SITE REVIEW: Cadence Photography - 98% - check it out please

• uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some of you may have looked at this site before, but that would have been early on in the development stages.

Well now I am mostly done, I might have some updates to do after new years so there are a few things still hanging out there, but really for the most part all the main stuff is done.

The site is simple and straightforward, easy to navigate, and not too deep in pages. It's not an "extraordinary site", however it IS only the 3rd real site that I've worked on and I have made alot of improvements with my abilities.

When you view the site, please know that the "recent events" link opens an external page from a different site, and as of right now I do not have any access to work on that page.. :(

Enough of all the blah blah blah, Here Is The Site. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Enjoy!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

*remembers*
Only thing I can tell ya, is what about an image mouseover? Perhaps changing the white to red?
Only other thing I've got to gripe about is the same couple over and over...but that's probably all you had to work with. Other than that, it's been a long process for this site!
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice! i don't have any tuts :)
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very elegant intro uknightuss. However, it can be condensed even more, its a bit too long in my opinion.

I would also recommend having the entire site flash based, following the very clean and elegant look and feel you've presented with the intro.

I do remember this site before and I must concur that it has indeed come a long way, great job.
  • ramone_johnny
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ramone_johnny
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gday...

I just had a quick look over the site. Looks professional....however

1. You need a "SKIP INTRO" on that flash stuff at the beginning. Most users will become impatient watching that fancy stuff, close the browser and be back to google before you know it!

2. Frames....aaaagghhhhh!!!!

3. Sizing perhaps? Ive got a 19 inch monitor in front of me, and let me tell you, theres a whole lotta white space going on around the edges!

Apart from that, nice, clean and very stylish. Well done

RJ
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

neksus wrote:
*remembers*
Only thing I can tell ya, is what about an image mouseover? Perhaps changing the white to red?
Only other thing I've got to gripe about is the same couple over and over...but that's probably all you had to work with. Other than that, it's been a long process for this site!

Neksus, I'm not sure where you're suggesting the image mouseover, I do have rollovers on the 4 main menu links at the bottom and also on the thumbnail links of the main gallery menu page. White to red? Are you talking about the whitespace on the outside of the iframe? Same couple? There are 5 couples in the gallery section and some of those have a few pics in the intro, but there are also two additional couples in the intro that do not have pics in the gallery pages, totalling all together to be images of 7 couples.. So I'm not sure again what you mean there. I know it has been a long process to build this site, but three months ago I didn't know a thing about CSS or Javascript and my knowledge of Flash was minimal. The learning curve I've gone through is part of what has made this site take so long to get to the point that it's at now (in particular I have done a fair number of "rewrites" to my CSS and Javascript code as my understanding of how to use it has gotten better - not to mention learning about ".htaccess" and creating custom error pages! + I also had to learn some stuff about loading external movies in flash, and oh yeah - I learned a little bit about writing valid html :) ), but I am happy with the progress I've made! I still appreciate your comments!

SSH-Raj wrote:
Very nice! i don't have any tuts :)

Thanks SSH, that's ok about the "tuts" :D

mr_darek wrote:
Very elegant intro uknightuss. However, it can be condensed even more, its a bit too long in my opinion.

I would also recommend having the entire site flash based, following the very clean and elegant look and feel you've presented with the intro.

I do remember this site before and I must concur that it has indeed come a long way, great job.

Thanks mr_darek, I agree that the flash intro is too long, my client was stuck on having 20-25 images shown though.. Maybe over time I can add little "flash elements" to the site here and there, but would also need to make a no-flash version to have a complete site. edit: What am I saying? I already have the "no-flash" version, What I need to do now is make the "Flash-version" Lol :lol:

ramone_johnny wrote:
Gday...

I just had a quick look over the site. Looks professional....however

1. You need a "SKIP INTRO" on that flash stuff at the beginning. Most users will become impatient watching that fancy stuff, close the browser and be back to google before you know it!

2. Frames....aaaagghhhhh!!!!

3. Sizing perhaps? Ive got a 19 inch monitor in front of me, and let me tell you, theres a whole lotta white space going on around the edges!

Apart from that, nice, clean and very stylish. Well done

RJ

Thanks for the comments ramone. There actually is a very subtle skip intro button in the bottom right hand side of the intro window, perhaps I should make it a little more noticeable - it does virtually dissapear when a dark color is behind it in the movie. As far as the "frames" goes, I just started using iframes a few months ago because I saw them as an alternative to regular frames. I have not actually looked to see if I can make the iframe expand in percentage values to fit the screen. Is it possible to do that? I'm not sure if that's what you were suggesting, but that's what I got out of it and it gives me something to think about.
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

ramone_johnny wrote:
3. Sizing perhaps?

Well you got me thinking there Mr. ramone_johnny,

I asked myself "can iframes be set to expand and collapse using percentage values?" So I opened my web editing program and set up a little experiment and found that YES - you can indeed set an iframe to expand using percentage values! I had no idea, didn't even think to ask that before now. Thanks for opening my eyes, although maybe I shouldn't be thanking you because now I have to reconsider my layout plus some of the background graphics..! :wink: but seriously, thanks. I can't believe I didn't think about looking into this before now. crap
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

very good presentation/ intro. good job!
only for the skip intro which isnt obvious enough to users, I cant think of anything better to improve on!
  • delmea
  • Loc: West Yorkshire

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just visited your site and none of the images would load, I tried it 3 browsers - Explorer, Opera and Firefox with no success. Thought you might like to know.
http://www.freesoftware4all.co.uk
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

oOoO I"ll have to bookmark this page for future ideas for my wedding ;)

It took me a while to figure out where the "skip intro" link was located. You need to leave the text visible

Put a "close" option in your pop up window underneath the photos just like you have a "next" link

Nothing loads when I click on "recent events"

meta data missing

Why do you have alt="." ?
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

madmonk wrote:
very good presentation/ intro. good job!
only for the skip intro which isnt obvious enough to users, I cant think of anything better to improve on!

Thanks for the feedback madmonk, I've been getting a fair amount of "fix the skip intro button" from people. I'm definitely going to make it a little more noticeable, although I'm not sure if my client will be happy about that.. My client wants people to see the intro no matter what, but doesn't consider how she might have return visitors who don't want to see the intro again, or that she might have "non Flash loving" visitors as well..

Basically what I'm saying is that my client didn't even want me to put a skip button in there to begin with. I talked her into it, but only because I made the button so hardly visible.. That's gonna have to change..

delmea wrote:
Just visited your site and none of the images would load, I tried it 3 browsers - Explorer, Opera and Firefox with no success. Thought you might like to know.
http://www.freesoftware4all.co.uk

Thanks delmea, although I'm not sure what to tell you because I have tested this site from multiple locations with a good handful of different browsers and everywhere that I pull the site up it works perfect for me.. I have used Firefox, *(pc)Explorer, Safari, Konqueror, and *(mac)Explorer, and have done this testing from home on 3 different computers, from my work on 2 computers, from my friends work on 3 computers, and from the houses of 2 different friends, and not to mention My Clients MAC with IE on it which seems to have it's own way of displaying pages.. Perhaps it is something on your end? :roll:

*(pc) & (mac)Explorer - They seem to display pages differently than each other, I only have my clients computer to test this on.. I read somewhere that IE on mac is far less "up to date" than that for IE on pc, and that the compliance of standards on mac is also less than for the pc..

613flavah wrote:
oOoO I"ll have to bookmark this page for future ideas for my wedding ;)

It took me a while to figure out where the "skip intro" link was located. You need to leave the text visible

Put a "close" option in your pop up window underneath the photos just like you have a "next" link

Nothing loads when I click on "recent events"

meta data missing

Why do you have alt="." ?

Thanks 613 I'm glad you like the site :D

I will be changing the skip intro button soon.

The "close this window" link sounds like a not bad idea, I will check into implementing that.

The "recent events" link takes you to a page that is hosted by a company called "Pictage" and as of right now I don't have any administrative rights as to what appears on that page.. As far as the page being totally blank though, from what I understand there are links to the "events" that get displayed on that page, and after a certain period of time the "events" expire and the links get automatically removed off the page. A couple of weeks ago there were still two links to events being shown on that page and now they are gone into the void of nothingness!

Could you please tell me which meta tags you would reccomend that I should not go without? In my anxiousness to finish this site before leaving for Christmas I totally forgot to include keywords.. If that's the only meta tag that you reccomend then I agree, and will be adding that soon. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Last but not least - the (Alt=".") is leftover garbage from my experiments with getting my page to validate.. I had not used the "Alt" attribute before, and while making that page I was not sure what I wanted to call those spacer gifs. In my mind I saw those spacers as "nothing" but spacers, and so in the "Alt=" I was trying to figure out how to display "next to nothing" SILLY I know.. I have replaced the "." with "spacer". I totally forgot about those, I had meant to change them into something more than ".".. Thanks again, that was a good catch!
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Could you please tell me which meta tags you would reccomend that I should not go without? In my anxiousness to finish this site before leaving for Christmas I totally forgot to include keywords.. If that's the only meta tag that you reccomend then I agree, and will be adding that soon. Thanks for reminding me of that.

well you'd definitely need to include your keywords and site description :) If you need help with keywords just hollar!

Quote:
Last but not least - the (Alt=".") is leftover garbage from my experiments with getting my page to validate.. I had not used the "Alt" attribute before, and while making that page I was not sure what I wanted to call those spacer gifs. In my mind I saw those spacers as "nothing" but spacers, and so in the "Alt=" I was trying to figure out how to display "next to nothing" SILLY I know.. I have replaced the "." with "spacer". I totally forgot about those, I had meant to change them into something more than ".".. Thanks again, that was a good catch!

As for what to put in the alt tags, you should put keywords or your site name in there if they aren't anything descriptive, I wouldn't go with just "spacer" as it really doesn't say much about the image, but put your site name maybe without going overboard of course. The last thing you want is for a search engine to penalize you for using too many keywords all over your site and them labelling it as spam/flooding.
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a great idea 613,

Embedded keywords in the "Alt=" attribute. I understand what you mean about keeping it to a minimum. What if I were to write "Wedding photography images" instead?

If that were acceptable then perhaps for each spacer I could have a couple of different keywords.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes use that as the alt tag text but word them differently. Also the more you use your keywords throughout your site, the better ;)
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

White to red-> In the galleries. The images have a white border. Perhaps they just don't work on Firefox?
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Much better skills now than when you first started! Props on quick learning!

The Recent Events page doesn't bring anything up for me.....is it not finished? Very nice job otherwise!

Umm, let your client know that she could lose all of her business JUST from making people wait to see her content with a flash intro. This ACTUALLY happened to a friend of mine's company. They were selling high-end computers (about 3-4 per day) and they updated their intro from a simple static html teaser to a 2 minute long flash into showing all kinds of cool effects on them putting the computers together. It was a very fun to watch into, but there was no skip-into button and they ended up selling 3 computers for the entire 3 weeks they had left up the intro! Took it down and the sales started pooring in again!

Best of luck!

PS: Is your client interested in having photos digitally retouched or enhanced? I am opening a site just for that and giving people free credits! If she is interested tell her to email me@truceco.com! Thanks!
  • lentik
  • lentik

Post 3+ Months Ago

Somehow my Internet Explorer doesn't display any of your pictures. I used Internet Explorer 6.0 and all I can see is a background colors and broken links to the pictures...
  • CraigL
  • Born
  • Born
  • CraigL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very Nice. The only thin I noticed that kind of stood out to me was the philosophy page had a scrolling layer over the background image and on the contact page the image scrolled with the text. IMHO it would be nice if they matched. Lastlly, at least for me, the test was kind of hard to read on the contact page. Over all its a great site though.
  • mtheory
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Branford CT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wonderful presentation.

Just one critisism and it's a big one.

Popup for the larger images. Why, when you can very easily load them int a windo contained within the Flash.

You potentialy present yourself with a big problem when it comes to some popup blockers. Also using the popup javascript complicates things and compounds the possibility of cross-browser compatability.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers