• No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi...i haven´t seen all this topics (but i read your first post :) :)
I have one or tree sugestions:
reduce the logo size...because original is 367x212 and in the site is 175x100
This background is not working very well since it´s beeing too streched!And try to make the same in both sides and bottom (i would recomend doing new backgroud images with a bit of black too:
If you just want a feather all around something like this:

Slices....

If you want a drop shadow:

ps:this are just examples.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont have any idea what I would put on the right side of the window. Could you show me these layouts in HTML so I could see hwo they look?
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very quickly and not perfect (only html)..but it´s just to exemplify:
http://xamix.paginas.sapo.pt/example.html
you don´t have ti put nothing...just add the border.
  • Bidera
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Bidera

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to say for a personal site, it is not that bad.

Saw a few jokes, I hadn't read before. :)

And I have to admire your persistance in attempting to improve the site.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, two new reviews!

I am trying to get it a bit past the 'personal website' stage. Have you tried IsMyWebsite or Exploring Azoundria?

I dont know about the new design. It doesn't look good in high resolution monitors and really low ones. If it was not a fixed size, it would be better.

Also a white background does not go well with it and with all blue it looks like theres a lot of wasted space.

Improve the design and I might use it. With my curent design you appear to be the only one commenting on it.
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azoundria wrote:
I dont know about the new design. It doesn't look good in high resolution monitors and really low ones. If it was not a fixed size, it would be better.

Also a white background does not go well with it and with all blue it looks like theres a lot of wasted space.

Improve the design and I might use it. With my curent design you appear to be the only one commenting on it.

That was for me?
If it was...
That was only an example for the shadows...so i didn´t care about backround,etc
There´s a way you can make it extend both wide and height (making exactly the same thing that i´ve made on the sides (making a backgroud like this one both for the top and the bottom.

cumpz
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had my design like this before. I run into a problem in the bottom left and right corners in IE. It likes to add a gap there.

I don't know about changing the design. I had this before and I gave everyone a vote and they voted for my current design.

I dont know how your design is too much better than the one I have currently. Can you tell me?
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow its been a long time(5 months) and a lot changed. I would still appreciate any review I can get.
  • atDesign
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • atDesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just thought I should give you a review, since you joined my site. :D

I'm not a big fan of using WordArt; the pictures on your site are a little boring. Same with the colors. I'd try to add some other color, like an orange for links or something like that to grab the users attention.

You've got a lot of content, though. Good luck!
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The links already turn gold on mouse over. Are you saying you think they should automatically be orange and turn to a lighter shade when you move the mouse over them?
  • atDesign
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • atDesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Something like that. I'd just think you should use more color. See what a secondary color and "opposite" color are on the color wheel. :D

By the way, my programmer is going to send you an e-mail in a minute. He has a couple questions.
  • chitownsfinest424
  • chitownsfinest424

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is just my opinion.. but i think the top left corner is a little to plain. i like ur logo in the top right but the plain welcome... should be a little more eye catching
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

atDesign:
I know both colour wheels for light and paint. The opposite of blue is yellow or orange depending if you use the colour wheel for light or paint. That's why my logo is yellow and the links on mouse over are gold.

I also looked into the feelings colours give you and designed based on the prosperity or blue, the mystery of black, and the warmth of yellow.

Ok I got and answered the email from your programmer. It was just about my suggestions.

chitownsfinest424:
I would agree with that. Would a font help with it? If so, what font would you suggest? If I coloured it? The problem is it needs to contrast with both the blue and if the title is longer it needs to contrast with the yellow of the logo as well. I could pick:
Red - I think this a bit too attention grabbing but depending on the shade...
Light Gold - Might not contrast well enough with yellow for readability or it could be mistaken for white in some cases
Green - No
Cyan - Good but might look like a link and wont really stand out enough
Brown - Maybe? But brown is a dirty colour.
Grey - No
So then I am stuck between Red and Light Gold. Not sure what to pick.
  • chitownsfinest424
  • chitownsfinest424

Post 3+ Months Ago

lemme take another look
  • chitownsfinest424
  • chitownsfinest424

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea i think a nice golden color would do well to serve ur welcome thing , if u use photoshop i would consider making in a separate picture and fooling around with some cool affects
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hows that? (look at the title now)

Do you think I should change the font? I think Arial is great for text but too plain for titles. In exploring Azoundria I use Times New Roman for the title and Arial for the main text. I was thinking maybe Typewriter Text <tt>?

Sorry although I could create a graphic for the main welcome thing it's easier just to leave it as text like all the other sections are. This way it's all the same and I can change things much easier. Besides I don't have photoshop anyways. I created the logo on PowerPoint and took a screenshot into Paint.

But maybe I can create a cool effect without an image editor? Any ideas?
  • duke_m
  • Born
  • Born
  • duke_m
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well sir,practically I feel that the site is quite basic. I am new to it all too but this is too much immature. The fonts are nothing attractive and so is the layout of the site. Maybe I dont like it coz I am a flash designer and I like graphics and heavy pitures and other stuff.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I need to find an attractive font then. For the title only or for everything?

And how can I make the site more attractive and less basic/immature? I don't know flash and I want people to still be able to access my site without it. How would I incorporate 'heavy pictures'?

What should I do to the layout to make it better? I still want blue and black with white and yellow for the links and text. Is there something I can do that is more attractive than this layout? If I removed the right menu bar would it be better? What about putting just a header and a footer wth the menu in the header?

Or is it just something I should do with the main content?
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a small update. I am now using a <tt> tag on the title and it seems to create a nice effect. What do you think?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The text in the white boxes on link http://s11.invisionfree.com/Azoundria/index.php?act=site are white. The skin of that page also doesn't match up with the skin of Azoundria.

Also out of curiosity I went to stories and clicked "I do not agree" and I got whatever it is on this link http://www.azoundria.com/story/noagree.php the skin doesn't seem to agree with Azoundria.

I also advice you to make each chapter of the chapter book in different page. Like for Chapter 1 you have it's page, then for chapter 2 you have another page, and links at the bottom saying.."Jump to chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..." That would make for easy navigation, and short pages. Because I learned (Through Experience) that short pages are what makes the people into the attitude of reading the page, or just looking or skimming through it. (Obviously it is prefferably that the page is read through. Also just as a note, long paragraphs like this one gives readers bad attitudes toward reading the long paragraph.

I don't know if this is your fault or not, but the "IsMyWeb" doesn't match your skin. Probably it's either impossible for you to change the skin, or you didn't get to it.

You can't see the joke numbers in the iFrame of Derek's Jokes. The URL is...http://www.azoundria.com/jokes/dereks.php

I have to comment on the jokes. Their kinda funny :D . But I would want to know when I have finished reading one joke and started another. I'll suggest that you label your jokes, and/or put them in a table with varies colers. Like for instance that you have the 1st joke. It's in the blue table or div, and then the 2nd joke is on the darkblue table or div, and then on the 3rd one its on a blue table or div, and so on. Just a suggestion.

Is http://www.azoundria.com/exploring/index.php supposes to be of this skin? Just wondering. :)

On the "Chatter" page, and the Creat a Chatter, you have to click "Back" about
three times to get back to the previouse page. Why? Or is it just me?

I think that the Homework Help doesn't help kids who are searching for information in doing their homework, but great job on linking to other sites!

For http://www.azoundria.com/happyland/index.php I would advice you to organize the maps in pages, rather than having one page for the whole thing. Many people would look through the maps that are closer to the top of the page, and not the bottom. Better to have TEN maps per page. That would make about EIGHT pages.

Once again I advice you to make pages for the games too. Prefferable the most played and the most rated once on the first pages. Prefferably TEN games per pages. That would make about TWELVE pages.

So as to not to give all of the pages, I would advice you to put TEN things per page on pages that list things like games, jokes, Whatever. Just a suggestion. :)

I have to comment on your forum. It's nice. Better than I could have ever done. :D

Nice links. Just as a suggestion. How about Cabbot and Costallo on your comedy? They made the Whos on First, it's a very funny comedy stript. Cabbot and Costallo even got to a Baseball Hall of Fame just for making that comedy strip up, and they have never played in Baseball! The link is... http://www.phoenix5.org/humor/WhoOnFirst.html. Such a funny. I almost peed myself. HAHAHAHA :D

Nice Contacts Page. Mostly people just have their address written on the Contacts Page because they are too lazy to put up the forms. Nice community going there!

Overall I think that your site is a very great and neatly layed out. Also probably a lot of planning took place to make that site.

All of the above are suggestions and advice and other notices that I have noticed about your site. No criticism was planned on you :D :D :D
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firstly thanks for the very thorough examination. This is a big help to my site. This is the model of a proper review!

Quote:
The text in the white boxes on link http://s11.invisionfree.com/Azoundria/i ... p?act=site are white. The skin of that page also doesn't match up with the skin of Azoundria.

Firstly, I would like to say I did not build the forum. It is hosted on InvisionFree for free and I use InvisionFree because it works wonderfully, is almost fully customizable, and the only disadvantages are the google ad and the URL. Unfortunately it seems this page does not use the skin I set in the settings, but I did fix the white boxes.

Quote:
Also out of curiosity I went to stories and clicked "I do not agree" and I got whatever it is on this link http://www.azoundria.com/story/noagree.php the skin doesn't seem to agree with Azoundria.

Thanks for pointing this out. Fixed.

Quote:
I don't know if this is your fault or not, but the "IsMyWeb" doesn't match your skin. Probably it's either impossible for you to change the skin, or you didn't get to it.

Quote:
Is http://www.azoundria.com/exploring/index.php supposes to be of this skin? Just wondering. Smile

Both of these are deliberately changed. I found that the main Azoundria skin does not seem to fit with a text-game theme or the professional look I was going for with IsMyWebsite.

Quote:
On the "Chatter" page, and the Creat a Chatter, you have to click "Back" about
three times to get back to the previouse page. Why? Or is it just me?

This is because the chatter uses screen refresh inside a frameset to display messages. I am just recently learning AJAX so the most complicated thing I could do involved just HTML, PHP, and Javascript. Your best bet is to just use the menu after visiting this page.

And thats all for today folks! (The rest will be answered later. )
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I also advice you to make each chapter of the chapter book in different page. Like for Chapter 1 you have it's page, then for chapter 2 you have another page, and links at the bottom saying.."Jump to chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..." That would make for easy navigation, and short pages. Because I learned (Through Experience) that short pages are what makes the people into the attitude of reading the page, or just looking or skimming through it. (Obviously it is prefferably that the page is read through. Also just as a note, long paragraphs like this one gives readers bad attitudes toward reading the long paragraph.

I seperated the chapters but left an option to show all of them just in case... It definitely makes me want to read them more than I did before.

Quote:
I think that the Homework Help doesn't help kids who are searching for information in doing their homework, but great job on linking to other sites!

Yes I know. Its not much. But I just dont have the heart to get rid of it or the time to make it a proud section.

Quote:
For http://www.azoundria.com/happyland/index.php I would advice you to organize the maps in pages, rather than having one page for the whole thing. Many people would look through the maps that are closer to the top of the page, and not the bottom. Better to have TEN maps per page. That would make about EIGHT pages.

There was a link there in the top section to go to the new maps section, which I am still developing. It allows you to sort and rank maps, but not put them into pages. I was thinking about this but it doesn't seem to be much point. From my own experience viewing things on pages, later items get less attention then they would if it were just a list with everything visible.

I also looked at it from the perspective of load time. I see no advantage here either. Although it takes longer to load a giant page, you only have to do it once. And most browsers let the user scroll around while the page is still loading.

And the reason you gave me with the chapters doesn't work here either. When there's a list of games or maps or levels or something fun, having more usually makes people more likely to read and look through things.

But if there's something I missed, feel free to try and convince me otherwise.

Quote:
Once again I advice you to make pages for the games too. Prefferable the most played and the most rated once on the first pages. Prefferably TEN games per pages. That would make about TWELVE pages.

With regards to pages, see the previous answer. With regards to ranks and everything I am planning to upgrade the section once I am finished with Happyland Maps.

Quote:
Nice links. Just as a suggestion. How about Cabbot and Costallo on your comedy? They made the Whos on First, it's a very funny comedy stript. Cabbot and Costallo even got to a Baseball Hall of Fame just for making that comedy strip up, and they have never played in Baseball! The link is... http://www.phoenix5.org/humor/WhoOnFirst.html. Such a funny. I almost peed myself. HAHAHAHA Very Happy

Added... but I dont get is it Cabbot or Abbot?

Quote:
Nice Contacts Page. Mostly people just have their address written on the Contacts Page because they are too lazy to put up the forms. Nice community going there!

Thats just how much user opinions matter to me. I also answer every single email sent to me(with the exception of someone who was abusing the form before). Unfortunately I still don't get enough input through email.

Quote:
Overall I think that your site is a very great and neatly layed out. Also probably a lot of planning took place to make that site.

All of the above are suggestions and advice and other notices that I have noticed about your site. No criticism was planned on you Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Don't worry about the criticism. Without it how could I improve?
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was wondering, as I just changed my design around, if my site could at all be improved or anyone had any suggestions.

http://www.azoundria.com/welcome.php

Kind of just spill your thoughts as you load my page and explore the site.

My old design had this problem where your eyes got stuck in the top right corner and it was difficult to drag them away, which I think I fixed. I also made the design more similiar in all resolutions and browsers, so it should look good everywhere I think.

Thanks in advance.
  • xalixo
  • xalixo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hullo.
I dono how your original design looked but I dont think this one is so bad. Although my only concern is in the color. That blue can really get get to ones eyes especially at night.
  • marian
  • marian

Post 3+ Months Ago

xalixo wrote:
Hullo.
I dono how your original design looked but I dont think this one is so bad. Although my only concern is in the color. That blue can really get get to ones eyes especially at night.

I didn't mind the blue, it was the white on black that got to my eyes. Put me off exploring.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Woah, I had to squint to read the writing! You need to tone down that blue background, its way over powering.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please don't start a new topic if you already have one going for your site. If you need helping finding it, just notify a mod and he'll find it for you.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wasnt sure whether it was better to resurrect the old topic or start a new one.

Now to figure out what is disliked. Is it the blue colour or the white text - or both?

And if it's the blue colour how can I change it to be less overpowering? Tone it down as in make it darker or lighter? If I change the shade somewhat?

The white text could be toned down some. Is this a given or is there anyone who thinks it wouldn't help anything?

If it's not too much trouble would you mind stating whether you are using a bright or dark monitor, and a high or low resolution setting?

I hope I still get replies... I had so much trouble before getting people to reply to such a big topic.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 209 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers