SITE REVIEW: BrainyPenguin.com

• Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, I haven't been around here in quite a while. This site is very different from the one that I posted here about a year ago. There isn't too much content yet, but I am working on it. So yeah...tell me what you think of it:
BrainyPenguin.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always loved the color blue. I like the graphics done with the site. Specially the top logo and header is really cool. But the layout leaves more to desire. There is too much empty spaces. And yo under navigate and where the contents are supposed to go. And You are right there is almost no content right now to review. Little can be said until you fill up all those empty spaces. The main sections to be inadequate. Besidees the forum there are only quizes and cult! Will that be enough to get people coming back time and again? I am not sure what popular quizes you are referring to. And is this supposed to be a site for Google fans? I mean what is the purpose of the site? Add some related graphics when you are adding the contents. Is it really necessary to have that scrolling news in there? Make another news section if there are so many new news stuffs.

Your html seems to have no meta tags. Google may overlook them, other popular search engines like slurp or msn bot don't. Other then that the code is very tidy and minimalist.

A guestbook does not match with a popular or professional site imho. That's kid stuff. The forum theme is kool. But there is NO link in the forum to the main web site. At least I did'nt see any. As if it was from a different stand alone web site. How do I go back to the main site? Keep hitting the back button?

The site leaves a lot to be desired. Hope you work on them. :)
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks much for the advice.

Quote:
I mean what is the purpose of the site?

It really doesn't have one, as of now. I guess I pretty much just made this site to begin learning PHP and work on my design skills. I don't really have anything to add to the web that people would actually be interested in.

Quote:
I am not sure what popular quizes you are referring to.

Posting quiz results in blogs (mainly LiveJournal) and on personal websites is a big thing right now. There are way too many of us teens that have nothing better to do with our lives.

Quote:
A guestbook does not match with a popular or professional site imho.

Lol...forming a cult around a search engine isn't very professional either. Professionalism isn't quite what I'm going for. :wink: But I do agree, it would be very tacky on something like a business site.

I will add the meta tags and get a link back to the main page from the forum. Thanks again!
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Image played it and this is me I guess :) The cool blue is great... The page is easy on the eyes without a ton of links all over the place. It seemed to view nicely in all resolutions. The forum is clean and neat, still incorporating the same colors as the main page. A page about nothing are my favorite! Just shows more of a personal image of a persons creativity...

Keep up the good work

7-10 rating

adios :arrow:
  • ProgramMax
  • ProgramMax

Post 3+ Months Ago

The design feels a bit empty. I feel like I was going to get in line for a roller coaster (and was expecting thrills and fast colors) and found myself riding the kiddie coster.

I have the exact same problem. I'm starting to believe that if I make the site with a set width (so it doesn't expand to fill the whole browser window) that I can make a snazzier design. My problem then is that I have a business website and it seems that most businesses don't use that...but it seems to help the design factor.

Also perhaps throw in a little more contrast. It is very blue...hard to read the slightly-off-blue things.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers