SITE REVIEW: bozblue

• kenni
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • kenni

Post 3+ Months Ago

i made this homepage for myself 2 months ago. i uploaded it on tripod just for my self.

It basically has all the top search engines with image search and that etc

now i decided to launch it for the public and here it is.
http://www.bozblue.com

i hope everyone enjoys it. also, could anyone suggest reasons why they wouldnt use it? it will be appreicated
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, I like that, very neat and easy to use.

First suggestion: I believe you're the same person who had this problem before, but the tabs don't show up as links on mouseover, they're just regular pointers (no hand). You might want to fix that as to avoid confusion.

Second suggestion: Make the dictionary, thesaurus and encyclopaedia searches a little more obvious (by this I mean so that they know right off the bat that they need to enter search terms before clicking the link.)

Third suggestion: A references area including educational, resourceful, and informational sites. Best place to add this could probably be beneath the different corporate sites (because this section would probably work a lot like those), and have them tabbed, also. Of course, more sections could be added, like art sites, music sites, and community sites. If you want to know what I'm shooting at on this, check out my sites links section: http://www.ligerexpress.com/links.php

Other than that, I'm impressed. It looks very clean and well-organized. In fact, I'm going to set it as my homepage. ;)

(PS: does that 'get clip' icon add the search terms to the clipboard, or copy the clipboard to the search bar? I clicked it, but it didn't do anything)

Edit:

Found something else. When you click 'images' and try and search, it just searches the Web on Google, not images. Same with news. You might also want to fix that. Also, I don't know how MSN, Yahoo, and Ask Jeeves work entirely, but if they have 'images' and 'news' searches, you might want to check that out, too.

Another little tidbit might be a random quote underneath the daily fact (does that really change daily?). They could range from humorous to educational, to historical to down-right stupid. :)

Again, I think it's great. I've already set it as my home.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice! I like it very much. But I have other things to mention apart from praises.

I think the links with the boxes behind them should change colour when you put your cursor over them. I like how it gives facts everyday.

The link: Make BozBlue your Homepage, should be at the bottom remembering that people usually will look at the things at the top first.

Well... there aren't really any reason why you wouldn't use BozBlues. I know I would!

Suggestion: Keep the options that allow you to search google, yahoo, etc; but also why not make your own search engine and allow users to search yours. If you do, you should also have a page that allows users to add their website and will have the URL send to you.

Anyway enough about what I think. Great Website and Keep up the good work! :)
  • mjmtaiwan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjmtaiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yours is an excellent idea for a site.... a one stop site for many search quiries. Could you offer the following ... an option to open the results in different tabs or windows in the browser... such as a search for cat nip one tab with the results for google, another for jeeves, another for yahoo, ex cetera.

One thing - I typed bitch into your text box thinking I could get a thesaurus lookup by (silly me) clicking the thesaurus link... how wrong I was... perhaps you could integrate that into the page.

Also, you might have converters on your page... I can never remember how many cups in a bitch.

excelent... a woman shouldn't be allowed such an important decision as her hair length alone. Of course that is between me and you... it might seem anti social for you to put that on your web page... I think some people might misunderstand and brand you a monger of HATE SPEACH.
  • mjmtaiwan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjmtaiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

cups in a gallon...
  • takai003
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • takai003
  • Loc: Albany, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

The search content itself is very well designed. But like stated before, I would change it so that your curser is a hand when you mouse over, so that people know they can click on it.

The search function worked fine for me, the only thing that I think it's REALLY missing is a way to search all of the engines at once. The would really add to the uniqueness and keep me as a returning visitor.

Another thing is the colors. It just helps the site overall if there is a constant, steady color scheme. I would stick with a light blue/gray/white considering the name of the site ;)

The final thing is the BozBlue logo. It's not bad, but imo you would attract a lot more returning visitors if you had a more professional logo that supported the colors of the site.

Nice job though. I've bookmarked your site and plan to stop by again, as it was very useful for doing a quick PR check on my sites with all of the major SE.
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

site aint working for me
  • weblaunch
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • weblaunch

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice multi-search engine. On an LCD display, the blue, pink, grey and green backgrounds show up very faintly. Did you design this on a CRT monitor? I'd darken the backgrounds a little to accomodate LCD displays.

Good luck with your project!
  • webfastic
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webfastic
  • Loc: Baltimore, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, very nice. I love that you can easily add your own personal links. Color scheme is very pleasing and the layout of the site is great.

I think you should add some kind of back color to the unselected buttons so it looks in uniform.
  • davidaus
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • davidaus
  • Loc: Indo

Post 3+ Months Ago

One little suggestion. Try to change the color of the logo not made to be so contrast or cut down the bevel. Nice site man !! Good luck
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Consider a 'set this to be your homepage' button. Also I think it should be centered like google. Your content is all over the place. The ad and main serach is to the left. The links add/remove thing to the right-center and the menu at the bottom centered.

Pretty nifty. I can see how well I rank in all the search engines with less typing now. Not to mention the search potential.

Update:
It was just a neat idea I had perhaps you might take up a 'go to a random site' button. Anyone can submit their favorite site. When someone clicks the button they go to one of the sites on the list. Neat idea or not? I know Ive been bored in the past and yeah I might like to have a button like that.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im really starting to become a big bozblue fan. I know your site has the potential to become as big a google. A few tweaks still:

1) I switch from 'Web' to 'Images' or 'News' and it's a lot darker background. Brighten the Red and Green to match the Blue.

2) How come when Im recent referrer it says azoundria.com. I think you should get the page title for the link instead of the website name.

3) Encyclopedia is MSN Encarta. Dictionary is Answers.com. I think Wikipedia and Wiktionary is a personal preference to many people.

4) Uhoh I think youve got an error the recent referrer. It said Recent referrer: bozblue.com after I went back to the main page from your contact section.
  • kenni
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • kenni

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the tips Azoundria.

Keep any more comments coming, they're all appreciated.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its funny yesterday I was thinking I might have been overloading you. I wish I got this many comments on my site.

Im just wondering. I saw you added Gmail and lightened the menu but what of my other suggestions are you planning to consider.

Oh and I was starting an IsMyWebsite thing which gives domains that forward to other sites. I already have it set up at http://www.ismywebsite.com and you can register 3 free domains for it. If people enter it in a textbox which Im hoping will be located more commonly around the web they can go to your site. And IsMyWebsite domains can use a variety of additional characters beyond letters and numbers.
  • dre
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dre

Post 3+ Months Ago

i use the site so mit aswell review it :)

First of i like the personal links section it allow me to save my favourite sites!

the logo- have a logo tha represent the site as a whole

also add some kind of new feed wo when i start my home page i know what going on in the world :P
  • webmasterforum
  • Student
  • Student
  • webmasterforum

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice idea. I suggest that you first make the rollovers that you used on the personal links work for every link on the page. I also suggest you do something similar to Google when you switch searches by changing the color of the search box. (For instance, web search is blue *as you have*, maybe image search green, and news search a light shade of red). Finally I suggest that you shrink the title of your page -we can't read it!
  • placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Warsaw, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice indeed. I'm highly impressed. Couple of things to note:

The custom links section is nice, but it relies on client-side cookies and can be lost easily, and a lot of people block them. Plus, it would just be nice to be able to visit the site from work or home and get to your links. I strongly recommend some sort of database and basic auth system. Of course, if you do this you would have to have a privacy policy in place.

Next thing, goes in line with the above: I like the suggestion of a random link. Maybe tie it in to other people's favorite links, and also maybe include a suggested links sections. Like, find matching links on other's lists and suggest one from their list. Would work much like "users that like this site also like...".

One more thing, if you're profit-bound - You can add a generic search option to your site that will search sponsored links. Big revenue option there, and it looks like your own search engine. check out AllFeeds.com for some info there. I know the owner, and there is some huge profit potential in it.

But yeah, very slick.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers