SITE REVIEW: Boyles Web Design Re-Design V2

• jakeboylesdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jakeboylesdesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, Im working on my re-design of my companys page,www.boyleswebdesign.com , the new design is at http://www.boyleswebdesign.com/v2 . Any opinions/Ideas? Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mtheory
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Branford CT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good start.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The new design definitely looks better than the old one. The font is more pleasing and the layout makes good use of screen space.

I'd suggest adding a rollover effect to the links at the top. And don't forget to validate your page before putting it live! Currently, all the images are missing ALT text.
  • jakeboylesdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jakeboylesdesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

I added a hover state to the nav, is it any better?
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great job!

I think your site looks pretty good. The first thing I noticed was while reading your 'A little About Me' section I saw this:

Boyles Web Design wrote:
Welcome to Boyles Web Design, my name is Jake Boyles and I am a Cincinnati web designer that designs from the Cincinnati, Ohio area

I just think that's a little redundant, especially since you state in the next paragraph that you live in Oxford. My suggestion would be to take out the "from the Cincinnati, Ohio area".

The second thing is all personal opinion but to me the 1px border around your form in your footer makes it less clean. I would either take the border out completely or make it a different color to stand out against that background color. Again that's just personal opinion.

Other than that, I think you have a nice website going on and great job!
  • jakeboylesdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jakeboylesdesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you, I have changed the text you mentioned to "I am a web designer thats designs from the Cincinnati,Ohio area" I need to have the cincinnati part in there because thats what im going for in the search engines. Thanks!
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

jakeboylesdesign wrote:
"I am a web designer thats designs from the Cincinnati,Ohio area"

How about "I'm a web designer practicing in the Cincinnati, Ohio area." ? Typically we assume that a designer designs... you can replace "practicing" with, "working", "creating", etc

Also the green "status" text in the bottom bugs me. It looks too much like the links above it. I'd say at the least change the color, you might also want to change the font size a bit to make it different.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't see the images on the navbar. It was fine the other day but they're gone now! I think it's because you're using the :link class for the links on the navbar and that class is only for unvisited links. You should remove that class so that the style applies to all links.
  • jakeboylesdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jakeboylesdesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, Thanks I forgot I still had them on there, I was just messing around with it. Its fixed now thanks!
  • jakeboylesdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jakeboylesdesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok so I made the update text white, removed the links underline and gave them a hover state.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

jakeboylesdesign wrote:
Hi, Thanks I forgot I still had them on there, I was just messing around with it. Its fixed now thanks!

:) Great! It's working now. And the hover effect looks really nice.
  • jakeboylesdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jakeboylesdesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks! Anymore suggestions I think im gonna get started doing the other pages, and then make it live.
  • jakeboylesdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jakeboylesdesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I have finished the other pages, what do you think?? Thanks
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm... the images on the portfolio page seem to be unusually large (in terms of file size) for their dimensions. I tried saving one of them as JPEG and there wasn't any noticeable loss in quality - you should probably convert all of them to JPEG to reduce their file size.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers