SITE REVIEW: My Banner Maker V2

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there Ozzu(ers|ians). I've recently completely redeveloped my most popular site. While it isn't completely finished, it has gone live and is considered relatively stable.

That said, if you notice any quirks or bugs please let me know. I'll love you forever if you tell me what's causing it too. I've left most of the HTML and JavaScript uncompressed for now so that it's readable to you for this reason.

I'd really like feedback on the user-interface including how intuitive it is and how it could be altered to provide more power without increasing complexity or how it could be simplified. Any other suggestions are welcome as well, of course.

Without further adieu: http://www.mybannermaker.com/

Last minute notes: The upgrade/sign-in page is a broken like right this minute. The page needs a fixed height to avoid quirks when changing tabs. I need a way to display all of the options in the same screen as the banner on 1024x768 without giving 800x600 users the boot. :)
  • webia
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webia
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

V2 huh?
First of all, it loads terribly slow on a 3 mb connection.
I think it took more than 10 seconds.

The design, look and feel is ok, probably thanks to that lemon color, which is good for me.

The hide me / show me feature is also ok, but it is not useful if it doesn`t stay that way if I leave the page, go to contact, and get back to the home page.

I just tested the development environment of the banner, which also works well, it is easy so that almost anyone could create a banner.

hmmm, quoted from your own website, bolded:

Quote:
a) In General.— Any person who violates section 1201 or 1202 willfully and for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain—

(1) shall be fined not more than $500,000 or imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both, for the first offense; and
(2) shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned for not more than 10 years, or both, for any subsequent offense.

If anyone will get scared it won`t be the ones who use the website for the purpose of gaining money, it will be the ones that use it to create a banner because they can`t do it with other tools. In other words, the ones that will be 90% of your visitors, because pros probably won`t use the tool you have.

So with this approach, you`ll probably end with a no visitors website. Just remove it. If you want you can add a little line somewhere over there or in a terms page, you can not use this tool for financial gain.

What you did there, doesn`t look professional at all.

Hopefully, you don`t have a header that sais: "If you do not visit this site each day, we got your IP and we`ll find you to bill you $500 per not visited day"

Great tool, but the approach and presentation SUX.
Sorry if I`m to hursh, but it`s the truth.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Eh, did you even read that page? In the paragraph above it explained that the site is copyrighted. The reason for the notice is because V1 of the site was copied all over the place by those crappy myspace generator websites. I guess that's hard to believe if you run a website with no traffic.

It probably loads terribly slow due to the fact that you're in Romania. I suppose if you visited any other site hosted in America it'd probably take quite some time to load as well considering their is a considerable distance for the data to travel...latency should be around 150-200. The site is roughly 250kb of data and it's in a datacenter where I can use 8Mbit/s. It takes me 3 seconds to load.

The approach and presentation is great. Don't be bitter. Sorry I'm so harsh, but it's the truth.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
That said, if you notice any quirks or bugs please let me know. I'll love you forever if you tell me what's causing it too. I've left most of the HTML and JavaScript uncompressed for now so that it's readable to you for this reason.

Quote:
The approach and presentation is great. Don't be bitter. Sorry I'm so harsh, but it's the truth.

Oh, well in that case, you don't need anymore reviews do you dickhead ?

You know a thing or two about the technical aspects of webdesign, I'll give you that, but you should seriously consider having a girlfriend, or somone who is less of a dickhead handle your public relations unless there's absolutely no reason why anyone other than you can speak on a matter.

By the way, there's somthing causing Opera & Firefox to spike in CPU usage for prolonged periods of time.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha I am a dickhead when people don't read the paragraph above and below the one that they copy and critique.

There is extensive use of JavaScript to initialize all of the sliders and color pickers etc that executes when the document is ready. This could be what you are seeing spike your CPU usage. I'd appreciate it if you could define "prolonged" in a bit more finite sense so I can determine whether I need to look at another way of handling that stuff or not.

Thanks.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, the things you have to put up with to not be considered a dickhead theese days are rediculas, but that's the way it is.

Prolonged as in untill I closed the tab the page was in.
It happened after modifying everything, & I noticed it when switching between the effects & save tabs.
No idea what I did to make it happen.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mind shedding some light on what your hardware is like? And are you using Windows, Mac, *Nix?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh, best part is, your ads pop myspace scripts & layout harvesters.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would be nice to see the ads come out of the middle of the friggin application. And one other thing I noticed...

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/6127 ... 601ps9.gif

"This image removed due to high-bandwidth usage."
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Web Page Speed Report

URL: http://www.mybannermaker.com/
Title: Banner Maker - Create Banners and Myspace Extended Network Banners
Date: Report run on Wed Mar 21 18:34:14CDT2007

Total HTTP Requests: 76
Total Size: 232558 bytes

Download Times*
Connection Rate Download Time
14.4K 195.44 seconds
28.8K 105.32 seconds
33.6K 92.45 seconds
56K 61.55 seconds
ISDN 128K 29.39 seconds
T1 1.44Mbps 16.43 seconds

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analysis and Recommendations

* TOTAL_HTML - Congratulations, the total number of HTML files on this page (including the main HTML file) is 1 which most browsers can multithread. Minimizing HTTP requests is key for web site optimization.

* TOTAL_OBJECTS - Warning! The total number of objects on this page is 76 - consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your external objects. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.

* TOTAL_IMAGES - Warning! The total number of images on this page is 65 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your graphics. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.

* TOTAL_CSS - Congratulations, the total number of external CSS files on this page is 2 . Because external CSS files must be in the HEAD of your HTML document, they must load first before any BODY content displays. Although they are cached, CSS files slow down the initial display of your page.

* TOTAL_SIZE - Warning! The total size of this page is 232558 bytes, which will load in 61.55 seconds on a 56Kbps modem. Consider reducing total page size to less than 30K to achieve sub eight second response times on 56K connections. Pages over 100K exceed most attention thresholds at 56Kbps, even with feedback. Consider contacting us about our optimization services.

* TOTAL_SCRIPT - Warning! The total number of external script files on this page is 8 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your external script files. Ideally you should have one (or even embed scripts for high-traffic pages) on your pages.

* HTML_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of this HTML file is 4931 bytes, which less than 20K. Assuming that you specify the HEIGHT and WIDTH of your images, this size allows your page to display content in well under 8 seconds, the average time users are willing to wait for a page to display without feedback.

* IMAGES_SIZE - Warning! The total size of your images is 148547 bytes, which is over 30K. Consider optimizing your images for size, combining them, and replacing graphic rollovers with CSS.

* SCRIPT_SIZE - Warning! The total size of external your scripts is 73934 bytes, which is over 8K. Consider optimizing your scripts for size, combining them, and using compression where appropriate for any scripts placed in the HEAD of your documents.

* CSS_SIZE - Caution. The total size of your external CSS is 5146 bytes, which is above 4080 bytes and less than 8K. For external files, try to keep them less than 1160 bytes to fit within one higher-speed TCP-IP packet (or an approximate multiple thereof). Consider optimizing your CSS and eliminating features to reduce this to a more reasonable size.

* MULTIM_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of all your external multimedia files is 0 bytes, which is less than 4K.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah the ads are targeted at the people who visit the site. ;)

They are in the middle because that's where they'll get the most consideration. I'm considering moving them above the preview.

The ImageShack image has been replaced.

I'm aware the size of the page is larger than websiteoptimization.com thinks it should be, though it really can't take the fact that you're making an image into account. Thanks though.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the site ... maybe just preload the rollover images, because some people don't know that the image is still loading in the background and then they can't see the pretty lime green backrounds of the buttons ...
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went to your website, but it is takes too long to load.

This is a big problem. Remember there are a lot of people all over the world that might not have the fastest internet connection. It will also be wise to optimize your graphic design so that people with mobile phones and pdas can have quick access to your site
  • Musical frog
  • Musical frog

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like this tool, maybe there's stuff out there like this but this is the first time I've seen a banner maker. Its very useful, I like it. The site is very well laid out too and it is easy to navigate from place to place like to the forum and all. I don't really care for how the forum is set up but that's just my opinion. Anyway cool site, if I ever need a banner I know where to go ;-)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers