SITE REVIEW: Blackmagic Lounge

• soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey this is a site I'm participating in doing. It's an online local community. Not much of it here in Guyana. So anyways DepthVision is working on it and I'd like to know what you guys think of it. It's still a work in progress but the main is up. Most of the links go to the forum since that is the whole idea but anyways check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.blackmagic-lounge.com/index.php
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a really good site. What impressed me is that the dark theme not only works well, but it suits the domain name. The only suggestions I'll toss in are with regard to the menu's in the header, under directory and under the member area. They desperately need rollover effects. Especially the directory items. Also, for the directory image, the hover over link extends right to the ends of the border, it should really only be linked when you're over the text itself and maybe a little outside it.

Anyway the rest of the index is great. Now clicking one of the links, the whole theme changes to black and red (in the forums). It actually looks good, but its almost like I'm visiting another site. But to be honest, it works, normally I'd be against such a shift but both the themes fit the site and look good. Its a great site.
  • Taylor Hewitt
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the lobby page but the links are all broken.

The skin looks familiar other than the banner.

Way too many forums.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks 4 comments...i'll let u know when it's done.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

It loads pretty slow. Try turning some of those less detailed images into GIF format so they are smaller. Take index_02.jpg and make it 1px wide and make it repeat across the top.

The blue text on a blue BG isn't doing it for me. Try making it a different shade of blue or maybe white so it is easier to read as well!
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

great design. Best to have the contents pushed up and omit the big .gif on the home page.

Good luck!
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you in Guyana??? Is that site from there???
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea i am and yeah it is.
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is so cool! Never met someone from Guyana! :)
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice and easy on the eyes good job.

I'd suggest putting an intro paragraph as the first thing viewers see upon entering your site, I'm not sure exactly what the site is about.

I would have to agree with daremedy. You need to add some more life to your site, it's pretty flat right now. A mouseover effect would be a start.

Few broken links, remember if your site isn't fully completed either hide the unfinished areas or don't publish at all. Otherwise it gives the impression of unprofessionalism.

Under the Help menu, your titles are in a much smaller font than the descriptions underneath them. I'd do it the other way around.

Link to your jvs externally, it will help your site load faster. Also your code will be cleaner.

You forgot your meta description tag.

Missing alt tags on images.

But otherwise, good job. I can't review anymore as there is an extensive amount of broken links.
  • underpressure
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello and good day to all
As an admin for The Black Magic Lounge I would like to explain a few things about Black Magic and its current status

first of all the name was inspired by the Carlos Santana song Black Magic Woman - the theme of the site is that of a Night Club where Guyanese can go to spend time and hangout (LOUNGE)
As well as those who wish to spend time getting to know Guyana and Guyanese

Secondly the site is still being constructed hence the broken tags

We all work and use our spare time building this site time hence the slow rate of development (started December 22nd)

And thirdly I sincerely thank all of you for your kind words and input I can assure you we are paying attention to what has been said and encourage you to continue doing so

http://www.blackmagic-lounge.com

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers