SITE REVIEW: Blissful-Rose.com

• Goddess_of_song
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: I don't even know that one

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.blissful-rose.com

Okay this is basically a fan art site for several movies. Please tell me if the site accomplishes these things:

Does the homepage encourage you to explore the site?
Is the navigation clear and easy to understand and see?
Are the graphics pleasant and interesting?
Does it look tacky?
What do you think of the art?
What is you're first impression of the website?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• heh3d
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • heh3d
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a lot of trouble reading the black text against the dark red background. Maybe lighten the text up a bit.
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Goddess_of_song wrote:

Sorry to be rude , but no. The colors of the site are too dark and most user dont like to browse sites which are not pleasing to eyes. So changing background color would be a good idea. If you like lighter purple shades , then try using them instead.
Goddess_of_song wrote:

No. The navigation should be in a lighter color since its hard to see on purple. You could have it as white. Besides adding spaces between them would help you a lot.
Goddess_of_song wrote:

Yes, the graphics looks amazing and the header looks quite good too.
Goddess_of_song wrote:
Does it look tacky?

Yes , a bit . Try aligning the site a bit . the shout box looks out of place.
Goddess_of_song wrote:

The art and the graphics both a amazing. It looks that someone had dedicated time and effort to the arts. Although i have viewed only few of them.
Goddess_of_song wrote:

It looks okay , but the dark purple thing really annoyed me. I could hardly browse and my eyes hurt if i look at it for few more minutes. But you have put a lot of effort , try improving the draw backs and you will do fine . Best of luck !
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not in the least. It all seems thrown together with an oddly placed tagboard and an embedded music file (ew). Black and red do go together, but the red is far too dark; I suggest using a lighter font, or a lighter shade of red (but not too bright). Add a little more content describing the site. Place the "I am not associated with..." message in a more uniform position; namely, below the tagboard and other content, possibly with a horizontal rule to seperate it. The updates could stand out a bit more, so as to say, "here I am, read me, I tell you what has been done!" As it is, it inspires no confidence to read it.

Quite the contrary, actually. Aside from being too dark a font and difficult to read in that respect, they are also grouped up as if one big sentence. It's also difficult to tell that they are links in the first place; they do not distinguish themselves in any way from the rest of the text, save for the underline, and do not have any style on hover. Seperate them better, and add a :hover state (also :active) to change the color and/or remove the underline, and possibly change the color of all links.

The graphics are pleasant, but I don't find them all too interesting. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe any and all graphics need be pleasing, they just need to work. In your case, aside from the text in the banner being difficult to read, it matches the rest of the page.

Does it look tacky?

Unfortunately, yes, I believe it does. It seems there is very little content, and doesn't seem to be very expandable (I could be wrong). In essence, there are only two colors. While two colors can work, the colors you have chosen do not. I'd suggest making the page a bit lighter.

This may sound cold, but, being the PS "professional" (not really professional, but I'm more of a perfectionist), I find it difficult to enjoy most fan art. It reminds me of DeviantART -- it's not terrible, per se, but I see little to no purpose in it.

The backgrounds are fairly cool; they need not be spectacular. I see no purpose for the banners, and the avatars are, again, pretty neat, and also need not be spectacular. All said and done, I'd say it's all pretty average (don't get me wrong, that's not necessarily a bad thing).

An amateur attempt. Please don't make me out to be an arrogant person, but I have standards, and this site does not meet them (most of my own designs do not meet them). It is a typical fan site, minus the predisposed template (which, I might add, is a good thing; templates are overdone). I believe that you will learn from what you've done here, and improve. It's what we do. :)

As an addendum note, you have a good start. In essence:
- Remove the music.
- Improve the navigation and general anchors.
- Use a lighter text and/or background to make the text more readable.

(Also, I like your comments on the front page:
... praised God in heaven!
(Yeah I said praise God, don't like it? Tough.)

I respect that, being a Christian and all.)

!! Edit !!

Oh, and good luck with your novel! That's quite a task.
  • Goddess_of_song
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks very much for the critiques, the embedded music I admit is becoming annoying. And yes it is amatuer, I'm still a newbie when it comes to HTML and all that jazz. I'm doing a redocorating right now actually.
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Goddess_of_song wrote:
Thanks very much for the critiques, the embedded music I admit is becoming annoying. And yes it is amatuer, I'm still a newbie when it comes to HTML and all that jazz. I'm doing a redocorating right now actually.

Sounds good. Learning HTML and becoming proficient at it is one thing; using that proficiency in conjunction with ideal design is another. Just keep working at it.

If you have any quick questions about HTML or whatnot, you could try and contact me at ltdonahue89@comcast.net either by e-mail or MSN Messenger, or my seldomly used AIM, You Scare Kitteh.
  • Goddess_of_song
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanx! I redecorated it, the colors are still pretty dark but better than the wine color I had before. Also I'm going to take a class on photo art and whatnot so the graphics won't look so cheap
  • Quasimotor
  • Quasimotor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see some spelling mistakes, I make them too, and usually have others point them out. The content is a bit light, I would imagine people finding the page would need a better understanding of what your main goal is. The text is hard for me to read. The blue background is better than the red.
Jim
  • Goddess_of_song
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanx, sorry bout the content, I have a seriously low amount of liking for my art. Only reason I put up this site is becuase my friend begged me. I'm probably just gonna throw the art all on one page and put a blog and an editorials on it. Yeah I'm probably gonna do that
  • neuro
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • neuro

Post 3+ Months Ago

Goddess_of_song wrote:
www.blissful-rose.com

Okay this is basically a fan art site for several movies. Please tell me if the site accomplishes these things:

Does it look tacky?

The black text is a little small and hard to read. Also thers a lot of unused space.
  • Goddess_of_song
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

what do you mean unused space?
  • tolkein
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tolkein

Post 3+ Months Ago

Goddess_of_song wrote:
www.blissful-rose.com

Does it look tacky?

Ok, sorry if I sound a little harsh. My here are my answers:

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. The picture's ok but it takes a couple of seconds even on ADSL.
5. To put it in a nice way - there's a lot of room for improvement.

Additional comments:

1. The text and background color doesn't match - need more contrast.
2. Your navigation looks like one long continuous link.
3. I don't like the fonts. Would personally use Tahoma, size=2.
4. You should do something about the layout because it looks out of balance.
  • Goddess_of_song
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah I'm pretty aware of that. I'm trying to learn iframes and that's probably what I'm going to use. And I need help with making a proffessional looking photomerge (I use Photoshop CS) but I haven't had any luck.
  • Goddess_of_song
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have redecorated, this one I downloaded but it's still pretty cool
  • mic check
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mic check
  • Loc: US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice, Sure tears mine. Maybe bigger text?
  • blastphemy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blastphemy
  • Loc: U.K

Post 3+ Months Ago

The introduction page looks fantastic compared to the first time I took a peek - I couldn't make a useful comment at the time because you have some very helpful critics already.

The rose is lovely and it downloaded in my browser real quickly compared to before. My screen is 1024 x 768 if that's any use to you.

The layout and colour scheme is so much more inviting to me now .... I was easily tempted to explore your links - whereas before - I only explored them because it was a review site and I felt I HAD to make the effort.

It's looking great so far :)
  • blastphemy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blastphemy
  • Loc: U.K

Post 3+ Months Ago

blastphemy wrote:
The introduction page looks fantastic compared to the first time I took a peek - I couldn't make a useful comment at the time because you have some very helpful critics already.

The rose is lovely and it downloaded in my browser real quickly compared to before. My screen is 1024 x 768 if that's any use to you.

The layout and colour scheme is so much more inviting to me now .... I was easily tempted to explore your links - whereas before - I only explored them because it was a review thread and I felt I HAD to make the effort.

It's looking great so far :)
  • Goddess_of_song
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you! I'm workng on getting my blog up (I'm new to php) and I'm in the middle of writing some stories for it, I really love my new layout, it's taught me alot of CSS.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers