SITE REVIEW: Bringing a website to the next level

• camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a client, that I really want to do more work for. I have already done her site (90% done actually), but want to "bring it to the next level".

So I am looking to you guys for suggestions on what I can add, that will really make the site a full and powerful site.

First, here is the site (90% done): http://www.klaircristiani.com

Second, here is what I am thinking I can add:

- User comments: A section where users can comment on her page

- 500 new dance pages imported: I would use a harvester to import new content from dance pages etc. Maybe some pages of links to other sites, maybe some ezine articles etc.

- Photo gallery option: A way she can upload photos and

- Cell phone template: Her website would change when viewed by cellphone, to cellphone formatted html

- Sitemap. Both HTML and XML.

- Google ads: Get her to sign up for Google Adsense, then splash the ads in different places. This will make her money (ok, probably not millions, but it IS value to the site)

- Wikipedia entry: I would make a wikipedia page for her and try to get it approved. She has enough screen credits and compition credits that I think I could do it.

- Myspace page that links to her site? With photo gallery? I'm reaching here...

- Content manager so she can edit the site herself: Actually I don't want her to edit it herself. I want her to have to contact me each time, so it appears to be "work" I am doing for her.

Any other things you would add to the site? Don't just think what I can do to her site, but "value" to the client (eg, a wikipedia entry adds value to her, but isn't part of her site).
Moderator Remark: moved to reviews
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice list of actions, I think it would work well, how bout joining a forum with the same niche? That would be good in getting convertions.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

She must be paying you really good... or maybe it's something else to get that dedication from a web developer :D (Just Joking).

Since it's at a site review spot, I will give you a review on that site.

Real good design. I see that you have really tried on the site and it looks good. Simple layout and clean working design. Although, somewhat flawed, it is a functional and decorated design.

Although it's not important on the user's functionality or decorating side or loading speed (In most cases), it's a good idea to fix those errors for SEO.

I like how you made a different (random?) question to show every time at the bottom of about every page. A good idea.

Why don't you change the title on every page? I think that what you have now hurts the site SEO-wise... read somewhere that google thinks it's duplicates of one page. Maybe I'm wrong.

How about some URL rewriting to remove those http:http://www.klaircristiani.com/?t=contact to http://www.klaircristiani.com/contact.html? I think that would work well and look better.

The links at the bottom (Such as Health Benefits to Ballroom Dancing and others) took a while to be noticed by me... I just noticed them after looking through the site for 10 minutes.

What you can do more is add a favicon to the site... give it some formal identity.

Good job.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually yes, she is giving me something more to get my absolute dedication - she is giving me dance lessons. :-P Get your mind out of the gutter!

I want to do more on her site, to get her to give me more lessons in Quickstep or Tango.

The links at the bottom are not really to be noticed - they are there for Google and SEO.

Thanks for moving this to site-review. I didn't want it to be a site review since I didn't want to spam and say "hey look at my site". I just wanted ideas. I hate when people spam "hey look at my site". Actualy I was not even going to put the URL of the site but I knew everyone would ask to see it.

I will fix the validation. Good call on that!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, this is actually one of the better candidates for a review than most we get around here. Most are "hey look at my site". Your's is really genuinely what this reviews forum is here for. Don't be afraid to use it for any of your future sites. ummmmm.... given that they are "acceptable" content if you catch my drift.

I didn't get a real detailed look at the site, but I did glance at it this morning and must say I really like it just like it is. Sharp, classy, and simple.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of I have to agree with ATNO sharp, classy and simple. Very nice design. I struggle with additions to sites. I am all about simple and direct, I don't like filler material just show them what they came to see and stop. However my SEO guy is always telling me 2 things content is King and you should always be the expert in whatever it is your doing. So I tried to apply the expert idea to your site. Just going in thinking how can you show that she is the best of the best at what she does.

I was thinking about some video testimonials. I noticed you have some text ones on the wedding pages but your on the web and you have the technology to show so much more then just text, besides the proof of whether she is a good dance teacher is whether they can dance and you can actually show it. Put a little bit of time and production quality (much like you have done with the site) into some testimonial videos with couples that are fun and some what candid with interlaced video of the couple actual showing off their moves.

I mean for me you can tell me you went to the best college and learned design but I wont listen to a word you say until I see what you produce based on your knowledge.

Are there any other instructors other then Klair?
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are lots of instructors other than Klair. My plan actually, is to go through each San Diego instructor, offer them a website in return for lessons. Good for them, good for me. I have about 3 more lined up so far. Top instructors too.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

camperjohn wrote:
There are lots of instructors other than Klair. My plan actually, is to go through each San Diego instructor, offer them a website in return for lessons. Good for them, good for me. I have about 3 more lined up so far. Top instructors too.

Sort of "I rub your back, you rub mine" policy :lol:

Good idea... :D Good luck
  • sfifabian
  • Born
  • Born
  • sfifabian

Post 3+ Months Ago

This site looks really classy, you don't see much sites like this on the internet, really good!!
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firstly, well done it's a stunning website.

SEO
You are misusing the <em> tag. In your code you have the following line

Code: [ Select ]
<em> Read more about Klair Cristiani </em>

You should be using the <em> tag around such text as <em>ballroom dancing san diego</em>. It is a possible search term and should be emphasised. Same can be said of <h1> tags etc...

The site copy lacks many search terms you may wish to target. Consider tweaking it.

The site has not yet been submitted to google, it is not "ageing". The longer a website is registered on google the more credibility it gets...

Use some appropriate "alt" and "title" tags containing possible search terms.

It is a *.com domain and therefore geographically ambiguous. Include some geo meta-tags so google is aware of her location and consider creating a local business center account. It's free.

Include other meta tags such as character encoding (UTF-8), keywords and description as a minimum. Try to make them differ on every page including the title tag.

Quote:
"...Sitemap. Both HTML and XML..."

Waste of time on such a small domain, invest your sweat on tweaking the copy.

Quote:
"harvester to import new content from dance pages"

You are proposing to screen-scrape 3rd party content for a clients site? Is she aware?

QUALITY

There is no validation on the contact form.

You are using non-degradeable inline javascript for mouseover effects. Use simple CSS to replace both javascript and images.

This tiny image -> http://www.klaircristiani.com/images/content_012a.jpg is 26kb in size. You can reduce the size without reducing the quality.

You are using tables to layout this website, inline styling and inline javascript. I'm gob-smacked.

Quote:
"...Google ads: Get her to sign up for Google Adsense, then splash the ads in different places. This will make her money (ok, probably not millions, but it IS value to the site)..."

Never in a million years She will make $2 per year and it will ruin the sites aesthetic value.

In short, 12 out of 10 for design, 5 out of 10 for quality. Concentrate on improving what you have. Getting her on page-1 of google for search terms such as "ballroom dancing san diego" or "ballroom lessons san diego" should be extremely easy if you address the basics.

Good luck.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Prime wrote:
Firstly, well done it's a stunning website.

SEO
You are misusing the <em> tag. In your code you have the following line

Code: [ Select ]
<em> Read more about Klair Cristiani </em>

................diego" or "ballroom lessons san diego" should be extremely easy if you address the basics.

Good luck.

Wow these are really good suggestions. I will try to implement all of these tonight and get back here.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Prime wrote:
The site has not yet been submitted to google, it is not "ageing". The longer a website is registered on google the more credibility it gets...

How do I do this? Is there a google submit page?

Prime wrote:
It is a *.com domain and therefore geographically ambiguous. Include some geo meta-tags so google is aware of her location and consider creating a local business center account. It's free.

Are there meta tags for location? Or do I just put keywords for San Diego in the copy?
  • extr3m3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • extr3m3
  • Loc: Bucharest, Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

you`re site is really good. it has a special design that makes it very clasic. keep up the good work
  • hperkins
  • Born
  • Born
  • hperkins

Post 3+ Months Ago

excellent site!!! very creative and informative!! it allows users to navigate easily throughout pages.
  • bermuda
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bermuda

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site looks good but my suggestion is replacing the black color background at the top with another one, like deep green or blue or a kind of gradient style.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers