SITE REVIEW: Before-Reality.net [updated 2/2/04 22:15]

• The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

That looks pretty sweet. You said the clock would be keeping track of time though?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

of course, but those are all just images right now.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a bit of a demo page up, the clock is working, except some of my images are doubled, and I am missing some, (thats what I get for talking on AIM and doing that at the same time). So I have to go back through and figure out which ones are missing. Let me know what you think!

http://bro.acgcny.com/concept/contest.php
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recommend that you preload all the images you are using for the clock. The reason I say that is for the first minute that the clock is ticking every second the browser loads a new image, which cause the hourglass on the mouse to show up. It also cause the text on the bottom to show up to say what image it is downloading. Kind of tacky. Anyway if you preload all the images you need for the clock when the page loads you shouldn't have that problem. You might have to research how to preload images using JavaScript if you do not know how.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

They didn't preload for you :-/

It didn't preload for me either..rats what did I do wrong!?

This is what I have to write the preloaded (no way I was going to do it by hand)

Code: [ Select ]
    <?
    foreach (glob("clock/minutes/*.gif") as $fn) {
        $fnn = str_replace('clock/minutes/', '', $fn);
        $fnn = str_replace('.gif', '', $fnn);
        echo ('image' . $fnn . '= new Image(111,111);' . "\n");
        echo ('image' . $fnn . '.src = "clock/minutes/' . $fn . '";' . "\n");
    }
    foreach (glob("clock/hours/*.gif") as $fn) {
        $fnn = str_replace('clock/hours/', '', $fn);
        $fnn = str_replace('.gif', '', $fnn);
        echo ('image' . $fnn . '= new Image(111,111);' . "\n");
        echo ('image' . $fnn . '.src = "clock/minutes/' . $fn . '";' . "\n");
    }
    ?>
  1.     <?
  2.     foreach (glob("clock/minutes/*.gif") as $fn) {
  3.         $fnn = str_replace('clock/minutes/', '', $fn);
  4.         $fnn = str_replace('.gif', '', $fnn);
  5.         echo ('image' . $fnn . '= new Image(111,111);' . "\n");
  6.         echo ('image' . $fnn . '.src = "clock/minutes/' . $fn . '";' . "\n");
  7.     }
  8.     foreach (glob("clock/hours/*.gif") as $fn) {
  9.         $fnn = str_replace('clock/hours/', '', $fn);
  10.         $fnn = str_replace('.gif', '', $fnn);
  11.         echo ('image' . $fnn . '= new Image(111,111);' . "\n");
  12.         echo ('image' . $fnn . '.src = "clock/minutes/' . $fn . '";' . "\n");
  13.     }
  14.     ?>

//Do I have to write it out inorder for it to work?

I figured it out as I was writing hopefully, I was refencing the trimed filename (less the imporant */*/ and .gif) in my php script, hopefully it works better now! (darn host is slow again.)
-------
ARG! I was actually wrong about that, I was referencing the untrimmed version with the */*/ so it was actualy going to */*/*/*/*.gif
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have to preload the images with JavaScript. You cannot do it with PHP because PHP is not running on the client. JavaScript is, and that is what you are using to make your clock tick and to call the images each second.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh I think I have it working now, I wrote that bit so I wouldn't have to write out the script for 60 images.
  • tierra
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

damn, that's pretty good!

I'm not a fan of Javascript, but that's some nifty work!
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks a lot, next step will be the php for setting/stopping the alarm!
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you all could please take a look here:

I was wondering what you all thought of the importance of the seconds hand (please vote above!).

The reason I ask, is because in order for there to be a seconds hand, it needs to preload 72 .5kb images before the pages starts. I know that 36kb isn't a lot for a normal image, but having to parse 146 lines of javascript before the page loads takes very long for 36kb (page loads in about 5-10 seconds on a cable modem).

So basically here is the rundown:
With Seconds:
5-10 second load
146 lines of JS need to be parsed
Better clock

Without Seconds:
>2 seconds to load
No preloading JS
Kinda boring clock
http://bro.acgcny.com/concept/contest2.php

So let me know what you think, if 5-10 seconds works, I'd like to keep it there, but if it is too long, let me know.
  • tierra
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks like the server is fast enough to pass out the images... but if you were to get a lot more graphics or content on there, it might be better to go without the seconds hand... I also noticed it's something that can be cached, but it still has to make the requests for it on every page to check if it's updated.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah once I added a link in there the second page loaded a lot faster. I'll see if it gets boggy later down the road, for now it will stay though!
  • sc@rface
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

im digging the mouse over, i like the colors and creativity with tables, i checked your coding out, at 1st i thought it was an iframe, very nice usage of javascript
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Meh

Nego ~ The Linux Supervilen
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

meh?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats my fav word
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shooting for a fast load, and standards, I have made a new layout that relies solely on CSS and no images thus far.

What do you guys think?

http://triad.acgcny.com
  • slick69
  • slick69

Post 3+ Months Ago

tighten up the header a bit, seemed fuzzy
S.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gee thanks for the...um...review?.... Well anyways it is just a font, so it will not look any different no mater how big the spacing is between letters.

But thanks........I think...I'll have to reflect upon that and get back to you....

(PS. This review will not count towards your three reviews for a website. Thanks for trying though!)
  • slick69
  • slick69

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats all i thought was needed, sorry i didnt know you wanted us to slam it, that was my criticism and thought that was all that was needed to improve site, i could be real anal and just make stuff up, was fine looking site just needed to tighten it up a bit, im just a fan of clear, crisp images, at least brighten the colors up a bit where it says "before reality occurs" dont take any of this the wrong way.
S.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

B_heyer -- you're on the right path.

HTML is for structure
CSS is for appearance.

Good direction to be in.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you could really spice this page up with some more graphics and a better laid out index. It's a very good start tho.

The currently working pages, and the in the works pages boxes might better go next to each other one on either side.

The "Home" text would look better as an image file. It looks very plain as text.

My opinion has always been "If you havent made it, dont link to it!" ... Noone wants to wander around a half finished site, so pack your tools away until your ready for them to be linked from the main menu :D

It viewed well in my IE 800x600 :thumbsup:
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

whoops! I think you two (musik and slick) are looking at the wrong page...

this is the "new" address:

http://triad.acgcny.com

ATNO - I love css, I also love what the page looks like without it, fascinating!
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

We are looking at the address thats in your original review on the first post.. in that case scrap my review - wrong page.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello again everyone, just wondering what you all think of the new layout (yes it's been around for a while). As well as the image headers (randomized). I plan to get some more photos to go up there, so you can always have a fresh view of the page.

Let me know what you all think :-D

http://before-reality.net
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Honey, they say blue and green should never be seen, but I think they look cool together! :thumbsup:

Your really coming along with your design :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it (the concept) ...but that particular shade of green doesn't do it for me. I'm also not overly fond of the white-on-green (at least not that shade of green -- forest green...maybe). And I have never been a fan of Times New Roman. It just looks "typed". But I do like the concept in general. I also love your graphic. I think you're almost there. Don't take my color critique too hard...that's just my view of it.
  • s][ren
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Lehigh Valley

Post 3+ Months Ago

I liked the layout of the site, only thing I found, but very minut... the mouse over on the "archives" link disappears because it fades to the same green that the bar is. Other than that the site is very minimalistic, and I think it fits. Also I think there should be more header imges to scroll through... There are only two now that I can see, I liked the idea that it changes, but there should be more. Overall I like it.
-Ted :D
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik: thank you! :-D I've been trying to get some content up but want my structure to be sound.

ATNO/TW:I'll experiment with a few colors of green in a little bit and get back to you on that, I agree it is a LITTLE to intense. As for the font, that is my fault, I haven't updated my font families lately and...*checks over css* actually it is set up to Courier New right now, thats a lot more typish then TNR. I need to update my families for *nix/windows compatibility but haven't got around to it completely (have done the title's).

S][ren: I know the site doesn't contain much now, like I said before, need to structure first. The archives link is a css blooper, and happened when I changed the navi link colors. I'll fix that along with the font-families. I just came up with the idea for multiple images when I posted so I haven't had time to take more photos (thinking extreme panoramic is tricky :-P).

Thanks everyone! I'll get back when I get another major update done.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 59 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers