SITE REVIEW: Big Splash Web Design

• BigSplashWebDesign
  • BigSplashWebDesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please review my new site. http://www.bigsplashwebdesign.com. I am still filling in the content but the layout and navigation are mostly finished. Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's a nasty blue-line gap between your header and the stuff below it - right above the line that says "SEARCH ON OUR SITE". Your "SEARCH" button is also way to tall - it's causing blocking.

I don't like the alternating colours on Big Splash Web Design - it looks amateur and unprofessional - you might as well just stick the blink tag on your page and disable your email account, as nobodies going to be trying to get ahold of you. Change the font colour to yellow exclusively, or keep it white and add some type of contrasting to it so it stands out (drop shadow, outer glow, etc).

Also, I clicked a link following your recent work - which you should seriously consider opening in a new window. I ended up on Information Technology News Blog, where the background image for the header (the white and grey lines) are set in a repeating pattern but don't align due to poor cropping. Back to your site, now.

The overall layout is alright, but you've got about an inch of unused space on the right side of the yellow nav bar. Try condensing the yellow nav bar a bit and using that room to pad your main content.

If you could set some type of cookie to not have that navigation menu zoom in everytime your clients would be greatly appreciative.

And oh yeah, you've got 56 errors in your HTML. It's not that big of a deal, but at least fix the ALT tags.

Kudos on adding text links in the footer to compliment your nav header - many people forget that bots can't read flash.
  • Cmp-Network
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Web Design site or Travel Vacation site?

Its kinda bright in that aspect (colors and backgrounds) it might throw people off a bit thinking its a vacation travel site.
  • BigSplashWebDesign
  • BigSplashWebDesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. Neksus, are you using Firefox? That blue line only shows up in FF. It's caused by a Float issue with the Sidebar on the right but I don't know how to get rid of it. Any ideas?

Also, I redid the layout to take better advantage of the space on the right.

The recent work Flash slideshow is set to open in a new window (_blank) but that obviously doesn't work. Thanks for the help. Anything else you have would be appreciated too.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

First isolate where the colour is coming from - background color, table bg color, image, etc. Once you've got that it should be an easy process of closing the gap.
  • sevefan
  • Loc: Croatia

Post 3+ Months Ago

what i like is blue/yellow color sheme and favicon
i don't like to fast moving clouds

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers