SITE REVIEW: Blue Rincon

• peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would particularly appreciate feedback from the seasoned pros; nevertheless, comments from the peanut gallery are just as welcomed :D - provided they're thought-through and to the point...please refrain from nitpicking; even Microsoft can't pass W3C Validation.

Mostly interested in comments relating to layout and content. Here's the site in question:

http://www.bluerincon.com

Thank you All
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol, Microsoft wouldn't care ... I doubt they even try to ... there are plenty of sites out there that manage to do it :P

To your website (but nitpicking is by far what I'm best at)!

I like the simplicity, and it's a pretty good layout if you've only done a couple before ... please hit me if my presumptions are wrong.

I like how it actually states what the website is about rather than leaving it to the user to figure it out. One thing though ... splash pages really annoy me, and the fact that you've placed the 'enter' link down the bottom (I have to scroll the tiniest bit to see the rest of it) is a bit 'bleh', if you know what I mean.

You might also want to improve the images ... you're probably trying to show real people and not just some photoshopped models, but the quality of the photography is amatuerish.

The logo at the top is a bit bland, and looks dated ... though one shouldn't over-do it with effects.

One question: What does the favicon have to do with the website?

Into the source we go, and lookie there - tables. While they were popular several years ago, they are old and it would be far better expanding your CSS to more than just defining text styles. Divs are much simpler and clean up the source quite a bit.

You might want to include keywords and a description in with the other meta stuff you have up the top, for SEO reasons.

Another question: Does 'Blue Rincon' actually mean anything ... or more to the point, anything to do with the mind and body connection?

Before I click the 'Enter' link, might say "good on you" for having the markup and CSS validate.

Now, into the main page, it seems.

I had to check if I was still on your website, for the design is quite different ... not a good sign.

Now this is a template for sure ... I don't know if you've read anything I've said before, but I hate templates. I really would enjoy tearing in apart, but I don't see the point.

The lines through the logo are a bit 'iffy', and hurt my eyes rather than aid them.

The design is rather standard, but good in a way as there's not much clutter - not enough oompf for my liking though ... it's basically all white and shades of grey.

The favicon has changed ... to a 'u' ... :| This doesn't seem to correlate to the theme/title of your website.

Meh, that's all I could be bothered writing about a template ...
  • Internetbox
  • Born
  • Born
  • Internetbox

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check the w3 standard, your website is not validated.

Add more content and make more attractive.

;)
  • CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Chicago, IL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

peterrod,

The first thought is why so deep purple? That background/primary color, it made me jump back a foot.

I did a site with a single Enter button on the homepage and was told by a pro, that a full nav somewhere on the homepage is needed, even if it is just links at the bottom.

The Javascript fade-in left wipe across it pretty old school, if this was a flash actionscript coded and ran by xml your effect would look more 2008 into 2009.

Try to have only 2 secondary colors, change the subtitle "Peering into the Mind-Connection" to another secondary color, the olive green makes it hard to read the text on that purple bg. Using CSS for your head banner and not a image shows more advanced skills if you are looking for work in this field.

Now once I entered the site, I said "much better", colors matched well and the peeling corner effect is kick-ass. I would align my divs better the left column and right column are not even vertically and horizontally.

The top nav drop down menus don't seem to fit, it appears you simply wanted to use the effect, which does not work well as far as style.

Overall, very nice coding, you make a lot of good things happen in the right places.

The Breaking New flash menu is well done and positioned well. Your images are clean and professional, each one makes its point.

A bit more polish and it looks like you'll have a sucessful career in this business.

Good Luck!

cgfX
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

You really think the person that made the splash page made the home page? I think it is a template. But I do agree with you about the full nav needed on the home page, but disagree on the peeling corner ... over-used and annoying that it only hides ads.

cgfX wrote:
The top nav drop down menus don't seem to fit

Which is because this is a template where this person's simply switched a few things around.
  • play4kid
  • Born
  • Born
  • play4kid

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overall is pretty good.
The font size of breaking news is too small.

But I am a little confused by the content of the website. What's the purpose of this website? There are a lot of contents, but seems no theme.

Just my 2 cents

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers