SITE REVIEW: Bloop.us.tt

• krok55
  • krok55

Post 3+ Months Ago

www.bloop.us.tt

This is my first site... i'm new to all what's related to site building and web design, so your critics is very important.

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• waffles
  • Student
  • Student
  • waffles

Post 3+ Months Ago

The banner is a bit hard to read. Consider lightening the colors if you're going to have the darker background.

I know how to scroll. And you've got the scrolling set way too fast on the site diary. Just set it up with a certain height and the overflow set to scroll. Then I can read at my own pace.

And I notice you've used frames. Yes, I know that in theory they're a good idea. But in reality, not so much. You can still keep it so that only the middle changes by using some floating divs and PHP includes. And it will make the site a lot more search engine friendly.
  • krok55
  • krok55

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot for your comments...
What you said about frames it makes me very curious, because i didn't use any frames at all... the middle section is updated by php includes just like you said. But i'm afraid that in different browsers, when overflow Occur, a scrolling bar may appear and that's not what i meant to happen. What browser are you using? and what effect did you see that make you believe that there are frames in that area?

Thanks.
  • panama64

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi krok,

I know that your site is still under development, but It's important to start with a bit more of contents (I think), I miss a bit more of information in your site.

In design area, they are two big gaps between the left and rigth boxes and the top menu, not look good. I guess you can also use other font style and some graphics for improve your look&feel, actually the site remember me the earlys days of internet.

good success!
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you view your source code your site is in a frame. It most liekly has to do with the way you have pointed to your websit from your registrar. If you forward the domain and mask the title and keywords, the site being pointed to is framed. Better you just change yoru nameservers to that of your host.

The "Bloop is finally online!" blurb is on every page, and takes up all of my 1024x768 display in FF. I almost didn't see the changed (different page) content until I scrolled down one your pages. You probably only need the "Bloop is finally online" blurb on your homepage.

I think you have to re-woird your 'About us' page. File sharing has never been illegal like you say. Users and people have been sharing files and data forever. It is only the illegal pirating and sharing of copyrighted material that was ever illegal. In fact these free file-sharing services you compare yourself to (i.e. rapidshare) breed the sharing of illegal material to this day. rapidshare have no way to police every single file that goes across its servers every second.

Your search function is messed up. I searched for "soccer" but was redirected to a page asking me if I needed hosting and/or dedicated servers. The back button would not take me back to your site either, I had to go back several pages in my history to stop being re-directed to this crappy hosting site. :x

In your 'About us' page you say that your search (when working ;)) will search for content on rapidshare. What is the point of that (if I interpretted it correctly)?

You have one review, which has been cut and pasted from imdb.com - if you want your site blacklisted by the SERPs for duplicating content then you are on the right track (heavy dose of sarcasm there).

Aesthetically, your site is very plain - you could use a better color scheme and logo.

From exploring what exists of your site, I am very confused as to what purpose it is going to serve. I think you need to work on determining this, then work on getting the parts under construction finished, and adding some style with good informational unique content.

Good luck.
  • krok55
  • krok55

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot guys...
I just downloaded FireFox and now i started to understand what you all saying...
The site does not look as i wanted!
It's going to take me some time to make this site look like in IE6 so in the mean time, please check my site with IE (if you can of-course)

Thanks a lot, and sorry for not checking it on FireFox before posting...
  • krok55
  • krok55

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi ulstermonkey, and thanks for reviewing my site...
As I mentioned before, the site is currently messed up on FF and i'm currently working to fix this. In the mean while, it would be nice if you could enter my site with IE.

Quote:
I think you have to re-woird your 'About us' page. File sharing has never been illegal like you say. Users and people have been sharing files and data forever. It is only the illegal pirating and sharing of copyrighted material that was ever illegal. In fact these free file-sharing services you compare yourself to (i.e. rapidshare) breed the sharing of illegal material to this day. rapidshare have no way to police every single file that goes across its servers every second.

You are absolutely right and i'm going to change the whole about us section very soon.

Quote:
Your search function is messed up. I searched for soccer but was redirected to a page askign me id I needed hosting and/or dedicated servers. The back button would not take me back to your site either, I had to go back several pages in my history to stop being re-directed to this crappy hosting site.

This works that way only on FireFox :( (it has something to do with my host policy regarding some words that appear on my site... this is solved on IE)

Quote:
You have one review, which has been cut and pasted from imdb.com - if you want your site blacklisted by the SERPs for duplicating content then you are on the right track (heavy dose of sarcasm there).

I didn't know that, but after you said I will remove this review right away (I put this review temporarely for illustrating how the site should look. This section will be filled only with my own reviews)

Quote:
Aesthetically, your site is very plain - you could use a better color scheme and logo.

Could you please be more specific about that? Is it the color combination or you just don't like those perticular colors?

Quote:
In your 'About us' page you say that your search (when working ) will search for content on rapidshare. What is the point of that (if I interpretted it correctly)?

The point here is the same as in every search engine - to find what you're looking for :) . Rapidshare doesn't have any search function, and that's the main point of my site - to implement one (I'm implementing my own crawler). With my site, you'll be able to search for any content shared on any of those servers. As far as i know, there is no other site that do the same (except from some warez forums that, as you know, are not legal and contain lots of unwanted content)

Quote:
From exploring what exists of your site, I am very confused as to what purpose it is going to serve. I think you need to work on determining this, then work on getting the parts under construction finished, and adding some style with good informational unique content.

I know that there is almost no content, and that's because the main porpuse of the site, is the search engine (which is working only on IE, for now :( )
Other content will be added as soon as I fix the FF view of my site.

I realy liked your review and I would like to see more reviews like this... This is very important for me, that you point everything that's looks wrong with this site (but for now, please check it only with IE6)
Thanks a lot.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

krok55 wrote:
I realy liked your review and I would like to see more reviews like this... This is very important for me, that you point everything that's looks wrong with this site.

Thank you - you were lucky I wrote anything at all seeing your 3 required reviews, for example:
That's may be a good start, but i think, that if you to get more visitors to your site, you should add more graphics to it because now, you have none.

Perhaps now that you experience how useful a more-than-two-line reivew is, you will in future be more helpful in reviews you give to others. But don't take this personally, there are lots of posters doing 3 crappy reviews to post their site here for review.

As a mere fellow user without mod status all I can do is try to lead by example, and hope others will follow suit. I'm not counting on it though.
  • krok55
  • krok55

Post 3+ Months Ago

The reason i wrote short reviews, is because I don't feel experienced enough with web design to write serious reviews. Besides, i didn't want that those people will fell like I'm telling them that A, B and C is wrong and then show my site with exact same issues (like happended here, for instance)

But i'll try to write more constructive reviews in the future.

P.S. I would still like to hear your opinion after seeing my site in IE (just point the things that your opinion about them has changed, if any)
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

The changes you have to make to have it run ok in FF may affect how it looks in IE (and vice-versa). I think your time would be best spent on that first, my "IE" review could end up being irrelevant, therefore I won't be doing one.

Besides, you have plenty to do as it is right now.
  • CheebaHawk
  • CheebaHawk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, well you got your site up, and you got here...so your off to a decent start. I do belive that you should work extremely hard on adding content to your site, before you worry about attracting users. Also there were alot of flashing banners and small adds that were distracting from your color scheme. Keep up the good work though :)
  • krok55
  • krok55

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is now possible to view with Mozilla FireFox 5.1 too (it wasn't easy though :) )
Please continue to post your comments here.. they are extremely important to me.
I noticed, that many of you are saying that there is not enough content right now. well, I aware of that and i'm working very hard right now to add some more content. But for now, i would really like to hear your comments/suggestions regarding the design and the search system (because this is what the site is all about after all)
Any practical suggestions are also very welcomed. (such as particular changes in the design that you may purpose)

Thanks a lot to everyone who posted here.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers