SITE REVIEW: Avoidance of Doubt (whole new site)

• missy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: london

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi!

http://www.avoidanceofdoubt.com is now live. It's not entirely finished, hence the several 'coming soon' buttons...

I'd love to hear what you all think of it, and if you reviewed it the first time I rebuilt it, that goes double!

I'd also like to say thanks to everyone who has helped me out in the past month by responding to my urgent pleas and frequent ranting!

Ta, Webmistress Missy xx
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mic check
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mic check
  • Loc: US

Post 3+ Months Ago

But the site is awesome! I will pray for you daily. But it was sweet. If a darker red font where on the side bar I could probably read the terms better. But overall Im sure you know, the site is sweet. :shock:
  • Jpellizzi
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pretty sweet, the only thing that bothered me a little was the flashing aod's everywhere - i understand that its the name of the site, but they are pretty distracting...maybe if you slow them down a bit...
  • akdiver
  • akdiver

Post 3+ Months Ago

i agree with jpelezzi. they flash too quick. (lucky i dont have epilepsy :) )
I loved the intro it was mad.

the theme is well done with the background and text etc.

The only problem i have is the layout. Things dont seem to be in the center. I have to scroll everywhere to do anything. For example your intro was half way down the page. Still i like the site a bit creepy for a conservative type like myself but nice job.
  • missy
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow! thanks guys! :D

The flashing aods are little loading bar things. that means the flash pieces are still loading.

akdiver, could you possibly send me a screenshot of the 'aod' home page please? As that's exactly the problem I thought I might have, and I'm not sure how to fix it, as it looks fine on my computer, and on my friend's.
Ta, Missy

avoidanceofdoubt@gmail.com
  • Mall23
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pretty scary site (theme-wise)! I like the nav where the flame comes up when you leave your mouse cursor in the same spot for a second.

My only real issue with it is that I do not like frames. If you're going to do a full-on Flash site, do the whole thing as a one piece Flash. Horiz and vert centered, for 800x600 resolution.

Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure. :oops:
  • missy
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm, what's wrong with having them seperately? They're all in a layout table, I was warned against frames.
If they're all in 1 lump, the seperate effects won't work, and it'll take a year to load!

Also, is everyone able to listen to the songs ok? (releases page)
They are streamed, but some people are getting an error message.

Ta! Missy x
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Loc: George Mason University

Post 3+ Months Ago

Songs work fine for me Missy. I like the site, although a tad bit on the dark side for me.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the song but the load time is a bit long for the flash intro and for a video like that its just a whole lot of nothing.

But i do like the fire effect that follows the mouse.

the site is good for a band site.

Good job :-D
  • Mall23
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

missy wrote:
hmm, what's wrong with having them seperately? They're all in a layout table, I was warned against frames.
If they're all in 1 lump, the seperate effects won't work, and it'll take a year to load!

Also, is everyone able to listen to the songs ok? (releases page)
They are streamed, but some people are getting an error message.

Ta! Missy x

Sorry about that...why did I think it was in frames?

Anyhow, what you say about the load times sounds logical. I guess I'm used to all Flash sites all in a little 800x600 box...you know the type.

What kind of music is it? Genre?
  • RossOliver
  • RossOliver

Post 3+ Months Ago

The design is nice - you go the theme related to your website content working perfectly together.

My only beef is the slow load time - im on 1mbit broadband and it took forever to load up...

Nice work overall though :)

-Ross
  • missy
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey thanks guys!

Yay! :D

Galleries going up later...

Missy xx
  • Mephistox
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Mephistox

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is one sick intro.

Only gripe I have is that its alittle hard to navigate, otherwise, its one amazing site
  • steven420
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • steven420

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOW!! I thought thie site was amazing. :shock:
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Loc: George Mason University

Post 3+ Months Ago

steven420 wrote:
WOW!! I thought thie site was amazing. :shock:

Look Missy......I found your number 1 fan!!!
  • xaphalanx
  • xaphalanx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Intricate design. Not sure if it works. Had no idea what to do on your splash page. But I admit I'm biased - don't care for the subject.
  • missy
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

So the AOD site has been updated again, new look, a new front page, RSS feeds, new galleries, new media player....

Please check it out and let me know what you think.

Feedback I've had so far is that the site loads pretty slowly on anything less that 1MB broadband. Any other comments or nitpicks greatfully recieved!

Ta, Missy xx

http://www.avoidanceofdoubt.com
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Typo alert: "RSS2 Postst"

Wow. It's very.. goth. =] I generally take issue with sites that are red on black or black on red; they're overly reminiscent of the early days of the web. Still, you make it look pretty good.

My chief complaint is that your MP3 player is not above the fold. I run at 1600x1200, and I still have to scroll vertically to see the player. So anyone who happens across your site will be subjected to unsolicited music without the blatantly obvious option of pausing it. Since your domain name doesn't make your content apparent, this could be problematic for people who come across the site at work.

Otherwise, I think you've done quite a nice job of customising a WordPress blog.

Good luck with the site!

- Gita
  • khleomi
  • Born
  • Born
  • khleomi
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

I absolutely love it! But it does seem to be on the slow side when loading up... what they say about the intro is true, it absolutely blew me away... :wink:
  • gulfofmex
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site is....interesting. I do like how you put a lot of time into making, the end result looks pretty good. If I would change one thing, I would make the entire site the same. Like on the "believers" page you have the links and stuff on the side of the page, and on the home page it's just blank. Nice site though, kinda scared me at first, but nice :shock: :shock:
  • alexmos
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Europe, RO

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice design... not for me though :roll:
  • ramone_johnny
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ramone_johnny
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site took over 1 minute to load on dial up. I closed it before the homepage even finished loading.

RJ

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers