image of the plane, I think the edges need a rounded border or at least a stroke, it just looks out of place.
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, your site design looks uniform and works in Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 8 Beta, Opera 9, Maxthon 2, Netscape 9, Firefox 2, and Firefox 3 Beta. There in one small issue with Safari 3 Beta For Windows - the blue area around the green search box (at the top of the page) is uneven - slightly higher than the rest of the blue bar. Also, in Internet Explorer 6, the bar falls apart entirely. I took a couple of screenshots so you can see what I'm talking about:

Now, when looked at in Lynx or a screen reader you run into some bumps in your navigation bar, as well as in a few other places, the worst spot being the "Aircraft Data" page, which falls completely apart. This is based completely on your use of lists all over the place. In the text/read versions, you end up with tons of bullets all lined up without any content attached, and other bullets with more than one item attached to them. You need to do some major reworking with your lists to clean it up. I would start with the navigation bar, as people will see it first, but definitely get the Aircraft Data page after that. (Obviously, this won't effect all of your visitors, but it rips up your site for anybody using a screen reader.)

Now, moving past the individual browsers - your code needs a little clean up. Your CSS is valid, but you've got 49 errors in your (X)HTML. Mostly you just need to close a bunch of tags, and remove your extra closing "head" tag. General clean-up stuff.

Now for the design itself: I like the overall look quite a bit - it's very clean, easy to navigate, and overall pretty good looking. Just a few little things:

I'm not sure I like the boxes in the sidebar - they don't really seem necessary, and the upper one comes a bit too close for the search box's green area, so it looks a bit cramped. I'd try using a simple vertical dividing line between the sidebar and main content. This could just be me.

The centred text doesn't really fit - keep it left-aligned . Also, you seem to switch between blue text on the main page, and green text on the other pages, which looks a bit off (I believe SpooF mentioned all that).

The navigation bar - despite looking good - has two issues: 1) The word "Manufacturers" doesn't quite fit on it's button. (SpooF mentioned that too.) 2) No matter which page you are on, the link for the home page is highlighted (and the word home is in blue and underlined), rather than button for the page you are on.

Lastly, I'd do something about the tables. Maybe remove the borders altogether? Your design seems to work very well with white-space, (the navigation bar and logo are the only really "weighty" places in the design - the rest is very light) and using border-less tables would allow you to maximize your white-space - a big plus for your look, in my opinion (this is also part of why I'm not so sure about the sidebar boxes - without them, you would have more white space).

So, to sum it up: A little bit of code clean-up to get yourself valid and fix up your lists for text browsers/screen reader; a few tweaks to the navigation bar; make the text more uniform; and clean up your tables.

Overall, I really like your design - a little clean up, and it'll be fantastic. Keep it up!
  • farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Hob,

Quote:
No matter which page you are on, the link for the home page is highlighted (and the word home is in blue and underlined), rather than button for the page you are on.

I have started to change this. Theory Page: http://aviationearth.com/Theory.html

This will take some time.

I will also increase the space for manufacturers.
Will also fix the HTML errors

Thanks for the lovely review.
  • farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do keep posting!
  • mantisa
  • Born
  • Born
  • mantisa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice and easy design. But the text is too small.
  • farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks!
Do keep posting!
  • farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

IF you have any other suggestions, do post them!
  • debob
  • debob

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm an aviation photographer for two popular aviation photo databases, which you're probably familiar with.

http://www.airliners.net and jetphotos.net

I hope you have the photographer's permission for all the photographs you have on there because if you don't, you will find that you may have a hefty fine waiting for you. Copyright infringement is a big deal and I guarantee you they won't be lenient.

Just a thought...
  • farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

debob,

i have taken permission from all photographers.

i have permission from two a.net photographers too.
  • debob
  • debob

Post 3+ Months Ago

farrhad wrote:
debob,

i have taken permission from all photographers.

i have permission from two a.net photographers too.

Cool, that's always good ;)
  • WebDon
  • WebDon

Post 3+ Months Ago

You site a clear and cut design and layout. Did you use Dreammweaver. I like how your site also has that web 2.0 look and feel. have you considered adding it to any social networks.
  • farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have used dreamweaver CS3.
I have added it to Facebook and stumble upon.
  • farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do keep dropping in your critique
  • farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do keep posting........
  • Cmp-Network
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

on this page below i think you should change the center table

http://aviationearth.com/AircraftManufacturers.html

like how you have it on your main index page the nice center table with the numbers the page table above looks a lil bland.

also the boarders are really thick on the following page

http://aviationearth.com/AircraftData.html
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 38 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers