SITE REVIEW: BrowseAny Web Directory

• Pozzy
  • Pozzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.BrowseAny.com

Let me give you a little synopsis of the site:
Browse Any is a one-of-a-kind directory. It's not like the usual: hundreds and hundreds of annoying subpages. No; you will have access to every link in the directory from the home page.

Links are randomized, submission is automatic, page is PR4

Comments and suggestions are heavily appreciated, specifically on the boxes, the general look and the prices. Thanks!
  • webia
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webia
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

What will happen when You will have like 1.000.000 websites submited ? Wait 3 days until the page loads.

Than use the search in page function to find what you are looking for ?
  • Pozzy
  • Pozzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's ok if the page takes a while to load, we might make more columns. The search idea sounds great though.
  • webia
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webia

Post 3+ Months Ago

You didn`t get my point.

You can have 15 colums there... there will be a lot of mysql queryes to get all that info out, and lots of text to load .

just try me ... make a script that outputs all numbers from 1 to 100.000 . Each number on a line, and you`ll see how the server works :)
  • thetzfreak
  • Born
  • Born
  • thetzfreak

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I'm Pozzy's partner. You think there will be a lot of mysql queries, but in reality there are only 2. It is a lot of text to load, but most people can load all of it.

http://browseany.com/numbers.php

I quickly coded that. That loads 40,000 numbers on one page. In Firefox, there's no problem. In internet explorer, it takes a short while, but it DOES load. In firefox, I went up to 70,000 numbers with no problem.

40,000 is an unrealistic number anyway when it comes to this site. Most directories don't even have 40,000 links in all.

Anyway, that search feature is a great suggestion. Thanks :)
  • reciprocal_link
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • reciprocal_link
  • Loc: Bemidji, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

interesting consept.. If I were you I'd add some news feeds and sports, technology feeds, and change the logo. It looks a little rustick
  • Jun
  • Jun

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great Idea.. Just requires more Feeds and adding Blocks to youre categories would be better.
8)
  • webia
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The idea of the numbers was not exactly to see if the page loads or not.

You could have one mysql than fetch rows and a while to output all your links there.

But think of how the server would be pushed up to the task when 500 visitors all load the same home page with 10.000 links to output.

There are directories with not only 40.000 links, but milions. Think of yahoo directory, Dmoz and many others.

Cheers
  • kasrak
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kasrak

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site's pretty good and might be useful. However, I think the logo is too unreadable and just gives an unprofessional image to the rest of the site. I would also have more than one "Featured Link" per line instead of having 1 per line, center aligned. Good luck with it.
  • Pozzy
  • Pozzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the advice.
  • anon
  • Born
  • Born
  • anon

Post 3+ Months Ago

it loads too slow for me maybe you can change your hosting...
and I don't like the colors of your site :?
  • krok55
  • krok55

Post 3+ Months Ago

the first thing that i've noticed, while entering the site, is lots of ads! really! too much of them..
Besides that, i think that the combination of white and light blue is not so good color combination (my personal opinion)
  • thetzfreak
  • Born
  • Born
  • thetzfreak

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm glad you noticed all the ads, as that's the point of the site! The links.

I'll see what I can do about the colors and logo. Also, anon, the site loads fine for me. No slowness.

Thanks for the great reviews!
  • thetzfreak
  • Born
  • Born
  • thetzfreak

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone else have any more suggestions?

Thanks.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers