SITE REVIEW: Bury The Fallen

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey everyone....I am back with a site that I did a few months ago. The site has been running smoothly, but I am wondering if there is anything I could do different. I have been looking at it too long so it is getting hard to tell!

EDIT: http://www.burythefallen.com/ is the link

---------------------
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

link?
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very clean and neat - dangerously close to being too plain - perhaps the top banner needs to be more interesting.

Also, a suggestion I have is to try to include an image representing something for the each blog? A-la Slashdot.

I always find that related images on blogs tend to be a bit ore visually interesting.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks pretty nice. About how a dark-themed blog might look. I'd say a slightly lighter background behind the content might make it a bit easier to read.. I know with the font the size it is and my monitor at its resolution, it's a bit tricky right now but, might be fine for everyone else.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

A great site Truce and its in true blogger format. There's just something thats out of step with the site. Just from staring at it for a few seconds, I think each blog needs some kind of definition, a border or a horizontal line separation. Its too cluttered, even though its very neat. I think a dotted dark gray horizontal line after each entry may ease things up. Also think about making your white blog titles a different color than the rest of the following text, so its a little easier to identify the topic. You have it in bold, but its not very noticeable. Maybe consider chaninging the blog context text to a light shade of gray. On a similar note, use some css and change the scroll colors in the shout box to a black track with white arrows, it will make it blend better with the site. I also just noticed your header image doesnt go all the way to the end of the table. It cuts off just before it aligns with the right border.

I'm also have probs seeing your menu image as well as the bottom "pull the trigger...." image, they're barely visible on my screen. For the biography section, its too straight forward with the white text. When you identify name, role, status, make that stand out either with some bold or underline. If you could get some images of each person, that would probably bring that section out a lot better.

When you click on the make a donation link, make sure that opens in a new window for 2 reasons. The obvious one is that you want to keep your viewer on your site for as long as possible. Also, suppose I actually went through with a paypal donation, after all the steps I had to take in paypal to send the donation, your page is going to be like 10+ back button clicks away. The smart user will use the down arrow key on the back button and go back to your site, but you have to cater to both smart and dumb users!

Overall its a wicked awesome site and definitely reflects some talent. Add you meta description/keywords tags and you're all done man. Great job.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

The problem with the edges not lining up I don't know how to fix. It is because people insert too many characters with no space like "i love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" so it pushes the site to be wider. I tryed setting width in pixels but it doesn't help at all, and I don't want the horizontal scrollbar. Any ideas on that?

I will start fixin the other stuff.
  • morphmaster
  • Born
  • Born
  • morphmaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

really like it, it all correlates and blends well together

Top quality
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

morphmaster, I realize that you're trying to get your reviews in but, they have to be better than that to count for reviews. All of your reviews have been pretty useless quite honestly and I don't think anyone's going to review your site when you post it if that's what you're going for.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK....I made most of the updates you guys suggested...except I can't make the donate button open in a new window because I would have to change the structure of the menus (code structure that is).

Otherwise, I updated the shoutbox to show only the most recent posts, and added a link to view all of the posts.
I added some definition to what is a title, a post, etc.

I also plan on adding in code to make sure nothing longer than X characters is in a post.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

the theme and colours are good. but I find that there are too many words on the home page.
abit confusing tho.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Too many words???? Whats that mean? Like in the posts or something? That is basically the news that keeps people coming back.

I am probably going to code a custom forum for the site as well, because many people are requesting it.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

That won't cut it for a review buddy. Thx though.
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha that is sooo good i love it welld ont mate, it looks like it is mad the colors flow great, the onlything i am doubts it hte broders aroudnt he txt.
but yeah it is pretty good, i like how you have centered it and have a differnt background tot he foreground so yeah it stads out
well done.

-sycofi5h
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thx syco. I didn't have the borders a few days ago, but if you look at the older posts someone recommended it. It helps distinguish posts from each other a lot.
  • ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mmm.. I'm having difficulty viewing the headers for each section.. like menu. My monitor may be alittle dark, but I don't find there's a great enough contrast between the background colour and the text colour.

Like the shoutbox

Would use the css attribute display: block for the menu links, and extend them so the whole box is a link, not just the text,

Left align the subscription form so it's next to the left border, not the right.

Perhaps increase the text size a smidgen.. like 1/2 pts...

Otherwise nice grungy looking website!! :D
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm yeah i have started to use CSS borders now they are greatm, well done. again
-sycofi5h

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers