SITE REVIEW: Boostart

• [b0t]
  • Loc: Belgium

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've just finished that little site and wanna know what do you think about it :

http://portal.eurower.net/s/

Design is not very beautyfull but what do you think about the concept ?
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) I think you should have mentioned in your OZZU post that the page was in French.
2) I like the design. It's clean and simple and nice to look at.
3) The concept of the site gets a bit lost in the translation. (This is why, the lower right section translated:
"You lost your page of starting? No the problem, to recover the magic bond which goes booster rocket your visits, it is enough for you to type the URL of your site here: [form field]") I sort of understand the concept, but probably not enough to judge it.
4) For English-speaking visitors, the header graphics are still in French. I understand them, since I take French in school, but your average visitor may not. I suggest that you offer two versions: one in English and one in French.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

A little more contrast might be easier on the eyes. Maybe just a slight shade darker on the text. The blues and whites all blend together a bit too much for my taste, but it is a good start.

The header image seems to have a bit too much wasted white-space at the bottom. You could probably drop 20 pixels or so and slide the page up a bit. (Personal preference)

And all of your font and color tags can be done away with and put into css to increase download speeds.

Good start.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Blue sites are old hat unless you do something very creative. Too bland and Uninspired.

On the upside things can only get better :wink:
  • OldSocks
  • OldSocks
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually like the design.

But as mentioned before - an english version would be tops.
  • roddog
  • roddog
  • Loc: Arkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the design and choice of colors but it is kind of hard to read.
Perhaps you could put the text in a table and set the table background to a shade darker than the rest perhaps a light hint of blue on white.
Or darken the text some or perhaps just bold it all.
It does have a very inviting feel to it though, kind of relaxing.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or instead of a table, do it with a div and use css to do the same thing!

Why does everybody seem to insist on using a table to do what can be done with shorter code. It's so old-school. Like using a table just to give an image a border. Lame-o!
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

gsv2com wrote:
Or instead of a table, do it with a div and use css to do the same thing!

Why does everybody seem to insist on using a table to do what can be done with shorter code. It's so old-school. Like using a table just to give an image a border. Lame-o!

Tables are best unless you want to do 2 versions of your website for older browsers. I work in education and government websites and most of those are old PC's. If it was better surely minimal sites like Google would stop using tables!

And stop calling people “lame” its rather childish!
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never called anyone "lame". I said the use of a table to make a border around an image is lame.

What browser are you or the government using that don't support CSS1? Just about every browser in use in the market today has support for at least CSS1. Unless you're using NS4 you shouldn't have a problem. If you are using that ancient of browser, it's time to upgrade. It doesn't matter what version of windows (or *nix, or whatever) you've got running. Current browsers are available and they take little time to download.

I'd be interested in knowing what percent of the internet population has trouble with css1. I'd say it has to be in the "less than five" area.

If you're limiting yourself to technology only permitted on dinosaur browsers, you are not only limiting what those with current browsers can achieve on your website, you are also limiting what you yourself have experience in.

Tables are positively not best.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

gsv2com wrote:
If you're limiting yourself to technology only permitted on dinosaur browsers, you are not only limiting what those with current browsers can achieve on your website, you are also limiting what you yourself have experience in.

I am NOT limiting myself creatively by not using divs. If I need to do a moving animated layers then sure use divs but its just not needed yet.

Its definately not a good idea to use divs for layout instead of tables if you want the widest range of people to be able to use it. Old versions of netscape and IE and old versions of opera.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not a good idea to limit yourself SOLELY to div, but then again, it's not a good idea to overly rely on tables either--which is a practice that a good 80% of websites posted in the reviews section are obviously doing.

There are a thousand ways to streamline html. Divs are not the only way to do it and should be avoided where possible IMHO. Divitis is contagious at first, after all.

CSS is for style. HTML is for presentation. Keep that in mind and you'll make standards-compliant websites. If you've got markup all over the place, you're limiting your accesses solely to those with PC browsers.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

And if you think CSS's only use is in the div tag, you've got a TON of reading to do.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

gsv2com wrote:
And if you think CSS's only use is in the div tag, you've got a TON of reading to do.
lol you like adding spin to your posts :wink: I was not having a go at CSS and never was. It was just the topic of divs over tables. I dont see Tables as limiting! Sites like http://scamper.org/blog/ are really nice but it if was aimed at normal users and not designers then another version for older browsers as to be made. The same design can be done using Tables.

I think we have both gone a little offtopic :)
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't see tables as limiting either, but there is a reason for every tag, and tables should not be used as cheap hacks.

tables are extremely useful for page layout, displaying data, etc, but they should not be used--as i said--in cheap hacks (like making a 500pixel box with a little red border that floats in the middle of the screen).

use the tags the way they're meant to be used <- my philosophy. I'm still not up to 100% in this area, but at least I try, and css has given my websites the ability to load so fast the delay is hardly noticible. "Lightning F****** Fast" as one of my clients put it."

If you've got a bunch of nested tables, the delay is positively noticible.

Anyway, I don't really think it's all that far off topic since the advice was, "Perhaps you could put the text in a table and set the table background to a shade darker than the rest perhaps a light hint of blue on white." <- a perfect example of a cheap hack.
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

concept wise:
- concept doesnt work. this site is a great example if i couldnt read (which i cant because its french) i should be able to get an idea of what the website is about or offering and i have no idea of either.

design wise:
- some elements like the background and the titles are clean and simple.
- the logo looks a little dodgy the way the curve blend into the "clouds".
- scrollbar too light couldnt see i had to scroll down.
- some of the text could be layedout a little more thoughfull. (combinations of centred, justified and left aligned text can look messy).
- good thing i cant see the banner straight away ;-))) maybe, maybe not.

over all comments are faily clean and simple, doesnt really do much for me and i feel the design would bore me if i had to use the site alot.

but keep it up ;-))

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers