SITE REVIEW: Cadence Photography - MAC testers wanted

• uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought that I was done with This Page after having worked it over a couple of times so that it would display perfectly in IE and in Firefox, then my client loads it up on her computer which is a Mac, and the menu items are all kind of floating over to the left of the page instead of being centered... I know she uses IE, and I had heard from a different Mac/Firefox user that the page looked fine for them.

So anyways though, I have reworked the page yet again in hopes that it will display properly on yet another browser (specifically my clients browser!).. This is the New Page that I need Mac users to test out for me and let me know if everything is appearing centered. I have been trying to call my client to get her to test it out but she is not answering her phone, so I lean to the Ozzu community for assistance! :D

I am more or less specifically looking for Mac testers, but I would also appreciate feedback from anyone so inclined to comment on the site!

edit/ Since this thread got moved into the Official Site Reviews section I'm going to add in THIS LINK TO THE BEGINNING index page of the Cadence site. I mostly want to know if the one page mentioned is centered, but while you guys are reviewing the site you may as well see the whole thing from the start also..

Thanks Guys n Gals!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• zcorpan
  • Student
  • Student
  • zcorpan

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.danvine.com/icapture/ :wink:
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is Extremely Helpful

I thank you!
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

I still urge some LIVE PEOPLE to check out the site as well though, help me get an idea across different screen res's/browsers/etc.., not to mention critique!

Thanks all 8)

edit/

I know Moderators, this is not the website review forum.. :wink: j/k
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

uknightuss wrote:
I know Moderators, this is not the website review forum.. :wink: j/k

Sorry, but you're asking for a review.

//moved
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, your site doesn't like my browser too much.... The first one's fine, but the others are a bit iffy. Click on each for a larger version... I'm using Firefox 1.0 in Linux, btw.

http://www.cadencephotography.com/wedd/cphome.htm

http://www.cadencephotography.com/wedd/dtemp.htm

http://www.cadencephotography.com/wedd/

As for the actual content of the site, I like it! Some of your photography is incredibly impressive. :shock: I don't like the grey background to the iframe so much - I think it would look better in colour. Not much colour, but some. :wink:
  • zcorpan
  • Student
  • Student
  • zcorpan

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you test your website with windows: IE, Firefox, Opera and view it in Safari w/ iCapture, you have covered the most areas. Of course, you might want to test with the KHTML rendering engine aswell... You can, without having to install linux ;)

Download Knoppix and burn it on a CD, then you can boot linux live from the CD and test in Konqueror under Linux :)

The screen resolution is simply visualized through Opera's Page Zoom. edit: or resize the window...
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Safari uses the KHTML rendering engine. As much as I'd like to advocate Linux, it's not entirely necessary in this case. :wink:
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Maedhros,

will you please look at This revised page with the same browser you used to make the screenshots for me?

I'd like to find out if the alignment problem is resolved particularly on your machine as well as any others.

Thanks for the help!
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

THIS is what the site should look like
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah, it looks like it's supposed to, now. :)
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks again for checking that out!

I think I'm on the right track now-

I am now set up to do my site testing on both PC & MAC, IE, Firefox, Safari, Mozilla, and Konqueror! I have not done any testing in Netscape though.. So far the site looks good in all browsers mentioned above, both on Mac and PC. Thank God!

I am new to using Linux though, can anyone tell me if "Knoppix" comes with an html editor and an ftp utility? I would like to boot up with knoppix and be able to do my web testing + modifications without restarting out of knoppix..

I'll probably end up asking that question in a new thread in a different forum.. But if anyone notices before that happens and can help answer, I would appreciate it!

Thanks2all
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

That depends on what you mean by a HTML editor. It has Kate, which is a text editor with very good syntax highlighting, and almost certainly others. There might not be space for a dedicated editor though... As for ftp, you can use konqueror for that, and apparently the cd comes with ncftp too, which is a very nice console ftp client that I use regularly.

Never underestimate the power of Knoppix! :)
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I started out doing webpage designs in frontpage and still use it sometimes but am learning dreamweaver now. I know enough about html for the most part that I can edit it in notepad if I need to. (I don't know html well enough to make my pages validate yet though... :( )

So basically I am looking for what I can use to edit a site that I'm working on through Knoppix/Linux, and be able to upload my changes without having to go into Windows to use my ftp client or wysiwyg editor..

I was trying to use Konqueror to log into my site via "ftp.mysite.com", but was not able to log in, I was probably doing something wrong.. I did find some text editor in Knoppix (I forget the name of it), that allowed me to edit my page's html, but I was not able to log into my ftp space to upload any changes..
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

One last followup on this thread and then I will let it go the way of the dodo.

I figured out what I was doing wrong trying to log into ftp via the konqueror browser. Also, the software that I found in Knoppix to edit my pages is called "Nedit".

So basically now I can do my testing and editing/uploading changes all through Knoppix! Just what I wanted :D

Thanks for the help, tips, and links you fellow Ozzu'ers!
  • luna360
  • Born
  • Born
  • luna360
  • Loc: Brisbane

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.danvine.com/icapture/
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

Someone beat you to that link luna, they mentioned it on page 1 of this thread. Thank you anyways though for sharing the resource!

I can still use help though because the real problem I've discovered is not that Safari displays improperly, but that IE on Mac is the problem.. Because of this reason icapture only works oh so well for testing.. :wink:

My client runs IE on her Mac, and she was telling me that the page was not displaying right, that things were misaligned or something. I think I have most of the errors figured out, but am still fixing a few bugs here and there..

I found that Konqueror on Knoppix displays pages very similarly to IE on Mac. I've been using this to do my testing in the place of Mac/IE..
  • zcorpan
  • Student
  • Student
  • zcorpan

Post 3+ Months Ago

try to set the text direction...
Code: [ Select ]
<html dir="ltr">
although, according to this test it is only a problem with IE5.0 on windows...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers