SITE REVIEW: Blue Rincon

• peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetings and Salutations:

After a lengthy hiatus I've returned to this forum seeking the helpful [constructive] criticism from its distinguished members. So without further adieu, please take a moment to review my E-Com site.

http://www.bluerincon.com/

Thank you all
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey man ... first things first ...
Quote:
• Global Positioning Systems • Garmin GPS • Mio GPS • Magellan GPS • Olypus Binoculars • Nikon Rangefinder • Swiss Gear • Wenzel • Camp Chef • Slumberjack • Gerber • Emergency Preparedness Kits • Eureka Tents • Wenger •

those words just feel so loose to me ... I'm not sure what they mean at first ... Just maybe put some text before that like "Hi and welcome to my new e-commerce site ... bla bla ... we offer the following:"

Then for me, I really don't like that light purple colour, but that's just my opinion, I checked with the w3c validator and you have no errors in your coding ... Good job.

Last thing ... that advertisement is to me too slap bang in the middle, it's sort of distracting, and I don't get to see the products that you offer because the ad is in the way and the products are way to low on the page ... That's about it for now ... I'll come back if I have anything to add.
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey righteous_trespaser,

Thanks for taking the time out to critique my site. I made a couple of changes, based on your suggestions. Thanks again.
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Addendum to the last post:

I mulled-over the merits of the flash "advertisement" in the middle and decided to keep it. I don't believe it is all that distracting.
  • webia
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webia
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
Hey man ... first things first ...
Quote:
• Global Positioning Systems • Garmin GPS • Mio GPS • Magellan GPS • Olypus Binoculars • Nikon Rangefinder • Swiss Gear • Wenzel • Camp Chef • Slumberjack • Gerber • Emergency Preparedness Kits • Eureka Tents • Wenger •

And listing tons of keywords won`t get you high on google.

$129 for a picture ? Are you insane ? Other website have lower subscriptions for unlimited downloads of thousands of pictures ?

That combination between purple and yellow is not so wise chosen. I navigated a while in the site, but really, I couldn`t find anything interesting. There are many other websites just like yours, but they are slightly different. They are well structured, developed, maintained, designed, and this gives them a professional look so that clients do not hesitate when buying. Your website is in the exact opposite corner.
  • webia
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webia
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

peterrod wrote:
Addendum to the last post:

I mulled-over the merits of the flash "advertisement" in the middle and decided to keep it. I don't believe it is all that distracting.

maby it isn`t. but what is its purpose? I mean, text comes and goes away in there on such a slow framerate that I must wait one minute to understand something or find out some valuable information. that flash is a total waste of space ! and it is on the center on the home page. The most important place of the entire site.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps instead of a flash image you could do 5 images or so that come up at random and send you to the actual product page for the product they are advertising. I think that if your going to use that much real estate it at least needs to get you deeper into the site.

As far as the header goes, I am not sure about the image of the skydivers. It needs some editing work to get it more integrated into the page. Another thing that would be cool is if the manufacturers images could take you to a page with all of their products listed.

The back ground needs a texture or color combination that draws your eye to the center window right now it is very flat feeling. If you are going to leave the center the same color as it is now you might want to try something a little darker.

Its important on an e-commerce site to use your space as wisely as possible. Try to sell with every pixel if possible (granted you still need whitespace).

I hope this is helpful.
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
And listing tons of keywords won`t get you high on google.

$129 for a picture ? Are you insane ? Other website have lower subscriptions for unlimited downloads of thousands of pictures ?

That combination between purple and yellow is not so wise chosen. I navigated a while in the site, but really, I couldn`t find anything interesting. There are many other websites just like yours, but they are slightly different. They are well structured, developed, maintained, designed, and this gives them a professional look so that clients do not hesitate when buying. Your website is in the exact opposite corner.

hey webia,

you have a lot of nerve slamming my site, especially when your own site looks like it was put together by a monkey. And what's with the 86 w3c validation errors reported on your lame site? Can't you code something as simple as HTML, or don't they teach that in euro-trash countries like romania?

The next time you critique another site, make sure you have your own site in order first, otherwise it makes you look like an idiot.
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

CXLink wrote:
Perhaps instead of a flash image you could do 5 images or so that come up at random and send you to the actual product page for the product they are advertising. I think that if your going to use that much real estate it at least needs to get you deeper into the site.

As far as the header goes, I am not sure about the image of the skydivers. It needs some editing work to get it more integrated into the page. Another thing that would be cool is if the manufacturers images could take you to a page with all of their products listed.

The back ground needs a texture or color combination that draws your eye to the center window right now it is very flat feeling. If you are going to leave the center the same color as it is now you might want to try something a little darker.

Its important on an e-commerce site to use your space as wisely as possible. Try to sell with every pixel if possible (granted you still need whitespace).

I hope this is helpful.

I appreciate you sincere critique. Unlike the supercilious remarks made by that neophyte who refers to himself as "webia," your suggestions were well thought-out and had merit.

I decided to remove the flash, since the consensus of this forum [regarding that flash] is not favorable. As for creating hotspots on the manufacturer's images, I like that suggestion...thanks
  • webcosmo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Boston, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

well few suggestions some visual, some prgramming issues.
- LOGOS
If you would make the logos same size would make it look nicer.
- Shopping Cart Error
This is what I tried. I added an item on the cart with quantity 1. On the shopping cart I wanted to update the quantity. NOT WITH A NUMBER, I put q there. It removed all items on the cart. It would be nicer of you would just show an error message entry not valid.
- I could not find a link on any pages for going to the shopping cart.

There is no default rule for visuals. Many successful ecom business sites looks aweful eg. zappos.com, shoebuy.com
Good job on programming though overall.
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

webcosmo wrote:
well few suggestions some visual, some prgramming issues.
- LOGOS
If you would make the logos same size would make it look nicer.
- Shopping Cart Error
This is what I tried. I added an item on the cart with quantity 1. On the shopping cart I wanted to update the quantity. NOT WITH A NUMBER, I put q there. It removed all items on the cart. It would be nicer of you would just show an error message entry not valid.
- I could not find a link on any pages for going to the shopping cart.

There is no default rule for visuals. Many successful ecom business sites looks aweful eg. zappos.com, shoebuy.com
Good job on programming though overall.

Your suggestion to make all the logos the same size is something that I had initially tried to do, but it didn't work out due to rendering issues; I may revisit that issue since I agree with you that it would look better if the logos where of the same dimensions.

As for the programming issue regarding the "quantity" bug, thanks for pointing that out. I will address that issue at a later time - no rush since I'm not expecting any visitors to my site to be horsing-around (except for perhaps that asshole webia).

Finally, I took care of the missing shopping cart link in response to your pointing that out.

Thanks
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay Yes! That is waaaaaaayyyyy better! Now the products are immediately visible and the colours look way more professional .... Excellente!
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

These images have a more icon look.
If you want them all you can get them here http://external.push-here.com/ozzu/bluer.zip
Also do you happen to have the full sky diver image you used in the header?

• peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
Okay Yes! That is waaaaaaayyyyy better! Now the products are immediately visible and the colours look way more professional .... Excellente!

Righteous_Trespasser:

Thanks for the suggestions and encouraging comments...That's what this forum is all about.
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

CXLink wrote:
These images have a more icon look.
If you want them all you can get them here http://external.push-here.com/ozzu/bluer.zip
Also do you happen to have the full sky diver image you used in the header?

CXLink:

Don't know how you did it, and I'm afraid to ask for fear you might have to kill if you told me :D ...great job, and thank you.

Here's the link to the skydive image:

http://www.variacom.com/images/skydive.jpg
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I couldn't really get what I wanted with that image so I grabbed another one.

I was thinking something like this.

Let me know what you think.
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

CXLink wrote:
Yeah I couldn't really get what I wanted with that image so I grabbed another one.

I was thinking something like this.

Let me know what you think.

I like it, a lot. That's decent of you to do that...let me know how I can return the favor.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers