I'd like some feedback on this site.

http://www.cakesyourway.com

Thanks
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice! No validation errors ... sweet man! ... there are 5 warnings in the CSS checker though ... Not errors ... just warnings ... you can see them here

I would really think about changing that header image though ... it looks too much like a word clip-art picture ... I don't mean this harshly, I just say what I see ... You can get some really nice ones at stockexchange ( http://www.sxc.hu ) ...

I think on your gallery the little arrows are a bit too close to the sides of the pictures ... and maybe you want to add a border to it because the images aren't always the same width from either arrow, so it looks uneven ...

then on the contact form you may want to add asterisks to the compulsory fields, so you make sure users don't get annoyed ... then also in the email field you can also try to check if it's a valid email because I just got away with "rt" as an email address ... One workaround to that is to just check if there's a "@" and a "." in the string (seeing that you check it client side first) ...

It would be cool if you could click on a date on the "Availability" page and then it automatically opens the "contact" page with that date filled in or something like that ... just a suggestion though ... I think I'm trying to get too fancy now maybe ...

Further than that ... Love it ...
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool thanks for the feedback. I'll talk to the client about the header.

As far as the validations go i thought it should check for @ and . guess I will have to look into that.

As far as clicking on the date, thats an awesome idea unfortunately its a bit over my head. Does anyone know a way to pull this off fairly easily?
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice design, and I agree with everything RT's said. The only thing I'd like to add is it'd be good to put a picture of the cake-maker-person on the About page, so people know who they're dealing with. :)

p.s. though I wouldn't bother if they're one of those naturally evil-looking people.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well she is naturally semi evil not pure evil what about then. Also I talked to her last night and she likes the frilly cartoony header. She does want to add some images to the first page of a couple of cakes. I will check with her on the image thing on the About Us page nice idea B.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't see the order in the links. Did you just plop them right there? Just a suggestion. A site lookes more proffesional if the order of the main navigation links are in order. :) Usually, people put the About Us and Contact Us last.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

They are in order. The client thought that the current order made more sense, she thinks people being able to get to know her and get in contact with her is more important then the pricing or availablility.
  • etrader
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's very simple
in any case it is your strategy

but the colors should be modified, you need to use some contrasts in the colors
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

You did a great job tieing in the colours. They wouldn't be my choice, but you made the colours work. One thing I must wonder though, is do the colours on the website really make someone think of cake, much less any food at all? Different colours put people in different moods. Do some Google searching, you'll be surprised how colours affect you.

I don't know that your home page has enough info on it. It seems kind of bare, and I don't think it should be centered like that. The first thing you do is ask people to go to another page. The home page should be looked at as your ONLY opportunity to make a sale. Your homepage doesn't do a good enough job enticing the customer.

Try putting a picture of your last cake on there. a small description of what you specialize in... I don't know. What I do know is that based off the website, I I am not interested in purchasing a cake from you.

One last thing. On your calendar, the dates which you are unavailable should not stand out like they do. The dates that you are available should stand out. The way it is done right now seems like you're trying to inform them of the bad news of not being available on those days, instead of the good news of being available on the others.

I hope I have been of at least some help. I would really appreciate your feedback on my website. =D
  • zooped
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the colors - the site is very clean

1 suggestion - add some images to the home page - maybe a flash gallery

Overall the sites is very nice

good luck with it
  • theBruney
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Easy on the eyes. It's neat.
  • Artchy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice, It looks great & has a lot of information. If i were you i would show a map of where your located. (don't know if this is good advice). I just find it usefull.

nice! its hard to say advice cause its soo nice.
  • anointing
  • Born
  • Born
  • anointing

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not bad.

I'm in the process of building a cake site for my mum's cake business
using HTML 4.01 transitional. I find simplicity in layout and ease of navigation are key issues to focus. My site will feature thumbnails of cakes on the left of each page and an Iframe on the right side featuring details of the cakes as the thumnails are clicked.

Amazingly, on brainstorming keywords relating to cakes, I came up with nearly 1000 words and phrases with a combined daily search of over 100,000. Well worth pursuing with adsense as a secondary income stream.

On the topic of keyword research, I came upon an absolute gem of a tool the other day: http://searchit.sitesell.com. It's an integrated tool for keyword research, SEO, link building and much more - all free.
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site...but for the home page, I would add some image...possibly of the outside of the bakery, etc.
Otherwise, it's very nice...I really like the calender segment...that's something not too many sites have. Good job.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers