SITE REVIEW: Belgrade Botanical Garden

• celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay guys, here goes - you know what to do with it :D

two caveats - one, yes I know the logo graphic in the top right corner is a disaster. it's a scan from a business card - I had to use something.... they will send me a proper vector logo and it will replace the pixelly mess you now see. so please no comments about the quality of the logo image :D

two - as you can see, most of the content is still missing, the thing is full of lorem ipsum and it really only has textual content - images, maps etc will come later. this is just the skeleton... also, I know it's all in Foreign... sorry 'bout that...

what I'm most interested in is how quickly it loads - so anyone out there with dial-up or any sort of slow connection, tell me if the banners are too heavy? I'm loath to push their quality down further because they're already on the edge, but if they take forever to load I'll have to do something...

of course any other comments are welcome!

oh and no I didn't do any cross-browser checking yet, so any news on weird reactions in different browsers more than welcome.....
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love it completely instantly. The color and designs, but the words I can't read.

The logo top right is fine with me.
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Sydney, Ozland.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firstly, I think the colour combination is great but I can't help but feel the page is just "floating" I don't know how to quite explain what I mean.. its like just sitting in the middle of no where, it doesn't really have an end or a frame so to speak. I think perhaps give it a frame, similar to the styled box you have used for the menu, and make the frame join to the header and then round off under all the text. I feel it will particularly help on pages like this where there seems to be alot of text. Other then that I think it looks really pretty, and it loads fast for me :D
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Varying banner images for the win!

Good colors, good spacing, good everything. Wish I had more to say, but, well, I don't.

I approve of this production.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting color scheme. Very spring and flowery which is befitting for a botanical garden I would say.

I think you did a nice job with the different images for the banner.

I did keep finding myself looking for some kind of further or site credits/copyright info but other than that I would say it looks great.

*It could be that it's there, I just don't understand the language.

Great work.
  • oskillzzo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • oskillzzo

Post 3+ Months Ago

very nice. i like the layout. simple and gets the job done. i wish i could read it though lol but the layout is real smooth
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys :D

@Divinyl - I know what you mean about the frame, I'll try to incorporate one somehow but I need to find a way to introduce it really gently, cuz I really like the airiness of the page... I'll see how it goes.

@Merlyn - you're right, there's no copyright info yet, as this is still only an alpha.... I'll add it to the footer at some point, hopefully along with my little 'celandine web design' banner, if they don't mind having it there....

@R_T, who gave some advice outside this thread - I tried and tried to introduce different shades between the rollover and the 'current page' on both navs, but it just looked really really wrong whichever shade I picked.... I'm still open to the idea though - if you find a color you think might work I'll try it out :D

anyhow many thanks guys once again - I'll reawaken the thread once I have a final version!
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Er, not thanks to me? :scratchhead:
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

of course thanks to you george :D sorry, I thought the 'thanks guys' kinda covered everyone who left a review :D I only wrote individual mentions to answer specific points people raised - not really to thank them separately..........

that said, let me say it once again - I'm fundamentally grateful to all of you. I really feel at home here..... I feel like I can talk about anything with you guys. (warning - this post carries a soppiness factor of 7 - these are dangerous soppiness levels for all sop-sensitive individuals...)
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay, I've introduced my first ever ever functioning bit of PHP and given the thing rotating banners..... pretty sweet, eh?

thanks to joebert for making this one work.... thankyou thankyou!! :D
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

zdravo!

Links at bottom (from english index):
About - http://www.celandinewebdesign.com/aboutcelandine.html - should be http://www.celandinewebdesign.com/about ... ne_en.html
Portfolio - http://www.celandinewebdesign.com/celan ... folio.html should be http://www.celandinewebdesign.com/celan ... io_en.html
Order Online - http://www.celandinewebdesign.com/orderonline.html is a 404 - and not a custom one :(
The rest work fine :)

The menu on the left of the About pages (both language) are shifted a few pixels from the other pages.

Beautiful design - and it's simple to navigate. Could the banner be a link to the homepage?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

zdravo :D i see what happened now - I changed the index file to php and forgot to update the link above... so what you found was my portfolio site - and yeah, that needs a complete facelift. but it's not the subject of this thread.... i've fixed the link above now - can you take another look?
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whoops - my bad :)

The site linked above is perfect - I love the design, everything just works.
I wish I could read & understand it!

One thing I might change, on the pages with large amounts of text - perhaps just scroll the text (span/div?) rather than the whole page - keeping the header at the top?

Also the title on all the pages is the same - is that going to change from "Botanicka basta Beograda - Jevremovac - splash screen"?

Do you want to put a copyright/designer tag anywhere? I can't tell if there is already, but it would look ok at the bottom of all the pages.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh thanks :D glad you like....

I'll think about the scrolling, that may be a really good idea actually. the title, the meta, the copyright - all of that will come later.... there is no content yet, this is merely an alpha stage I wanted to put up to show the people I'm working for how it would work before they decided on what they want to put into it... so it will all come in at some point.

thanks so much for your help guys - I'll post the final version once it's done....
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have a javascript error in FF2*

"MM_preloadImages is not defined" when you try to load it as part of the body function :(

Cheers, Prime... :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers