SITE REVIEW: Basketball Cipher

• anytime
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • anytime

Post 3+ Months Ago

What are your likes and dislikes and what can I do to make it more appealing?
http://www.basketballcipher.com
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

All I get is a parked domain page...
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, firstly the W3C Validator found 94 errors on that page which is not good ... you can click here to see them now ...

I don't know anything about basketball, so I'm not going to comment on the actual content ...

On the treeview in the right hand side, you can add some rollovers to the menu (there are on the sub-links already), like adding rollovers to "2007(2)" and "June(2)" ...

Further than that, I'm not a fan of blogs at all ... so I don't have much to add ...
  • anytime
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • anytime

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
All I get is a parked domain page...

I was redoing the domains so that it would work with or without the www. It should be perfect now.
  • anytime
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • anytime

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
Well, firstly the W3C Validator found 94 errors on that page which is not good ... you can click here to see them now ...

I don't know anything about basketball, so I'm not going to comment on the actual content ...

On the treeview in the right hand side, you can add some rollovers to the menu (there are on the sub-links already), like adding rollovers to "2007(2)" and "June(2)" ...

Further than that, I'm not a fan of blogs at all ... so I don't have much to add ...

LOL. I knew some attached web designer(s) was going to come in here and hate on blogs. But I want go there. On another note, I've actually had a year of web mastery and I noticed those errors in code myself when I was trying to figure out the issue with the hosting ads being shown on the home page only, when it's a basketball site (guessing it's the host), but I left those errors alone. I'm not sure if I could fix them to be honest, unless I move the template to my domain's host, which is something I don't want to do. The blogger template has a mind of it's own. I noticed this when it changed a perfect code that I had inserted myself. The code still worked but it was different than what I had inserted.

Question- How bad could it really be if the templates came like that? I've done the validator on many other blogs and they all had 3-5 times more errors in code than mine. Also, how crucial is this? How big of a problem could it be?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

No it's not major, I just like to design sites that are validated for the following 2 reasons: (I'm sure there are more)
    -Under strict validation, you are almost certain that the site will display the same in all browsers...
    -When the site is validated you know that search engines will see everything in your site (maybe they miss stuff because of a missing </head> tag for example)

That to me is important, now I don't know how keen you are on getting your site all the way to the top in google etc ... but that'd be just a little boost ...

And on the blogs story, it's not that I totally hate them, you usually get some very good information on blogs ... and it's probably a good way for some newbies to get "their own" little website going ... it just bothers me that they all look the same ... I like websites to be unique ...
  • boostinghits
  • boostinghits
  • Loc: Newcastle UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

its too dark for me

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers