SITE REVIEW: BIG MUSIC REVIEW UPDATE

• mic check
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mic check
  • Loc: US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have done many changes according to your reviews. let me know what you think.
http://www.microphonecheck.net
  • farmer_Tom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • farmer_Tom
  • Loc: Oaklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like a pretty cool site with some pretty neat songs. Check your opening page though, it still says "Coming Soon". I would also check your images, one doesn't seem to be loading right. Use vertical Google ads with a navy blue background and white text, it will go better with your page. Nice job with the rollover images on the navigation, though. That interactive chat sounds cool, its on all the new sites. Looks like your site's off on a great beat! ;)
  • vortex
  • Student
  • Student
  • vortex
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks really good for a start, looks like you need to work on the menu buttons a bit but the site looks good
vortex
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

You said dont be shy, soooo....here are my top 10 recommendations in the order I recognized them:

1) come up with a more creative splash image if you must have a front page
2) Lose the ticker, it's not informative, & destracting
3) There is no definite color scheme to your site...choose some complimentaries from the color wheel & use those.
4) your background is horrendous...especially the left section, & emphasizes the frames look, which is a bad design idea in the first place...not to mention its obvious where it repeats (look parallel to the bottom of the google search)
5) Your alignment of items in Firefox is off...you have elements overlapping each other
6) Your add page to favorites /recommend this site icons were poorly transformed into a transparent background, & need redoing, and repositioning.
7) You mispelled micro in your banner image, which needs more innovative creativity put into it, & needs to be larger if it's going to be the main eye-draw of your site, which it is as of right now, because everything else is so dark
8) You content under 'week of' is unlabeled, making it hard to decipher clearly what it is when you enter the page...for that matter, the entire intent of the page is unclear. One should be able to determine your intent within 3-5 seconds or you will lose visitors.
9) While link groups have their place, dumping them all at the bottom of your page gets you ugly results...not to mention they all stick out like sore thumbs as they are bright, and your page is dark.
10) lose the counter...you don't want people to see your hits until you get a larger number, do you? And when you do, make it small & text based...that image doesn't follow your site's theme.

And one freebie) I'm as patriotic as the next, but your 9/11 icon is out of place & out of context. If you're going to fly my flag, do it justice...please.
  • blastphemy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blastphemy
  • Loc: U.K

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate to say it but it hurts my eyes something rotten. If this is your first site, well done you've got it up and running ;) - but as the previous poster recommended - I'd immediately get some consistent colour scheme going on at the very least.
  • vortex
  • Student
  • Student
  • vortex

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,, again
You may think of adding a Click here button on the intro page, the first time I went to the site I had no idea there was more to it then just a intro.
vortex
  • blastphemy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blastphemy
  • Loc: U.K

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry - I should have added that the ideas behind your site are great :)
Just the colour scheme is losing it for me. The menu is also not working quite right but a very good effort - you've got the ability and now it's down to practise :shock: hehe what fun :)
  • mic check
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mic check

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keep Em Commin. Anybody got any ideas to pull a better wow effect. You know with my first page I wouldnt know anything about that.
  • vortex
  • Student
  • Student
  • vortex

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, You may think about adding some sound to the site, maybey add some flash at the top.
just a thought...
looks good though, keep it up and don't stop
peace
vortex
  • PokerSpider
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok here a encourage from me:)

Im as you a newbie in the "game"..Satarted creating my own for the first time abouth 1.5 mnth ago 8) Know how hard it is to learn abouth everything in a "flash"...well in my oppinion you are on a good start....though i do agree with some of the well ment coments of the abowe more skilled masters :) But you just have to keep up the good work and go on with the fun and exitement that this "game" gives you/us :lol: here are 3 tips from another newbie

1...Be critical on your first html programer/editor...i guess you use some "whatyouseeiswhatyouget" program of a kind ,and there are many out there,,,but i got stuck with the one i think is the best for all newcomers due to my trying of everyone out there..can give you the name if you post a message to me abouth it..(the prog is free trialed but realy cheap if u want full pack)and im no comercial man of them just got theye name :lol:
2..try new things all the time, and dont be afraid to do many changes(and mistakes,,,wisitors probably wont be that many in the start anyway:)

3...You have to keep it up:) i like the intensions of your sit and i got some friends i my self are gona like put out some demos with one a music page im constructing....and i realy would like to go back to your site a coming day and see if i can learn something more,,,because i did take a tip or 2 from you 2 :D :D

Peace from the pokerspider
  • edawg
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good site for your first attempt!!, I agree with the others, and don't much like the Background ,as well as the intro section. but other than that you did great!! , it ain't easy for us newbies ah!! :D ,keep up the good work!!!.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Topic has been unlocked. You may resume your reviews.
  • mic check
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mic check

Post 3+ Months Ago

Background tips and flash please
  • Robert Tetenman
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

The idea and concept for the site is good but I have to say that between the checkerboard background, red text and links and content scattered about the page I find it to be a bit cluttered and hard on the eyes. Also, you have red text and links that are red and although I can distinguish I know that many people can not as easily and it is a bit confusing when text and links share the same colors.

I would not worry about adding things as much as cleaning up and working on color scheme a bit. Flash and sound are nice but they will not make this site better without a better and cleaner design first.

My 2 cents.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok..i'm going to be honest with you because that's always the best thing to do for a newbie, not like i'm a pro but I'm intermediate.

Site Critique:
Professional - no it's not nearly that because the content seems to be all over the place and nothing seems to fit with each other. The site basically looks like content fighting for space.

Creative - No, it's not because it doesn't have a layout design to it and even if it doesn't that won't matter but there's no design structure of any sort. T

Original - Yes, it is. You did it to your preference and to your liking but I'd just like to offer some advice/my opinions.

Lose the background, it's more annoying that nice. If you can't design, tables with colors works wonders. Try to make everything fit in place, aesthetic is really what you should aim for.

Avoid using stretched images...they shout NEWBIE (no offence). It would look better if everything is centered. And why not place the google ads somewhere at the top of the site instead of the bottom. I hardly notice it there but the reason could be because of how you have everything sorted.

Overall, it's a good attempt. Hope I wasn't too harsh.
  • vortex
  • Student
  • Student
  • vortex

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I would like to add my input here if I can,
I think that you need to drop the words in your flash and just leave the two turning (whatcha callets) or replace the words with something other then the sites url, you have it there in big letters anyway so there is no need to have it in the flash intro other then that the intro page it ok.
As with the sites pages, you really need to organize the content, it would make it easyer for people to follow what you are trying to acomplish on your site ( think simple) when you edit.
I think you should remove the button outlines on the right, keep the rollovers.
Please keep working at it...... I love to see progress
PEACE
  • mic check
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mic check

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think its comming around. Let me know
  • vortex
  • Student
  • Student
  • vortex

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello,
The site is really starting to come around there, just a few things that I think would really add to the design.
It would be nice if you could blind the main logo in with the background.
and I would change the black background to maybe a light color of blue maybe or a silver type box layout to go along with the buttons.
I don't know how much control you have over the layout but I would define the page layout more.

Keep it up!!
Vortex
  • mic check
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mic check

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanx alot Vortex. I was really starting to lose sight of my site
  • mic check
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mic check

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check the site for more critiques :P

• PremTech
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • PremTech
  • Loc: Toowoomba Queensland Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

My 2c Worth

a few things here...this is my opinion

the site seems to have no layout structure - elemnts are all over the place and it looks a little slapped together .

The google adds seem to take over the whole page as well, maybe they would be better at the bottom...after all your visitors are there to see your site not to have adds shoved in their face....(Google adds - My pet hate)

I would like to see a defined left column and a content colum to give some space between your links and the content.

also to tone down the blue background a tad....it is extremely hard to focus on your page...

Well hope this helps ...keep goin and have fun with it

cheers
Wazza
  • mic check
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mic check

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have added some new features to the site. I hope it is easier on the eyes for yous guys. Thanx :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers