SITE REVIEW: Best reDesign?

• NetzzJD
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • NetzzJD
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,
I manage a small news/media website and we have considered redesigning it for some time now. I have come to two final layouts for the new look and would like some input on which one you like most. Either would be a drastic change and improvement for our current site but both are very different in terms of user interaction. Please let me know which you prefer and why. Thanks,

(I have removed all ads and branding for identities sake)

Design #1: http://www.netzzjd.com/design1.jpg

Design #2: http://www.netzzjd.com/design2.jpg
  • nleesee
  • Born
  • Born
  • nleesee

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think to increase your click through traffic on your ads you should try to make them look more like an information article. Its hard to tell because you blanked it out but they don't look like anything I would inadvertantly click on.
  • karinca
  • Student
  • Student
  • karinca

Post 3+ Months Ago

its too late to say something about your designs i know but i want to say something firstly ,your first design looks good but its complicated than the second design, second design looks better than the first one but in the second one on the vertical navigation menu you create shadows , it looks unsweet for me,would you remove, or improve it? and your vertical navigation menu is very narrow. in the second design you will put a white background , it will be better than now. and you will use some color .
good luck;
  • Kyle_Lirette
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well. This is just my opinion here. But I think it's a bit too boxy, and uninteresting, I know I wouldn't come back to a site with that design.
  • topskater
  • topskater

Post 3+ Months Ago

its okay, but i think you should add a few more colours and i also agree with kyle here :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it a matter of opinion on voting over which one is better, I like the second one better, but I don't like the fact that on both of those designs there is an advertisement that is on top. Anything that is on top says that that piece of information is important. Are the ads really more important then the main content?
  • Alexey
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Alexey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definatley the first one (design1.jpg). However you need more active colors. Its a bit dead, most the news are anyway bad ;), change the colors to something not so shaded.
  • NetzzJD
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • NetzzJD
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the all the comments, they are very useful.

there were a few mentions of the color schemes; im not quite sure what would be better, "more active" colors? is there too much white space? not enough contrast? too few different colors?

bogey: yes, unfortunately, the ads are considered by management to be a high priority. "Sell, Sell, Sell!". I do agree with your statement, but; I do not have control over certain aspects of the page. im sure many understand...

kyle: boxy? definitely. I think I've been focused on providing a distinct separation between the different sections to notice that. you think rounded corners would solve some of it or its more of a content layout issue?

also, another major issue im concerned with is the navigation choice. On design #1 the nav is at the top within several categories which open up links directly under the tabs (similar to drop-down). The design #2 reveals every single item/page we have within our site on the left-side.

My opinion is that the drop-down takes up way less space, looks more professional, and provides the same functionality. But the entire listed navigation cuts off 200 pixels horizontally on every page (still using 800x600), will force a lot of vertical scrolling, and may confuse visitors more than it would help.

Which do you feel most people would prefer?

Thanks again for all the help and keep those comments coming!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers